Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What should I pack to Paris this time of the year ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23rd, 2011, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am sure this question has been asked many times before.

I am not asking from fashion perspective, more from weather perspective.

Should I pack some short sleeves, sleeveless stuff and carry jackets to layer with ? Does it get warmer as the day goes by?

Planning on taking few cargo pants, Jeans, assorted tops, dresses.. Not so much skirts, since I can't manage sight seeing with them on

How dressy should we be for shows ? What about jewelry? Should I leave all "real" stuff back home and carry costume jewelry?

Thanks for reading through all the questions
Old Sep 23rd, 2011, 08:09 AM

most of all, have some rain gear.
I have rarely been in Paris when an umbrella did not come in handy.

If you are going to the Opera , you might wear something other than cargo pants.
I always wear my 'real" rings and( an expensive) watch .
Old Sep 23rd, 2011, 08:17 AM

Check weather.com for a 10 day forecast before you do your final packing. Take rain gear and things you can layer depending on the forecast.

A pair of dressy slacks and a dress will come in handy especially if you are going to dressy restaurants or to concerts, etc. Otherwise I find dark slacks that can be worn with a variety of sweaters and tops to be most useful.
Old Sep 23rd, 2011, 08:39 AM

Pack the same way as you would to go anywhere with that general climate and temps. It's basically the same as the mid-Atlantic US region, if you know that (ie, Wash DC-NYC). As well as many other states. If you have never been to the US or that part of it, and don't know what I mean, your plans sound fine.

I don't own expensive jewelry so can't comment on that issue from a personal preference, but it just seems unnecessary to be worrying about taking expensive jewels on a trip while a tourist. Why do you even feel the necessity to do that.

I don't know what kind of shows you intend to go to, but again, dress the same way you think appropriate for that activity in any major city where you would visit. If you've been to any theater or performing arts in the last few years, audiences don't really dress up that much nowadays, usually. But I would think you would want to dress a certain way just to look decent based on what you prefer. No one will kick you out of anything. Opera generally can be a little dressier than other things (probably because it is so expensive) but even there, the variation is tremendous and no one will kick you out, even if you went in jeans.
Old Sep 23rd, 2011, 10:16 AM

Layers are best. I always travel with a cashmere wrap that is great for so many situations-especially is I get chilly in a restaurant or on the street. Agree with the umbrella suggestion...a travel one that fits in your purse or backpack is a must!

I would never travel with too much expensive jewelry. I wear my wedding rings and nice watch with no trouble, but I wouldn't take more than that. I would also limit expensive purses, etc...they can be "thief" magnets

I always take a nice pair of black slacks that can be dressed up easily. You will find a bait of everything at Opera Garnier. So just look nice and well put together and you will be fine there (I wouldn't wear cargos to Garnier).
Old Sep 23rd, 2011, 10:32 AM

Never travel with real jewelry unless it's a wedding ring you never take off.

Weather can be quite warm during the daybut quite cool at night.

It will rain if you are there more than 2 or 3 days - and quite possibly even then..

Bring a raincoat, 2 pair of comfy waterproof walking shoes and a sturdy folding umbrella.
Old Sep 23rd, 2011, 10:33 AM

Rain gear, for sure. I don't like to have my hands tied up with an umbrella or have to open and close one when going from the street into a store or restaurant and back out again, so I travel with a three-quarter-length lightweight Gortex jacket that has one of those protruding hoods (and lots of pockets, which is also a boon). Waterproof shoes, 2-3 long-sleeve cotton or knit tops, one blouse or shirt,a sweater, a jacket to pair with skirts or pants, one pair of jeans, one pair of slacks, two skirts, one long knit top that I wear as a dress over tights, tights or leggings, gloves. I never travel with expensive jewelry.
Old Sep 23rd, 2011, 08:02 PM

You never really know what the weather will be and it can change very quickly. I was in Paris 10 Oct. last year and will be there the same time this year. Last year I took a quilted Burberry jacket and was too warm in the sunshine and cool in the shade, but generally it was a good weight. By 14 Oct., the sunshine went away and the real cold began. I layered everything I could underneath that jacket and had to go out and purchase gloves. I've never taken a raincoat and have found an umbrella to be sufficient. (I hope I don't jinx myself by saying that.) If it would upset me to lose a particular piece of jewelry, I don't take it.