Our Greece Vacation

Old Sep 28th, 2005, 05:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Our Greece Vacation

We just returned from our first visit to Athens, Mykonos,Naxos, and Santorini. We enjoyed every minute, finding the people extremely warm and helpful and even Athens spotlessly clean. We stayed in expensive hotels and we were very pleased with each one. I did the trip myself and for the first time used the internet to often have special rates. We also bought all our ferry tickets over the internet andit all worked out very well. I researched a lot of restaurants and found that, in the end, there are so many great places to eat and they do not have to be expensive to be delicious. We also used a driver in Athens as we didn't speak Greek and had 1 full day to see everything. He did a terrific job, was there right on time and took us where we wanted to go as well as making good suggestions. He was very pleasant, didn't smoke and spoke English very well. The ferry rides went very smoothly and I suggest first class seats unless you plan to be outside the entire time. This was especially important for the 5 hour ferry from Athens to Mykonos.
I have many suggestions and can't put them all down here, but if anyone has any questions on any of the islands, I would be
glad to share them with you.
jjashworth
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 05:50 PM

I'm glad to hear you had a nice time. We are planning the same trip for June, Athens,Mykonos, Naxos and Santorini. We are going to use Fantasy Travel. We've never been to Europe, so we've decided to use them to handle the logistics.

I have a ton of questions but I'll just start with these:
Which beaches did you think were the best?
Which island was the hardest to leave?
Thanks for any info.
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 04:58 AM

What hotels did you stay in in Athens and Santorini? What restaurants did you like in Santorini? Did you find the ferries to be punctual? (We are concerned about missing our 3 p.m. flight out of Athens, as we are returning from Santorini that day, if we keep to our currently planned schedule.) Thanks in advance as we are planning a trip for May/June next year.
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 06:28 AM

Eve -

I would strongly advise that you not schedule your flight from Santorini to Athens on the same day that you're departing from Athens back home...very risky! The flight schedules from/to Santorini are known to change and even cancel...so you would stand a great chance of missing that 3:00 flight in Athens. At minimum, I would stay one night in Athens prior to your departure.

Here is a link to my Santorini trip report -- contains details on our hotel (Esperas) and dining.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34615427

Happy planning!
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 07:07 AM

Thanks. We were worried about that. Wouldn't we have the ferry as a backup? FYI: The airline has two flights from Santanori that day before noon.
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 07:22 AM

I don't think the ferry would be a good backup -- isn't it a fairly long trip from Santorini to Athens? I'm not really familiar with it...I think others here are, though.

There may be 2 flights scheduled *currently* that day before noon. But I wouldn't take that gamble that they'll still exist on the day you fly! We made plans in Jan for our April trip and had anticipated a 2 hr layover in Athens based on their scheduled flights between islands. Shortly before our trip, we got a change in schedule notification and our 2 hr layover turned into a 5 hr layover...just very hard to predict what the schedule will be like.
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 12:41 PM

We just returned from our first trip to Greece last weekend and we had a wonderful time. Our only disappointment was the hotel in Santorini - La Perla Villas. I've posted pictures if you are interested. http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sengamilne/my_photos
Take a facecloth with you, always carry a little package of tissues and I would highly recommend upgrading the ferry to business class so you can be sure of getting a comfortable seat. We spent 5 hours on the Blue Star Ferry from Athens to Mykonos - not a comfortable ride. We used the Flyingcat from Mykonos to Santorini and it was only 1/2 hour late but it was scheduled to depart at 5:30 from Santorini to Crete and didn't arrive until 7:10. They say it is ALWAYS late so keep that in mind.
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 02:09 PM

Hi jjashworth:

Sounds like you had a great trip. We are also planning a very similar trip in June, 2006. We'll be going to Chania,Crete, after Athens, then on to Santorini and Naxos. Would be interested in where you stayed and your reviews. We have some reservations, but always open to new suggestions. Thank you for any information you can provide. What was your driver's name/phone # in Athens?
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 08:52 PM

I agree that it is better to spend the last night in Athens rather than rely on a flight the day you are returning. For a 3pm flight, you would have to check in 2 or even 3 hours before and a dely could cause you to miss it. If you spend the last night in Athens, you would be more relaxed and not have to worry about an early start and the stress of possible delays.
Good luck'
Carolina
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 07:25 AM

Hi There, it sounds like a great trip. I am in the infancy stages of planning my trip and would like some information on the best way to get from Athens to Santorini. Can you provide the ferry website address? What about Naxos for 5 to 6 nights. Would like to break the trip up a bit. 2 nights in Athens, then on to Santorini or Naxos for 5 to 6 nights and then to the Naxos or Santorini. Then back to Athens for the last night. I am on a single woman's budget. Thanks so much.
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 10:28 AM

The most complete ferry info website (as long as the timetables are current) is www.gtp.gr.

The "best" wat to get to Santorini is by flying. Aegean Airways has several flights/day and are less-expensive than Olympic as well as more reliable.
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 02:53 PM
Original Poster

Hi,
So many questions--will try to answer some of them this time and more later. In Athens, we stayed at the Grande Bretagne, expensive but excellent in every way. We ate at the Olive Garden restaurant at the Talapia Hotel, high up with a gorgeous view of the Acropolis. We used Jordan Daioglou as a driver. He was terrific-spoke English well, very knowledgable and willing to please us. Recommend him very highly. With 1 full day to see everthing he was great. His web sight is: www.athens-tours.gr. I booked all the ferries over the internet and picked them up down the street from our hotel at a Blue Ferry. Book business and you will have non-smoking areas and less hastle. Ferrys are fun--you just need to know when to get down to be off the boat before the crowds.
We ferried from Athens to Mykonos and then from Mykonos to Paxos and then on to Naxos. In Mykonos stayed at Kivotos Hotel--expensive, small room, but lovely with excellent service. Had dinner in town, once at Chez Maria and once in Little Venice. Both very good dinners. Do not miss a trip to Delos and be sure to have a guide to explain everything.Stayed in Naxos at Villa Mirandi--terrific hotel and terrific people there! Very helpful. Largest island-rent a car and see it. Have lunch at Abrami Beach-best moussaka ever!Ask at hotel for directions. Had dinner at Lucullus in town--excellent taverna.On to Santorini-relaxing ferry ride. We stayed at Katikies Suites which you need to book early. Lots and lots of up and down stairs so not for those not in decent shape or older people. Beautiful--excellent service and the view can only be seen to appreciate it. Loved this place! Dinner there first night and in Oia the second at Scala restaurant. Liked it so much had lunch there the next day. Excellent veal! Lambchops also excellent and very reasonable everywhere! Also, hired a boat for just the 2 of us for a 2 hour ride around the island and over to the Volcano. Excellent choice--Captain Lambros-terrific guy who just gave a wonderful boat ride without being out all day. George can be reached at:www.blu.gr/tholos-email:[email protected]. Also go to Akrotiri and have lunch at Remezzo Fish tavern. Very nice on the beach.
I can go on and on, but hope this helps. Oh, beaches--we live on the southern coast of Maine in the US and we have gorgeous soft white sand so we were a bit disappointed in the beaches everywhere. Not a priority on this trip.

Last day we flew Aegean not Olympia which is more and less reliable. Took the 7 :00 flight so we had the whole day in Santerini. Back to Athens-stayed right at airport at Soffitel Hotel. Had dinner and had a leisurly morning before ourflight left at 12:00. Well worth it-right across from the airport door and you are there!
I booked mostly through the internet and it truly worked and was in most cases cheaper but you were committed. September is the best time to go-warm water and less crowds.
Hope this helps everyone!
jjashworth
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 04:16 PM

Thank you sooo much for taking the time to post your information. I'll print your report and keep in my trip file. I'll email Jordan the driver and see if I can set up something with him. I can't wait to go - the countdown is torture!!. Thanks again.