Greece/Crete/Santorini

Jul 10th, 2017, 09:42 PM
Original Poster

Greece/Crete/Santorini

My husband and I will be traveling to Greece Oct. 16 - 25. We were planning to arrive in Athens, fly directly to Crete and spend 3 nights there, then on Oct. 19 take a ferry to Santorini and stay 3 nights there, then fly to Athens and spend the last 3 nights there.

The problem is, I can't find any ferries to take me from Crete to Santorini, so I then have to fly back from Crete to Athens and get another round trip flight from Athens to Santorini on Oct. 19. The roundtrip flight to Crete is expensive. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get from Crete to Santorini? Should I just skip Crete and stay longer in Athens and Santorini?
Jul 10th, 2017, 10:26 PM

There is a ferry from Crete to Santorini in the summer at least, but it may stop running by October. Maybe one the Greek experts knows.

But in any event, 3 days is not much for Crete, you would only get to see one small part so maybe skip Crete this trip for a time you could spend a week or more. We did 8 days and only covered a small part with that amount of time.

Can you find ferries at that time from Santorini to Athens? There is a route that goes from Santorini to Naxos to Paros to Athens - again, at least in summer. If that one is still running I'd start with Santorini and then do one or two days each in Naxos and Paros. If that ferry is not still running I'd stick to Athens and the mainland. You could go to Napflion or Delphi or take day trips to the islands that are right close to Athens.
Jul 11th, 2017, 03:50 AM

I agree that 3 days is not enough time for Crete. It may not be worth flying there then getting to Santorini.

Crete is Greece's largest island and deserves many days if not weeks to fully experience.

How about an island closer to the mainland and combining that with Santorini? There are numerous island combinations that could work.

Bear in mind October, which is when we go to Greece, is off season so many islands will have closed down their tourism section but there'll always be enough open for locals.

Santorini will still have crowds but not like summer so should be more bearable.

A little research on your part will find an island combination with Santorini that may work better than Crete.

Check out Matt's Greek Island Guide for more info:

http://www.greektravel.com/greekislands/
Jul 11th, 2017, 04:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, very good information. I think I will save Crete for another visit. I will look into flying into Santorini from Athens, staying at least 3 days there, then spending the remainder of my time in Athens and taking day trips from Athens to other islands nearby.

Do you think 3 days in Santorini is enough? I am looking at staying in the Oia area.
Jul 11th, 2017, 07:05 AM

Three days on Santorini is enough. As I stated earlier October is off season so the crowds will be less but still more than some would like. Just depends on what you like.

Athens deserves at the minimum 3 days to fully experience, not only the tourist areas but the non-touristy areas.

Recommendations for Athens:

Acropolis
Agora
Kerimikos Cemetery
New Acropolis & National Museums
Hadrian's Library
Roman Forum

Side trips/stops:
Anafiotika (a must)
Central Markets (a must)
Psiri District (more local atmosphere with more knowledgeable tourists checking it out.
Changing of the Guards
Hadrian's Arch (OK if you are a history buff)
Temple to Zeus (OK if you are a history buff)

Lots of other museums, churches and areas to explore.

You can do a day trip to Nafplio, the islands of Aegina or Hydra.

You'll probably not have enough time to explore Athens and all the areas to see plus day trips but if you manage it right you should get to see everything one goes to Athens for.

I would check out Anafiotika and the Central Markets has must-see.

If you have a free day then a day trip to the island of Aegina would be good. Leave early morning and see an overlooked island and still return late afternoon and have a time for night out in Athens.
Jul 11th, 2017, 11:15 AM

Instead of Crete, stay three nights in Napflion, a beautiful waterfront city surrounded by significant antiquities.
Jul 11th, 2017, 09:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again for all the good suggestions. This will definitely help me plan my trip!
Jul 12th, 2017, 03:02 AM

I agree with the post a few posts above. Check ferry schedules from Santorini to Athens, and flight schedules from Paros or Naxos to Athens. IF all of these are still running in October, you could stop at either Paros or Naxos on your way back.