Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Season or Time of Year to Visit Barcelona, Spain

Oct 14th, 2010, 10:07 PM
Original Poster

A few weeks back, I was to have been in Barcelona for a week. Because I had a very bad cold after being on an outstanding tour of the Amalfi Coast and Tuscany via Grand Circle Travel (Boston)-- I canceled the independent portion of my trip.

A good friend of mine had planned to go in April 2011 with my joining him. Now this plan has been aborted. So, my fellow travelers, I want to go to this very and ever exciting city. When is the better time to go in terms of weather and fewer tourists? I do not want to be there during the winter months.
Oct 14th, 2010, 10:37 PM

If you want to avoid tourists then don't go in July & August - and avoid weekends as Barcelona is a main destination for Europeans on weekend breaks.

I'd go in May, June or September but the weather isn't that bad even in February.
Oct 15th, 2010, 02:30 AM

we went in September. Once we acclimatised it wasn't too hot and it was still warm enough for the beach to be very enjoyable.

There were lots of tourists around but not too many to spoil our fun.
Oct 16th, 2010, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

I appreciate the guidance and assistance that I have received. Thanks to both of these posters.
Oct 16th, 2010, 12:27 PM

If you care to swim, September and October are great. Keep in mind that the huge La Merce festival runs the week around Sept. 24. That means lots of people (Spaniards and tourists) but also lots of fun. We're just back after our second La Merce week visit and also have been in late May/early June. To avoid tourists and backpackers in spring, go before mid-May.

See my blog at http://likelivingthere.blogspot.com/