Greece/Turkey questions

Search

Greece/Turkey questions

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2009, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greece/Turkey questions

My wife and I will be spending the first 2 weeks in august in Greece. We have begun planning, and as this is our first time, we are kind of clueless as where to start.

We are thinking about spending a week or so in Greece and its islands, and 4-7 days in Turkey (Istanbul, and I would like to see Troy).

Any suggestions.. I could really use some help here... and what do people suggest for Athens-Istanbul? Plane, train or boat? Thanks in advance, everyone!

p.s. I wil have spent the previous month in Greece, so I will have seen most of the archaeological stuff already, just looking to relax and have a good time (in Greece anyway).
Old May 4th, 2009, 01:30 PM

Of course a flight to Istanbul would be fast and efficient, but if you have any desire at all to see Ephesus I suggest a ferry from Athens/Piraeus to Samos, then the local ferry across to Kusadasi and the bus to Ephesus. After Ephesus take a bus to Canakkale via Izmir to see Troy (Truva), and from there another bus the rest of the way to Istanbul.
Old May 4th, 2009, 01:50 PM

You can also save some time by flying to Samos from Athens.
Old May 4th, 2009, 08:29 PM

If you will have spent a month in Greece already by that time, have you considered spending the two remaining weeks in Turkey alone? Your time allotment vs. your desired itenerary is a bit ambitious, so my recommendation is to spend it all in a single region. Don't forget, you're going in high season.

If you're intent on some Greek islands, too, then the Dodecanese group would be a good choice. There are also lots of beautiful beaches/resorts in Turkey, so you can do your 'relax' time there, too.

As brotherleelove2004 suggests, Ephesus is spectacular. The Lycian coast around Kekova is beautiful and historical. Istanbul, the seat of two great empires, could keep you two weeks alone.

Regards, Bruce
Turkey Travel Images -- http://www.brucegcollier.com/galleri...evel2_clr1.htm
Greece Travel Images -- http://www.brucegcollier.com/galleri...level2_clr.htm
Old May 6th, 2009, 05:36 PM
Original Poster

well, my wife is meeting me there, and as I would love to spend 2 weeks in Turkey, it might be better for her to see Greece and then Turkey.
Old May 6th, 2009, 06:20 PM

Troy is interesting; Ephesus is magnificent. I have not visited Greece, but have been told (in jest) that I'd be bored in Greece after having visited the ruins in Turkey.
Old May 11th, 2009, 12:04 PM

hello... first of all, ruins in turkey are either greek (ancient greek or byzantine) or roman. in my opinion Ephesus is magnificent, but the Acropolis is better...

both countries have nice beaches and places to stay, plus friendly people. (i think greeks speak better english though)

since you want to visit both countries maybe the Dodecanese islands would be a good choice (they are closer)..

If you want to try an alternative, I would highly recommend the Ionian islands such as Lefkas or Corfu, Cephalonia, etc...

Last year I went to Lefkas with my husband and spend a wonderful time! the beaches are magical!
Let me also recommend the place we stayed. It was called Diodati Villas Lefkada http://www.diodati.gr/ and has amazing sea views and friendly environment!
Old May 11th, 2009, 01:22 PM

All the replies are good, and I "amen" them. The Island of Santorini is wonderful...a small hotel there, San Giorgio, is excellent, inexpensive and centrally located. Istanbul is not to be missed and has many things close by. Do not miss the covered market.
Old May 12th, 2009, 11:12 PM

Greece is nice to see and taste. As a Turkish I recommend you to visit Chios Island and the capital Athens with it's museums and the ancient remnants. For Turkey part; Ephesus and Pergamon must not be missed and if you dont think that it would exhausting I recommend you especially to pay a visit to Didyma, Priene and Pamukkale with the Cleopatra Pool of thermal waters.. If you need any further assistance please contact me via my e mail [email protected] ..

I hope you will enjoy your trip for both Greece and Turkey..
Regards
Mehmet