Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What else is Switzerland known for besides chocolate, cheese and watches?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 11:55 AM
carla

I am trying to make a birthday basket for my friend who is going to switzerland for the first time. I am thinking of putting swiss cheese, swiss chocolate and a fodors book on switzerland on the basket.<BR>what else would you suggest?

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 11:56 AM
x

a bank

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 12:01 PM
Cute Idea

Yodels. Or a Heidi movie.

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 12:25 PM
x

Leiderhosen. <BR><BR><BR>Or is that Austria?

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 12:28 PM
abc

1)Swiss Army knives, of course. They now make a whole buch of Swiss army junk, including luggage, though I don't think the military guys actually run around with high-style rollaboards.<BR><BR>2)Rosti (potato) mix, if you live near a shop that has imported foods.<BR><BR>3)Gold bars. Suitable for any occasion.

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 01:35 PM
StCirq

Cow bells.<BR><BR>Ricola throat lozenges.

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 01:38 PM
nancy

How about adding a map of Switzerland. I am a "map freak" and love to plot my journey thru a country on the map. You can include a color marker.

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 01:55 PM
orgy7

ski resorts

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 01:56 PM
how

Mentos <BR><BR>Those freaks in those commercials look vaguely Swiss to me.

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 02:04 PM
Singapre

cow bells, fondue (try the chocolate fondue),knives, kookoo clocks.

Old Oct 6th, 2002, 04:38 AM
Jan

How about some Kirsche? Keeps those toes warm!

Old Oct 6th, 2002, 06:32 AM
Andrea

If it were me, I think I'd pack it not with things that she will be able to see/buy there, but with things that might get her excited about her trip or help her plan:<BR><BR>* Guide book or two, including a specialized one she might not otherwise buy (I have a guidebook to Swiss wineries)<BR>* Map/city guide for the city/cities she'll be visiting - the brand that combines a pocket guide & big map or the pop-up pocket map<BR>* Novels or other books that take place in Switzerland (if she likes business intrigue sorts of books, "A Numbered Account" is one of my favs in that genre, although it doesn't really set the scene extremely well - there are whole threads on this topic - Hotel du Lac, etc.)<BR>* A mini phrase book in French, German, or Italian (depending on where she's going - or all 3)<BR>* Some Swiss Francs<BR>* You could print out some helpful Fodorites' postings<BR>* General travel items, like an inflatable neck pillow, eye patch, and earplugs for the flight, electrical plug adapters, etc.<BR>* Thermal underwear if she's going to be in a cold place<BR>* Film for her camera, and/or coupons for developing it upon her return<BR><BR>Have fun - I love baskets & I'm sure she'll love whatever you do!

Old Oct 6th, 2002, 06:37 AM
Andrea

Eek - re-reading my post, I realize I should have mentioned "Your idea of the guidebook and other posters' mentions of maps got me thinking . . . "

Old Oct 6th, 2002, 06:44 AM
Grasshopper

Carla, What a sweet, thoughtful idea! I second Andrea's great ideas. Anything to get her excited and more knowledgeable about where she's headed. How about a travel journal?

Old Oct 6th, 2002, 08:48 AM
Carolyn

LOL. Somebody advised you to pack "Leiderhosen", which means "unfortunate trousers". Cute!<BR>Take "Lederhosen" (leather trousers) instead.

Old Oct 6th, 2002, 09:30 AM
carla

Andrea, thanks those are great ideas!