Dress for Paris ballet at Opera Garnier

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15th, 2010, 04:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do most Parisians dress up for the ballet or other occasions at Opera Garnier? Suits for men, cocktail attire for women?
Old Oct 15th, 2010, 04:45 PM

No - most people will not be in suits - and certainly not cocktail dresses. But most won;t be in jeans or tees either. You're more likely to see business casual or going out to dinner wear (men nice slacks with jacket or great sweater and women in a pretty pant suit or skirt outfit).

We tend to go for the latter - but definitely not a cocktail dress (over the top unless it's some sort of opening night or gala).
Old Oct 16th, 2010, 03:18 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Most people will be in the same clothes they wore to work because most won't have time to go home before the performance. Only tourists have the luxury of constantly changing clothes, generally to overdress and then feel completely out of place.
Old Oct 16th, 2010, 09:15 AM

Cocktail attire, no, although a random person will.

It's just like going to the ballet in the US, wear whatever you want that you think is appropriate. That's what I do at home and what I do in Europe. If you ever go to the ballet in the US, you know that dress ranges all over the places from folks in jeans and sneakers to a few who do wear what you might call cocktail attire. It's the same in Paris. There might be a few less who wear jeans and sneakers in Paris compared to where I go in the US (Kennedy Ctr in Washington DC usually), but I have seen some people in jeans at the OPera Garnier. Same thing for Opera Bastille, of course. Now a Parisian probably would not (I think those were Italians that I saw), but some young ones might. Parisian women don't usually wear cocktail dresses to things like that, that's for sure, even if they do look chic in what they are wearing.
Old Oct 16th, 2010, 11:56 AM

It can get pretty warm since it's always a full house, so layers such as sweaters or for men a sport coat make sense.

Be sure to have a coupe de champagne at the (I think) second level bar, either before the performance begins or at intermission. Cash only, 11 euros when we were there last year, but worth it for the scene. And don't be bashful about gawking at the sumptuous interior.