Waterloo to Heathrow, how and how long?

Mar 26th, 2007, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

Waterloo to Heathrow, how and how long?

First extended trip to England in April. Will be spending four nights in London, then decided to add two nights in Paris at the end. Traveling back from Paris to Waterloo via train on the morning of the 30th, and we fly out of Heathrow at 3pm same day.
What is the best way to get from Waterloo to Heathrow? Can't find a direct train thus far. Was planning to take an early train from Paris so we'd be at Waterloo before noon. Our flight leaves from Heathrow at 3pm. Doable?
Mar 26th, 2007, 01:14 PM

In my opinion, serious unwarranted hassle at the end of a holiday. Tube or taxi from W'loo to Paddington, then the Heathrow Express to LHR. Bag hauling, cost, hassle, hurry... vs. €55 for a flight?
Mar 26th, 2007, 01:17 PM

There aren't any direct trains to Heathrow from Waterloo

EASIEST by public transport is probably train from Waterloo to Feltham then bus from there.

Quickest would be Bakerloo Line to Paddington & HEX to Heathrow but if there's more than one of you you may as well organise a car service

Personally I'd be happier getting into London earlier as it's going to take at least an hour to get between Waterloo & Heathrow and most check-ins close 40 minutes to an hour before scheduled departure time.

Have you considered flying to Heathrow from Paris or returning to London the previous night?

And what's your back up plan if things go wrong and you are stuck in Paris - or somewhere enroute?
Mar 26th, 2007, 01:18 PM

I agree..fly from Paris to Heathrow. Less hassle, you might even be able to check your bags all the way through to the USA. You'll have time to shop at Heathrow Duty Free that way too.
Mar 26th, 2007, 01:18 PM

Completely with Gardyloo.

What's the point? AF, BA or bmi, between them, have lots of flights from Paris to LHR. Far quicker than faffing with tubes to Leicester Sq (for the tube to Heathrow) or trains to Feltham (for the local bus)

But get the direct flights quick, before they're all turned into flights to Roanoke or Sioux Falls when Open Skies kicks in.
Mar 26th, 2007, 01:25 PM

Arriving at Waterloo at noon-ish is way too late for a 3 p.m. flight. Many transatlantic carriers are recommending being AT Heathrow 3 hours prior to the flight. 3 Hours is usually not necessary - but 2 often is. I would want to be at Waterloo by 10:00 a.m. at the very latest. But I agree w/ the others - much less agro to just fly directly from CDG to LHR.
Mar 26th, 2007, 01:29 PM

I just did this yesterday.

Came in from Moutiers France. Arrived at Waterloo at about 8:30 A.M. due to 2 hour delay in Lille (Yawn).

Just had time to use restroom, pick up left luggage from Waterloo and catch Underground from Waterloo to Heathrow.

Took the Jubilee Line to Green Park, transferred to Picadilly to Heathrow 1,2,3. Arrived at Heathrow about 11:10. Had a bite to eat, got in security line and made our 1:25 boarding time with about 15 minutes to spare. Flight then delayed an hour (yawn).

So if you want to be relaxed, I would say the minimum time would be what I had. Arrive Waterloo much earlier than noon i.e. 8:30-9AM and make your way to airport via underground.

I would say underground trip is at least 45 minutes and the Heathrow airport is huge with 20 minute walks to the actual gates.

Cost for underground trip was 5.15 pounds.
Mar 26th, 2007, 01:30 PM

Flanneruk, what is "Open Skies"? Thanks.
Mar 26th, 2007, 01:30 PM

Forgot to add that the Underground does not have many lifts. Try to only bring luggage that is easy to get up and down stairs........ or spring for a taxi!
Mar 26th, 2007, 01:47 PM

"Open Skies" is the term for policy/treaty changes that will allow airlines relatively unrestricted routing rights, for instance if Continental Airlines wants to fly into Heathrow Airport (currently they can't) then all they need to do is shell out £10 million or so for a slot, and they can do it. At present, only American, United, British and Virgin can serve the US from LHR; all others have to use LGW (or STN or Luton or...)

Since "slots" (takeoff/landing times) are limited at very busy airports, people are fearing that low-profit routes (e.g. LHR-CDG) may be discontinued and that slot used for higher-revenue routes, say LHR-LAX. Over time, "small" routes may move out of hub airports as competition for room heats up.
Mar 26th, 2007, 02:34 PM

BA own 41% of the slots at Heathrow. Many of them are low profit routes which they keep running as they don't want to give up the slots.

Once Open Skies gets going then they'll shift those slots to Transatlantic routes to the US into places they currently can't reach. But that means cutting flights elsewhere

It'll probably mean that LHR will become less of a hub for Europe & the ME but more profitable overall for BA.