What section of Rome to stay in?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2005, 06:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HELP - I've been reading through the posts and still can't determine the best part of the city to stay in for my husband and I. I've been to Rome once (many years ago and have no clue where I stayed) and this is my husband's first trip.

From what research I've done I think somewhere around the Pantheon/Coloseum/Spanish Steps/Etc. Don't laugh - I know they're not all side by side. My ideal location would have a great view and our nights would be filled with romantic walks with restaurants within walking distance. A short cab ride to the sites with an expected longer cab ride to the Vatican. We'll only be there 3 nights before we head to Tuscany.

If you have any specific hotels to mention, that would be great too. Needs to have AC, room service, onsite bar/lounge, in room bath/shower, concierge, etc. I travel for business and am used to places like Marriotts, Hiltons and Hyatts but for this trip I want something with more charm. At one time thought about staying at the Hassler, but we just bought a bigger boat so am saving my pennies for other parts of Italy

Sorry for the long message - but I'm flummoxed (sp?) Thanks.
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 07:07 PM
rex

Del Senato - - for an excellent location, looking right out on the Pantheon.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 07:26 PM

My wife and I stay (3x) at the Albergo Santa Chiara. It's in a great location, behind the Pantheon. Enjoy!
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 01:35 AM

We stayed at the Hotel Mozart two summers ago because wanted to be near Spanish Steps. This is a boutique hotel, staff not extremely helpful as far as advice goes, but our room was very charming with frescoes on wall and furniture, beautiful terrace with lemon trees, table, and chairs, air conditioning, very nice modern large bathroom. Lovely breakfast (included) served on silver and china by maids in white frilly aprons and caps. Drawback: we took taxis to more central locations. Area around Spanish Steps gorgeous, fun, hopping at night, lots of shops, but we kept heading for central Rome to sightsee during day, towards the Pantheon area. I remember thinking it might have been better to stay there, but we loved our location. There is a cafe on the roof of the hotel which is open at night, lovely, with drinks, gelato.... I thought it was very nice to stay in a smaller hotel with character.
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 02:57 AM

Another vote for the Del Senato. Great location and a small gem of a hotel.
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 03:40 AM

This very same topic comes up all the time and was recently being debated once again.

Although I don't usually stay in that part of Rome my advice would be to GO with YOUR first inclination in terms of the area of the city to stay in. They all have their positives and negatives depending upon who you talk to.

The del Senato consistently gets recommended on this board which speaks volumes.

There's only one solution and you already know what that is: make your decision and then stick with it. AFTER you go then please write a trip report (be sure to follow the recently published "RULES" for doing so or you won't go to heaven) and tell the rest of us what you thought..and what a fabulous, hopefully, time you had.

Have a GREAT trip!!
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 04:16 AM

Hi
I love the Pantheon area (though anywhere in the general area you've outlined would be fine) and I love the Santa Chiara hotel. Based on what I've researched before and since my own trips to Italy, the Santa Chiara and the del Senato would be my choices in the future, budget permitting.

Here is a long thread on Helpful Information for Italy that may be useful also

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34443340

I also have a long file on Rome; if you'd like to see it, email me at
[email protected]
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 04:27 AM

My vote is for the Cesari. Stayed there in November and loved it. 5 minute walk to Pantheon & Trevi Fountain. 10 - 15 minute walk to Coloseum (sp?). Took a cab to Vatican but walked back. Also walked to Spanish Steps and beyond. Fantastic location and nice hotel. However, I don't think you can really go wrong in your choice of hotels if you stay in the historic area of Rome.

Loved Rome. Have a great trip.

Karl
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 12:38 PM

Intrepid,
Rules for a REPORT? I have missed that.
Where are they posted?
Maybe that's why my trip reports have not be so well-received!
Grin,
Brahmama
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 01:52 PM
rex

<<Rules for a REPORT? I have missed that. Where are they posted?>>

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34549582

...mit ein ferry big tung in zee cheek...

Old Jan 5th, 2005, 04:34 PM

I stayed at the Del Senato. The view of the Pantheon from your window is like living amongst the ancients. Plus, the rooftop lounge is an experience that I will not forget. Trevi Fountain, Piazza Navona, are within easy walking distance.
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 05:12 PM

You can have a taste of the view from the del Senato via webcam. Go to :
www.albergodelsenato.it/benvenuti.htm
and click on the webcam icon. Happy peeping!
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 06:53 PM
minnie17

Hi cathyo99,
We will be staying at the Del Senato the end of March. It is in an excellent location for walking to all the sites you mentioned. 2 years ago we stayed at the Hassler. It was very nice, great views, excellent service. We did however keep migrating toward the Pantheon, and Piazza Navona in our wanderings. So, last May we stayed at the Raphael, which is just off Pza Navona. It was also very nice. This time we are looking forward to the prime location (for our interests) of the Del Senato.
Good luck making your decision.
minnie

Old Jan 6th, 2005, 08:48 PM

It might be helpful to mention the Hotel del Senato costs 550 Euros a night for a double in June. Some of us poor folk can't quite swing that. Are there any more reasonable small hotels in this area?
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 02:07 AM

I know a very popular hotel in Trastevere, which is a 20 / 30 min walk from the city center, but with lots of all kinds of public transportantion to it. Besides the charm of being located in a 16th century convent (completely renovated)I love to see real rome. Trasteve is full of restaurants and cafes, narrow medieval streets and the hotel has a helpful staff and great breakfast Check it out:http://www.hotelsantamaria.info/

Old Jan 7th, 2005, 02:13 AM

The Italian official tourism site is
www.enit.it
you'll find all kinds of accomodations there, but be carefull with the ones in Spanish Steps that are too unexpensive. I've read some horrifying travel experiences about bed bugs and credit card unauthorized debit.
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 03:19 AM

I am amaxed that the Del Senato is quoting a rate of 550/nt. I was just there in high season and paid 275 which is way above the rate 2-3 years ago of 150/nt.

55/nt is ridiculous.

The Cesari is a nice hotel. I booked for my mom and brother at the Santa Chiara and they were very happy with the hotel.