Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Greece islands for 5 or 6 days in Late April...HELP!

Apr 5th, 2007, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

I know Fodorites skew older but thought someone could offer guidance to my daughter and friend on planning a short trip to Greece on the cheap. They are looking for an itinerary and transportation plan to visit Athens and an island or two. They will probably stay at hostels. Thanks in advance. Here is DD's post from another site:

"My friend and I are both 23 year old females from the states. We are both currently working in London and want to take a 5-6 day trip to Greece at the end of April. Although we are interested in spending a day or 2 in Athens, we really want to see the islands or island.

We were thinking of going on a 3 or 4 day cruise or are we better off just taking a ferry and staying on the islands?
Also, what island or islands to go to? We were thinking maybe Santorini or Mykonos..

Also, is there a way we could do this trip for under 300 pounds but still have a good time?

Apr 5th, 2007, 03:56 PM

DON't do a cruise! You see very little of the country, you are only there at each spot long enough to go to tourist traps, etc.

All personal preference of course, but I would pick EITHER Santorini or Mykonos rather than trying to do 2. In Athens, stay at Hotel Tempi, doubles around 55E. Hotel Keti on Santorini or Philippi on Mykonos. Nice and inexpensive, about 60E each.

To vary the experience, on one of your Athens days you might want to take a day trip to Aegina or (by high speed) to Hydra.
Apr 5th, 2007, 04:28 PM

Definitely forget the cruise and stick to one island. You don't have enough time for two unless you take a daytrip to Hydra or Aegina as has been suggested. The Youth Hostel Oia in the most beautiful village on the island of Santorin is also the best hostel on the island.

http://www.santorinihostel.gr/
Apr 5th, 2007, 07:08 PM

My boyfriend and I (college students) traveled to Greece last summer and we spent a couple days in Athens and a couple days in Santorini. We flew to Santorini and stayed in Pension Petros in Fira. One day we went on a little excursion to the volcano and hot springs. Another day we rented an 4 wheeler and went up to Oia and also down South to the Red Beach. We also spent a day at another beach...I can't remember the exact name - maybe Pernisses. Taking a boat to the islands is very long and I'm not sure about the price - we opted for a flight because it was faster.
Apr 9th, 2007, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for replies so far.
Flights are not cheap and ferries are long to Santorini, so I am thinking daughter and friend should forget Santorini and go to some island closer or another mainland location. They only have 4 or 5 days not including travel days to/from UK. Maybe they should wait until they are in Athens and then decide side trip(s) to take.
From other posts, sounds like ferries can be booked after they arrive. What do you think?
Apr 9th, 2007, 10:22 AM

http://www.islandstrolling.com/diskusjon_2007_2/

This site will help you a lot!
Apr 9th, 2007, 11:06 AM

You don't say what your daughter and friend are interested in doing on the islands, but for that early in the season Mykonos would be a good choice. From Rafina, Mykonos can be reached by highspeed ferry in less than three hours. It has a good mixture of beaches, nightlife, and ancient sites (Delos). Late April will still be fairly quiet, and it may be too cool for sunbathing, but then again maybe not. Spring weather on the Greek Islands is fickle - it's been warmer in the UK the last few days.
Apr 11th, 2007, 01:36 PM

I agree with the no cruise. I hate to think one gets all the way to Greece and skips the Cyclades. I think Santorini is a place everyone should see. There are overnight ferries to Santorini from Piraeus and The Dolphin Hydrofoil. Yes, you can book ferries when you get there. There are several lines. Paying for the flight is worth it.
Apr 12th, 2007, 09:54 AM

Why not a cruise?
You have a your own floating hotel (donīt have to book others) and can visit the islands without any stress.
G
Apr 12th, 2007, 01:34 PM

Gaspard, it is a different strokes for different folks thing. The Greek islands are so unique, they cry out to be explored, but most cruises only give you 4-6 hours in a port, hardly enough time to get your bearings. You certainly won't find those out of the way special places and memories.

Also you pay for an abundance of mediocre food instead of discovering that great island taverna and meeting the locals.

Now I like cruises, but I would prefer the cruise itself to be the destination (like the Bakamas cruises), rather than in Greece, where the ports are the main draw.
Apr 12th, 2007, 06:58 PM

Just because Santorini is futher out, don't discount it. They can fly there quickly and easily, and it is a unique and breathtaking island. I agree withe the other posters who advise sticking to one island. Both Mykonos and Santorini are touristy, but still great. I'd hate to choose: Santorini is SPECTACULAR. It has nice black sand beaches, ruins, a volcano, and great nightlife. Mykonos is also very scenic, has great white sand beaches, legendary nightlife, ruins (on closeby Delos; bring the dramamine for the boatride It even has the photogenic windmills and the famous pelican. I've also done a 7-night cruise, although they have 3 and 4-night cruises, too. Honestly, for younger people, skip the cruise and take in the beaches, sights, shopping, and nightlife on one of the islands. Cruises are fun, but have a mostly older crowd. They can't go wrong with either Santorini or Mykonos. 2 nights Athens/ 3 nights 1 island - that will work well. BTW, I was in my mid 20's when I did all my traveling in Greece. Perfect for them!
Apr 13th, 2007, 01:48 AM

Hi Susan

I can't figure out why your daughter if she is working in London has not window shopped for last minute deals at places like Thomas Cook on Piccadilly for instance where at this time of year there must be some greatly reduced packages to Greece.
If they want to go independently Aegean Air have had flights between Athens and the islands for as little as 19 euros plus tax, check out their website. There are hundreds of websites with accommodation in Greece, they need to choose the destination first and then research the prices, put up a google search.
They could take a package to Crete and whilst there do a day trip to Santorini on a cruise ship, you have plenty of time there and if they like beaches Santorini is not the place for those. Crete is a beautiful island with many diverse areas to explore as well as lovely beaches.