Heathrow transfer

Search

Heathrow transfer

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2005, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heathrow transfer

I will be arriving in Heathrow terminal 4 and have a connecting flight in terminal 1. Supposedly my bags will go on to my final destination as I'm flying British Air on both flights. Will I have to go through customs and security lines to transfer between those 2 terminals? Also will the signage make it relatively easy to get between terminals? Thank you in advance for your help.
Old Apr 9th, 2005, 10:04 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
It is a very easy transfer, especially if your bags are checked thru (which is normal for 2 BA flights). Signage is quite clear for what you're to do. You can look at the map of Heathrow in the back of the BA in-flight magazine to get a feel for the layout, if that helps assure you.

Old Apr 11th, 2005, 04:41 AM

BA's website has a specific answer for your situation:

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...4/public/en_gb

You can also transfer between terminals 1 and 4 using the Heathrow Express train--for free.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 12:06 PM

It's no problem and *very hard* to get lost. Just follow the black 'Flight Connections' signs and then your Terminal number signs. And you will dead-end at the shuttle bus stop with the rest of the herd .
No Customs or Passport check but you will have to go thru Security (metal detector & X-ray). Regards, Walter
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 06:44 PM
mesia

I'm glad fromMA posted this question beacuse I have concerns with changing terminals at London Heathrow. I was doing a search on LHR, and found complaints that LHR isn't a "user-friendly" airport.

I haven't book my flight with British Airways yet, but by any chance would anyone know if I should expect it to be difficult or easy to transfer between terminals?

Thanks again for people's helpfulness on this forum.

Old Apr 15th, 2005, 06:56 PM

We transfer at Heathrow every other year or so. We follow the signs but it always takes forever and in 2001 [before 9/11] we actually ran for it but missed our flight back to California after arriving at Heathrow on a flight from Paris that left late]. Good luck!
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 07:04 PM

I hate to make you nervous, but we've been doing this transfer for the past four summers, and haven't found it easy at all. The signage in Heathrow is very poorly done, and each time we've had to take overcrowded buses between the two terminals. As another poster pointed out, you don't go through customs, but there are security lines at the second terminal.

Last year BA lost our bags en route to Nice, France. As a result, I'd really recommend packing whatever you need for the first day/night in a carry on bag.

Sorry to tell such a horror story, but I suppose it's better to know what others have gone through!
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 07:07 PM

By the way, I'm actually surprised to hear that other posters have found this transfer so easy. Last year we were even directed to the wrong gate for our flight, and had to make a run for it.