Reload this Page >

What area to stay in while in Venice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 06:22 AM
Lori

My husband and I will be in Venice for the first time in April. I am having a difficult time deciding which area to stay in. Could you tell me what area you prefer and why? Thank you!

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 06:52 AM
Ira

Hi Lori,<BR><BR> Many people like the San Marco area. My wife and I stayed in the San Paolo area near the Rialto our last time. This time we will be staying near the Accademia.<BR><BR> Venice is not very large. I would suggest choice of hotel is more important than section of town.

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 07:42 AM
Selena

We stayed in an apartment in Cannaregio and loved it. It was very close to a vaporetto stop and there were tons of excellent stores in the area.<BR> The Rialto Bridge was withing walking distance and we had a wonderful time. I LOVE VENICE !!!

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 08:14 AM
xxx

<BR><BR>I agree with Ira, Lori. Venice is a very compact city so any area where you stay will not be very far from everything you'd want to see. My only suggestion would be to definitely stay IN Venice itself, not on the mainland, or the Lido, or some other nearby island.

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 08:27 AM
Robert

Suggestion stay away from area near the train station,and the lido. Would be cheaper but not worth it.

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 08:30 AM
Anne

We stayed at the Hotel Galleria in Dosoduru last month...loved it! Right at the foot of the Accademia Bridge. Very convenient, but as others have pointed out, as long as you are in Venice (not Mestre or Lido), you will be close to things. I have a file on Venice if you are interested.<BR><BR>Anne

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 08:33 AM
zootsi

We stayed near the Academia Museum in Dosodoro (sp?). This is the last stop on the vaporetto, so you get the grand tour of the city on the way in. It's a lot quieter than the San Marco area, but still just a 15 minute walk there. There were several less touristy trattorias in the area we were, and lots of interesting piazzas and winding streets.

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 08:43 AM
Ryan

We stayed at the Metropole Hotel, which is just a short walk to the Piazza San Marco. The rooms in the front of the hotel have a really nice view of the Grand Canal.