6 days in Athens and ?

Jun 1st, 2005, 07:34 AM
EPC
Original Poster

6 days in Athens and ?

After traveling from NY I will effectively have 6 days in Greece. Is this worth the trip? 2 days Athens and then 2 days Santorini and another island? or 4 days in Santorini? I also can't seem to get from Athens to Santorini on flights. Any suggestions? Any other islands a must see? How do I get to them? Help!!!
Jun 1st, 2005, 08:17 AM

hi epc!

6 days is not a whole lot of time to explore greece. i would pick 2-3 places in greece and focus your trip around that.

my husband and i loved athens. the view of the acropolis from anywhere in the city is astounding. we went in april so the city pollution, smoke from the many greek smokers and the heat did not bug us. if you are going in summer, it may bug you so this is something to consider. all of our friends told us to get our butts out of athens asap, but we are so happy that we did not listen to them. we only spent 2.5 days there and could have spent more, but we are city people.

if you are a beach person, you may enjoy the islands more. naxos has beautiful beaches and is a 4.5 hour ferry ride from athens. if you go there, eat at irini's for good greek food.

santorini is a 8-9 hour ferry ride from athens, but you can take a hydrofoil ferry and get there faster (6 hours?). if you are going to santorini in the summer, beware that it is touristy. it's beautiful, but so are other places in greece. also something to consider -- high winds caused us to be stranded on santorini. no planes were flying into the island b/c of the winds. i wish someone had told us that. we were so ready to leave the island, but couldn't. we got bored on santorini, but you may not. we wish we had only stayed 2 days instead of 4. also realize that santorini is not known for its beaches, more for its uniqueness. you can hike the caldera, go visit akritori (it was closed when we were there!), ancient thira, art space, etc. if you are going in high tourist season, the flights to santorini may be booked. did you check aegean or olympic airlines? as you have found out, not all islands have airports and the ones that do, don't necessarily connect. for example, you cannot take a direct flight from rhodes to santorini. realize, these are tiny, tiny airports.

i would buy a guide book to learn more about getting around mainland greece and the islands.

if my husband and i could do greece over again, we would have chosen to visit crete and parts of mainland greece rather than santorini. we did enjoy naxos, but we feel no need to return.

good luck,

sora
Jun 1st, 2005, 08:22 AM

I can't personally imagine what you would do for 4 days on Santorini unless you wanted to spend time at the beach. And I understand that the beaches on other islands are much nicer than on Santorini. Honeymooners generally seem more enthusiastic about longer times on Santorini. I noticed a lot of others, when I was actively researching my trip, said a couple of days was enough. Fifty two hours was more than sufficient for my husband and me.

Are you saying that all the flights are full from Athens to Santorini? When are you traveling?
Surprising unless you're going to leave very soon that all Olympic and Aegean flights are full. With the short amount of time you will have, it would be shame to spend so much of it on a ferry to Santorini. Maybe that's a clue that you should go to another island instead.

Are you interested in another island pretty close to Santorini with a high-speed cat connection? Maybe you could fly there, take a cat to Santorini, then fly back to Athens from Santorini.
I just got back from Athens-Santorini-Crete-Athens where I flew to Santorini, took the cat to Heraklion (under two hours but it's usually late, I hear, so figure about 3, including your half hour at the port before the scheduled departure, will be used up in transit.)

BTW,there's a lot more to do and see on Crete, though it has a different kind of beauty. (Greener for one thing.) I wouldn't go back to Santorini but I would go back to Crete in a heartbeat. If you can't get to Santorini efficiently, try Crete. Four days just scratches the surface and you could use all of your 4 days seeing stuff, not part in changing location. Or check this forum for other suggestions and trip reports on other island that you can get flights to. See what flights are available to what island first, then research the islands you can fly to.
Jun 1st, 2005, 11:52 AM
EPC
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your suggestions. Yes we are supposedly leaving very soon June 15th! But I have a feeling that there isn't a enough time for the amount of flying time we will be doing. Any other great suggestions for a quick interesting trip for 6 days? Just thought I would throw this out there
Jun 1st, 2005, 12:02 PM

We loved Athens as the first poster had mentioned; so don't shortchange it it is a great city.

We also went to Santorini and I could have spent the summer there!!! It helped we had luxurious accommmodations. Loved Crete too.

With 6 days, I would split it between Athens and an island you can cover. While i loved Crete, I think you might need more time there. 3 days in Santorini is enough for you to get a taste of island life, but not too much that you will become bored. there are other islands i am sure that are not as touristy or as busy, but i do feel you need to see Santorini; if only for its sheer beauty.

Try Santorini, you'll love it as it first time visit to Athens.

See my trip report: Fantastic Time in Athens, Santorini and Crete.

Let me know if you need any more assistance.