Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Has anyone stayed at Albergo Del Senato-thoughts?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2013, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This hotel appears to be in an excellent location, a 3 star, but charges 4 star prices?

Have any if you stayed there while in Rome, is it worth the cost?

As always, thank you!
Old Mar 2nd, 2013, 11:07 AM

If you type the name of the hotel into the search box, upper right, you will find information via similar queries.
Old Mar 2nd, 2013, 11:28 AM

I have stayed there four times, most recently last summer. It is worth every penny. Great hotel with small but comfortable rooms, excellent front desk staff, and fantastic location on the Piazza Della Rounda that puts you within easy walking distance of most tourist sites, and within arms' reach of The Pantheon.

Lastly, it's within a 20 second walk of one of my favorite Rome restaurants, ARMANDO AL PANTHEON.

If there is anything specific you want to know ( room type) please post again.
Old Mar 2nd, 2013, 11:32 AM

We stayed at the Albergo for three of our nine nights in Rome, the first three at a touristy inexpensive place out on the Aurelia, which I would never recommend, and the last at the excellent affordable Daphne Inn.
That way, we went for the front facing room with balcony at the Albergo, and it was worth every penny to see the weeds growing on top of the Pantheon.
Great, great location.
Old Mar 2nd, 2013, 11:59 AM

Do you know that a 3 star is just a facilities rating and does not reflect what the guest think are the values offered by the hotel? I have stayed there and the location is unbeatable. Additionally, I was at the hotel during the Eyjafjallajökull eruption. The hotel did best to accommodate guests unexpectedly got stuck in the city during the air traffic stoppage.
Old Mar 2nd, 2013, 12:58 PM

I stayed at the Albergo del Senato last week and loved it. I have stayed at a couple of budget hotels in the same general area, so this was a step up. The rooms and service are better than a typical 3 star and the location is one of the best in Rome. I would definitely choose this hotel again - it is worth it.
Old Mar 2nd, 2013, 01:07 PM

I stayed there a few years ago and we got junior suite. To be honest I didn't think it was worth the extra money (size wise) but the hotel is terrific. WHAT a view... we felt we could reach out of our window and touch the Pantheon.

The location can't be beaten, great staff etc. I got the impression that some of the rooms on the 6th floor were a good size, but can't say for sure. Maybe email the hotel and see what they can offer.

You can't go wrong...
Schnauzer
Old Mar 2nd, 2013, 01:57 PM

I agree that the star rating, especially in Italy, doesn't mean much. We stayed for example at a 5-star hotel in Rome many years ago, and the room was about half the size of the smallest room we've ever stayed in at Albergo Del Senato. Plus the location was a hike from everything we wanted to see and do.

At Albergo Del Senato, you're paying for locationlocationlocation
undisputably one of the best in Rome. Not to say that the rooms aren't nice, because even the smallest ones have good beds, decent AC ( which can be tricky in Rome!) and nice amenities.
Old Mar 2nd, 2013, 02:23 PM

What weadles said, locationlocationlocation! Love it. Three stays there.

What a view out of the window, of the Pantheon!

It can be a bit lively in the evenings out on the piazza....

I found the staff very professional, if not particularly warm.

Lobby area and rooms very well turned out; as mentioned, rooms are small. That didn't bug me but might bug you.

If I don't stay there I stay in Trastevere.
Old Mar 2nd, 2013, 06:32 PM
Original Poster

Wow, thanks for all the replies. I feel great about my choice now!