Turkey and???

Jul 5th, 2006, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

Turkey and???

Hi everyone,
I feel a little silly posting this because I am basically planning a trip for which I have no set date. But because I am a travel addict I must plan nonetheless. My husband and I are hoping to take a 3 week trip in May or June 2007 and are starting to think about where we'd like to go. Turkey is #1 on the list, mostly because everyone we know who goes there really raves about it. It sounds like a country with a great mix of history, ruins, beaches and a touch of the exotic, so it seems like it would suit us quite well.

So we'd like to spend 10-12 days in Turkey and then another 8-10 days in another country. Originally we did the logical thing and picked Greece, but then I started to have doubts. Logistically Greece makes sense but I'm now not sure it matches our interests. We want something that is going to be a nice contrast to Turkey, not more of the same. We also get bored just sitting on a beach all day (and we will have had some beach time in Turkey), so places like Santorini, which originally had me interested, are now falling off the list. Naxos and Crete still have be interested but not as much as I hoped initially.

Basically I need some feedback on where to go. My list of possibilities is:

1. Stick with Greece
2. Slovenia or Croatia
3. France (Which almost rivals Turkey in my desire to see it)
4. Somewhere I haven't thought of yet but maybe someone here has a suggestion?

To give you an idea of our interests, we like places that can strike a decent balance between history/cultural stuff and pretty natural scenery/outdoor activities. Italy and Costa Rica have been our favourite places so far, if that helps.

Any suggestions for what might be a good fit?
Jul 5th, 2006, 12:36 PM

We spent 2 weeks on mainland Greece in May and had a marvelous time. The ruins are awe-inspiring and there is just so much history from so many eras. The people are delightful, the food is delicious and the small towns are charming and quaint.
Jul 5th, 2006, 01:19 PM

Consider combining Greece and Turkey with a trip on www.seascape-sail.com. We did a week in Turkey with them in May 2003. The rest of the passengers were on their second week of a Greece-Turkey trip with them. Our group said Turkey was NOT like Greece (in good ways and bad ways both directions). With the variety of things you do, such as sailing, swimming, ancient ruins, local villages, boat building ports, etc. it would be easy to spend two weeks without being bored. You could do some of mainland Greece and Turkey before and after. If that appeals to you, search my screen name and "turkey" and you will find more details. It was a great experience.
Jul 6th, 2006, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

ttt

anyone else?
Jul 6th, 2006, 08:27 AM

What about Bulgaria? Heard some good reports about it. Cheap too.
Jul 6th, 2006, 09:48 AM

I think that 8 - 10 days is too much for Slovenia alone, but it is a lovely country and well worth visiting. I would recommend a few days on the Croatian coast, a visit to Zagreb and then move on to Ljubljana. The city itself is charming and there are good hotels. It is then possible to take day trips to Bled toward the Alps and to the world heritage site cave
Jul 6th, 2006, 09:51 AM

I think that 8 - 10 days is too much for Slovenia alone, but it is a lovely country and well worth visiting. I would recommend a few days on the Croatian coast, a visit to Zagreb and then move on to Ljubljana. The city itself is charming and there are good hotels. It is then possible to take day trips to Bled toward the Alps and to the world heritage site cave Skocjan. There is a bit of coast, but Croatia's in cleaner and prettier. This area of central europe is very different from Turkey. Driving around is easy and the people in both countries are very welcoming.
Jul 6th, 2006, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

Does anyone if there are direct flights between Turkey and somewhere in either Croatia or Slovenia? I suppose the cost of traveling between the two would have to be a factor...
Jul 6th, 2006, 11:35 AM

Turkey is indeed fantastic! In fact it is so varied you could stay satisfied focusing just on Turkey. If you are determined to go elsewhere these are some of my suggestions:
1 reconsider Santorini - I am not a beach junkie but adored the place;
2 the Pelion area of Greece is getting some rave reviews at the moment in some of the travel mags in the UK;
3 Rhodes is accessible by ferry from southern Turkey. A week there would be an excellent choice;
4 Crete is also an excellent choice - and I preferred here to Rhodes, but it is not as accessible.
Your clues of Italy and Costa Rica are intiguing - but guess this is because you like the art of Italy and the nature of Costa Rica? There are some good ancient sites in Turkey (and Crete and Rhodes) and museums and there are some good 'birding' areas in the country. Hope this helps. Good luck.
Jul 6th, 2006, 11:57 AM

Or consider Egypt (Cairo), Israel (Tel Aviv) or Bulgaria (Sophia). There are direct flights between Istanbul and each of those cities. Haven't been to Egypt. Just got back from Israel (loved it -- and had no worries there -- see my "highlights" posting) A close friend lived in Bulgaria a couple of years with her job and raves about it. (You can check out flights on www.thy.com for Turkish Airlines we flew them within Turkey and they had great planes and great service, American Airlines could learn a few pointers from them.)
Jul 6th, 2006, 12:16 PM

We spent a month in Turkey and it didn't feel long enough. Maybe spend 14 days in Istanbul and exploring the coast, and then head inland? Cappadoccia was incredible, and completely different from the coast. We stayed at the more French-y Turkish village Uchisar (next door is the more English-y village Goreme) and roomed in renovated cave dwellings: www.cappadoce.com/e/intro.html. There are lots of French tourists here, and French is the 2nd language (so we didn't speak Turkish or French-it was fine). We LOVED this village.

We hopped over to Greece for a day or two, but found the quiet beach scene too boring after Turkey.
Jul 6th, 2006, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies so far. It's interesting that Bulgaria has been mentioned twice - that definitely has my interest peaked. Also, I had heard good things about Israel before so will look into that a bit too.

stevelyon -
you mentioned the intriguing nature of my clues about Italy and Costa Rica being my favourite places so far. While Italy's art and Costa Rica's nature were certainly impressive, the appeal of both of these countries was in their ability to maintain what I felt was a high level of authenticity given their hype as a tourist destination. We also enjoyed the friendly people and laid back attitude in both countries, even though these countries are very different from each other in a lot of ways. We just felt at ease in each country and are looking for that again...
Jul 6th, 2006, 02:40 PM

I must always be planning trips too.
Right now I am on the way to Finland, St P and the Baltics in August for a month. But I am also working on trips to Southern Africa (Jan, I hope) and Turkey (next fall, I think). For the Turkey trip, I am considering also flying to Jordan for a few days--Istanbul to Amman is approx $425 US--RT-on Turkish Air (which I have flown, and like--and you get AA FF miles . Just somewhere else for you to think about!
I love the planning!!!!Jane
Jul 6th, 2006, 03:32 PM

Israel would be an excellent choice. It's got it all - ancient (about as old as it gets), modern, resorts, desert; everybody speaks English, modern roads, good hotels, museums. Plus it's small enough that 8-10 days insures you won't miss much if anything.
Jul 6th, 2006, 03:54 PM

Amanda...Antalya is loaded with Israeli tourists and flights are daily...about 2 hours to Tel Aviv...I second GardyLoo's suggestion...Israel for ten days would finish off a great trip for you, combining these two places.
Stu T.

Search this Thread