ephesus and surroundings

Search

ephesus and surroundings

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2005, 10:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ephesus and surroundings

we only have 2 nights to see this area, flying into Izmir airport. Any suggestion as to where we should stay so we don't have to travel too far to see the ruins? Thanks in advance.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 04:42 AM

Hi

What about in the town of Nafplion. This is a really, quaint gorgeous place. See this link for a write up -http://www.greecetravel.com/nafplio/

You'll love Ephesus, it truly is remarkable. Can you sing or recite something (poetry etc.)? Quite a few tourists gave impromptu performances.

Have fun.

Old May 2nd, 2005, 04:55 AM

Nafplion is in Greece, right? Ephesus is in Turkey.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 05:05 AM

Worldinabag, I think you're confusing Ephesus with the ancient Greek theatre of Epidaurus which is near Nafplion. That's where people stand up and recite.
Ephesus is an entire city of ruins -- sometimes thought to be the best ruins in all of Turkey and Greece.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 05:22 AM
Original Poster

thank you all, but no one 's come back with an answer I am looking for.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 05:29 AM

Hi

Oops, apologies to Kimmos and all. My brain had a spaz attack. You're all quite right of course!

See ya
Old May 2nd, 2005, 05:49 AM

Kimmos, I was thinking someone might have other options. We stayed at Kismet at Kusadasi which was wonderful (even when we had to stay an extra night when our boat to Samos was cancelled). Will you have a car or are you relying on public transportation? I know there are some places even closer, but as I recall it's about a 20 minute drive or so from Kusadasi to Ephesus.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 05:59 AM

Kusadasi, Selcuk and Sirince seem to be the main places in the area to stay. Kusadasi is seaside, and notoriously labeled as "very touristy," but I am choosing to stay here for the seaside location.

Sirince & Selcuk are inland and both look charming.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 02:46 PM

Kimmos,
It depends on what ruins you are wanting to see. Pergamum is north of Izmir. Ephesus, Didyma, Miletus are south. Afrodisias, Hierapolis/Pamukkale are east.

A lot of people seem to stay in Kusadasi/Selcuk and do day trips to the various places they want to see.

If you arrive early enough in the day into Izmir, you might be able to visit Pergamum, then drive down to Kusadasi/Selcuk to stay. Izmir is a big city; doesn't sound awfully interesting for a tourist to stay in, but I've never been there.

Have you looked at TurkeyTravelPlanner? The website has a lot of information that might help as well; if you don't find what you need there is a forum you can post questions on and somebody always seems to know the answer.

I hope you have a nice visit to Turkey.