what clothes to take

Search

what clothes to take

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6th, 2006, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what clothes to take

I just posted regarding money, but also had questions about what clothes to take. My son and I will be in France for 9 days, and I have bought 2 convertible backpack/carryons for us to take. We want to avoid checking baggage at all costs. So we obviously need to pack fairly light. My question is: do we need to take any slacks or dress shirts and shoes? My instincts say yes, maybe to go into churches and some of the nice restaurants. also, any tips on packing light would be appreciated.
Old Jul 6th, 2006, 09:08 AM

You don't need a dress shirt or special slacks to go into a church or 90% of the restaurants in France. You don't want to look like a bum, but you don't have to dress up special for most places either.

What time of the year are you going? Why do you want to avoid checking baggage "at all costs"?
Old Jul 6th, 2006, 09:58 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I would take one nice outfit each, slacks and shirt, but not special shoes. If you have dark colored walking shoes those should be OK.
Old Jul 6th, 2006, 01:09 PM
Original Poster

Hi Rufus

I just don't want to hassle with checking my bags. What I purchased were called "Weekender Convertibles" from e-bags.com. They are the maximum carryon size when expanded, but are a backpack as well when the straps are pulled out and hooked up. there are also many pockets and hidey holes.

What I am planning to take (besides what I wear on the plane) are 4 short/tshirt outfits, 1 pair of slacks and a short sleeve button down collared shirt, 4 underwear, 4 socks, and one pair of dark casual shoes, a camera, a French phrase book, a notebook to journal in, and a few basic toiletries (probably can get most things in France, I don't know). I just can't see that filling up my carryon if I pack carefully, but I may wrong. Again, any suggestions good or bad to my plan are welcome.
Old Jul 6th, 2006, 01:10 PM

Here is Rick Steves' packing list.

http://ricksteves.com/plan/tips/packlist.htm
Old Jul 6th, 2006, 02:54 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I think your plan sounds fine. Run it past Steves' pack list. He has it down to a science.