Search

Venice, Mestre

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27th, 2004, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Venice, Mestre

Visiting Venice in late August. thinking of staying in the Centrale Hotel in Mestre, got a good deal and also for it's links with the Airport. Also got the chance of a good deal in Mogliano, which is a bit further away.
Anyone been to these places? Are they OK and a good base to visit Venice from? Also like to hear from anyone who has stayed in the Centrale or Duca D'Aosta in Mogliano.
Appreciate all assistance.
Andy
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 10:45 AM

Please don't stay in Mestre or Mogliano! Venice is at its best after the daytrippers have left, and if you have to leave, too, to get back to your hotel, you will miss the quiet and magical evenings in Venice.

If you are satisfied with something that is very clean but quite modest, try

http://alcampaniel.tripod.com/

The location is terrific (in San Polo close to the border of Dorsoduro); there is a traghetto that you can take for 0.40 Euros to the other, San Marco side of the Grand Canal and avoid the mobs at the Rialto; the area is full of restaurants in all price ranges.
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 10:49 AM

agree with everything in the first paragraph of the post above.
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 11:58 AM

Mestre is on the mainland and has a completely different feeling from Venice proper. I don't know where Mogliano is but staying anywhere other than IN Venice proper seems a waste to me. The "good deal" is no deal if you want to see and experience Venice. There are plenty of affordable b & bs in Venice proper. Venere.com is a good place to "shop".
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 12:07 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I can't imagine going to Venice and not staying at the heart of things. There are plenty of charming and reasonably priced hotels there.

If you really need to stay near the airport the last night, maybe...

The only "base" I would use to visit Venice is VENICE!
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 12:16 PM

Ditto all of the above.
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 08:21 PM

There is a saying about Venice and Mestre... "the most beautiful city in the world married to the most ugly."

While Mestre is not quite THAT bad, stay in Venice proper. Believe me, you don't want to be bothered with trying to get back to the mainland at midnight when you've spent the last few hours entranced by the city of Venice. It would sort of ruin the experience. Stay in Venice!
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 09:00 PM
Melissajoy

Definitely don't stay in Mestre! Part of the experience of Venice is just REALLY BEING in Venice, surrounded by the atmosphere of a city of canals, no cars...San Marco square is at its best at night...

We accidentally got off the train at Mestre, to our dismay, and boy, was that a mistake...I knew we were in the wrong place as soon as I looked around and said, where am I? Where are the canals? Where's the water?! Luckily, we were able to run down the tracks and get on another car of the train where the conductor was waiting with an open door, as another family had made the same mistake and they were pounding on the doors to get back on the train!

Then we got off at the right stop, the REAL Venice...wow! It's not that hard to get to the airport, by the way. Our hotel has a stop where a private water taxi can pull right up to the hotel, even though it's not on the Grand canal...so we got a private water taxi to the airport for the family, a 30 minute ride, and it was really fun! I think it was 70 euros, either that or 90, sorry I can't remember which...You can also get the public vaporetto if you want though it's a longer ride, but it's cheap.

Old Jul 28th, 2004, 02:40 AM

We stayed in Mestre last year and really regretted it. My advice would be, stay in real Venice or don't go. It's just not the same.
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 03:27 AM
ira

I agree
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 03:31 AM

I agree with everyone. DO stay right in Venice. You'll be so glad you did.
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 04:26 AM
P_M

Please keep looking for something in Venice. I stayed in Mestre, next time I will stay in Venice.
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 06:17 AM

I've stayed in both, and believe me, the next time I go I will stay in Venice again. Mestre is BORING and basically ugly. And no amount of money you save by staying there is going to make it any better. Stay in Venice.