Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What do you know about Olga's House in Florence?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5th, 2004, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found this place on Venere.... it was consistently rated a 5. Has anyone here stayed here or heard of it in any way? All help is appreciated, thanks.
Old Sep 6th, 2004, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Sep 6th, 2004, 08:28 AM

I'll be staying there this november, so I would appreciate any comments too. Or if you can wait, I'll let you know when I get back
I do know that it is on the 4th floor and has no elevator though ...
Old Sep 6th, 2004, 11:14 AM
Original Poster

ssachida, we will be there in September and will let you know how it turns out. The reviews were all so positive.... . As for the stairs, they might help make up for the gelato I plan to eat,
Old Sep 7th, 2004, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

ttt, if I'm going to cancel I have to do it by Thursday! Thanks for any help..
Old Sep 8th, 2004, 06:23 PM
Original Poster

ttt, last try
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 04:47 AM

Try http://www.venere.com and go to the reviews of this hotel.I, however, have my suspicions about the great number of reviews.
Bottom line, it's obviously cheap and has a good location. Don't expect much more and you won't be upset.
Old Nov 20th, 2004, 05:29 AM

Just got back from my trip to Italy.

PROS: It is a very nice place. Roberto is friendly and helpful. The triple we rented was spacious, clean and comfortable but no frills. A simple, airy room. No noise if the windows are closed. Inexpensive. Location is perfect.

CONS: 80 steep steps up to the B&B. The other disadvantage was that you can't buzz someone in from your room. That means that one person in your party can't just go out without the key. And we were given only one set of keys.
Old Oct 10th, 2006, 05:59 PM

I thought I would provide an update to this B&B. http://www.olgashouse.com/ I stayed there in 2002 and again this past August, 2006.

Here are some of my impressions.

The location is fantastic. You are on a side street just 30 meters or so from the Plaza Signoria (where the David replica is), just 3 minutes from the Uffizi and within walking distance of all the cool things in Florence.

Across the street at ground level is a fruit store - very convenient. Also, just up the side street is a connection to an outdoor touristy market.

Roberto, the manager, is very friendly, very fluent in English, and really tries to make everything work out well for you. He is great.

This is a 4th floor (or 3rd floor, I forget) walk-up B&B - no elevator. Bathrooms are en suite.

In 2002 I stayed in the triple for 3 days with my daughters on a graduation present trip. The room was very spacious and relatively quiet. No air conditioning at that time, though, only a fan.

In 2006 I stayed in a double for 4 days with my wife for our silver anniversary dream trip. Again, a nice, basic room. A/C this time, but it depends on the room. At least one room has a typical window type a/c. Another room uses a portable a/c that looks like a big vacuum cleaner and has an exhaust hose that extends out the window. I was actually in both rooms at different times during that stay. The portable a/c was ok, but not great. Even though it was August, it was relatively cool when we were there and we didn't use the a/c much. The thing to remember about the portable a/c is because the window must be open there will be some street noise that is masked somewhat by the a/c. Still, you are on the 4th floor so that will be lessened somewhat. The windows provide good soundproofing when closed. In any event, it was much hotter in 2002 when I was there and we were fine with just the fans. Given the price and location I'd settle for the fans or hope I get the room(s) with the window a/c. You can probably request a particular room when you book.

You get a daily coupon for the main cafe on the square for a breakfast capuccino (or similar) and pastry, but I found the smaller bar in the square opened earlier and honored the coupon. Less wait also.

The price is very good for Florence and for the location. The Plaza Signoria is a great place to wander around in the evening among great statues and outdoor entertainment.

I suppose everything depends on your budget, but for me, balancing price, location, Roberto, etc. I didn't even look for a different place on my second trip to Florence. I will book here
again.

One other thing: I saved money by staying here and used the savings to book four Context Florence tours for my wife and me. http://florence.contexttravel.com/index.php?sess=ctThey were incredible experiences even though I had been to Florence before. Although Context Florence limits the tour size to 6, on three of the tours it was just the two of us. The tours really enriched the experience and I highly recommend them. The tours we went on were the Michaelangelo, Duomo, Uffizi and Medici tours. Necessary museum reservations (Academia, Uffizi) were arranged. Even if you don't book the tours, be sure to get the audio guides at the museums. They are much better than bobbing your head up and down between your guidebook and the art.

Branton
Old Oct 10th, 2006, 06:54 PM

Hi Walkers, just curious but how did you find your stay at Olga's House? It's a great location, and I think I've passed by it tons of times w/o knowing it...