What's Heathrow like these days?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2008, 10:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We leave tomorrow for 10 days in Italy - we're taking our adult son, who's never been. On the return from Rome to DFW, we change from BA to American at Heathrow with just under 3 hours layover. Not knowing if we will be allowed to check our luggage through from Rome to DFW (2 of the 3 of us have purchased separate tickets on BA and AA, long story), help me mentally prepare for arrival, transfer with or without baggage claim, and departure with Heathrow's current state. Many thanks for advice.
Old May 30th, 2008, 10:37 AM
yk

Find out which terminal you'll be arriving into (your BA flight from Rome to Heathrow). Then go to Heathrow's website and look under the connections section. You can print out a detailed route guide (eg, T1 to T3; or T5 to T3) which you can follow along when you are in Heathrow. I used one a few months ago when I had to transfer T1 to T3 and it was helpful.

Your AA flight to DFW will depart from T3.
Old May 30th, 2008, 07:20 PM

We flew into Heathrow last week with no trouble. All very quick, had golf clubs in tow also. I was impressed.
Old May 30th, 2008, 08:25 PM

I was transferring from Heathrow to Paris (from L.A.) a couple of weeks ago, for the first time. It's huge - it's a city unto itself - but it's organized, the British are wonderful, and you'll be fine.
Old May 31st, 2008, 12:56 AM

There are demonstrations planned around Heathrow today (related to fuel prices) and the full scale implementation of T5 has been pushed back to October (which may explain why things are running fairly smoothly there now).
The demonstrations affect getting to and from Heathrow more than the airport itself. DH is flying back tonight from Brussels, but will be using the local train connection instead of a car service, so he shouldn't be affected.
Old May 31st, 2008, 04:38 AM

My mistake, above, I believe today's protests are about the third runway. Anyway, they're complaining about something.
Old May 31st, 2008, 07:02 AM

If you cannot check your luggage through, you will have to go through UK passport control in T5. This will be quicker and more pleasant than the experience at DFW. (In early May, there was even time for a discussion between my wife and the control officer concerning the beard I've grown since the passport photo was taken. They approved.)

But, you will find baggage claim relatively slow as the system has been slowed down to allow for processing problems. It could take as much as a half an hour for your luggage to appear on the carousel.

By the time you get your luggage and transfer to T3, it appeared to be several miles from T5, you still should have at least 2 hours to make it to your plane.

Even if you can check your luggage through, you will still have to go through a security screening at T3, as well as a security questioning when you get your boarding passes at AA.

All this leads to the conclusion that you will have enough time to make the connection, but with a limited time to shop or otherwise relax between planes.
Old May 31st, 2008, 10:41 AM

You only real risk is the fact that these re separate tickets. If your plane fro Rome into Heathrow is late and you miss the ongoing flight neither airline owes you anything. And you'll have to buy new tickets at the best rate you can find - which would probably be outrageous.