Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What time does Santorini sun set in summer?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 05:16 AM
carol

We're going last week of June and only have two nights and want to make sure that we can catch this both nights. Thanks.

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 05:47 AM
xxx

duh, you're going to be there for two nights and want to make sure there will be a sunset you won't miss? Last time I checked the sun sets every night, so how could you miss one? Here's a brazen thought. Check when you get there -- I can't imagine how it would be possible to miss the sunset. It's usually between the daylight hours and nighttime.

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 06:05 AM
susan

I think you are overplanning. I suppose you could find this information somewhere for the exact dates, but what is the point? Enjoy the relaxed pace in Greece. When it happens, it happens. Do you really have to plan your schedule down to the minute so far in advance?

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 06:34 AM
carol

To clarify, if we place Santorini at the beginning of our itineray, our earliest flight from Athens will not arrive until 7:30 pm. If the sun sets late we may be able to catch it. The sunset is one of the reasons we are trying to squeeze this island into our brief stay and will also be a deciding factor in which hotel we choose. Else, we may place this island at the end of our stay or choose another island to visit. So, if anyone has been there at this time of year, could you kindly tell me about what time the sun sets?

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 06:46 AM
Patrick

There is a way to find this information specifically -- check Google, but you will need latitude and longitude information.<BR>However, sunset in Athens the last week of June will be 8:50 PM. Sunset in Santorini would probably be just a little earlier as it is south of there.

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 06:47 AM
Sue

Santorini is beautiful anytime during the day; I think it would be a shame to miss it just b/c you're not sure of exact time of sunset. We got to the &quot;right place&quot; in Oia at the right time to see the sunset, and whereas it certainly was beautiful, I don't know that it was any more awe inspiring than waking up in the morning and stepping outside the villa to see the caldera stretching before us in the morning light.

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 06:55 AM
Carol

Thank you Patrick.

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 07:50 AM
kristy

There is a website www.timeanddate.com that will tell local time as well as sunrise/set info.