What area in these cities?

Nov 1st, 2007, 02:45 PM
Original Poster

What area in these cities?

OK, I am making a vacation plan on the fly and just decided to do the week of Thanksgiving and the week after to Spain. I am a well-traveled person who usually plans well in advance but this decision was just made due to a "overworked mad man at work who needs to leave on a plane" and his name is The Subway Scoundrel

I will continue to look and read as I always do but I will be going to Barcelona and Madrid and need to know what area to stay.

For reference, I always stay in the 6th arrondissement--St. Germain when I am in Paris. I am looking for a place I can find a small or cheaper hotel(s) that has plenty of nightlife, markets and restaurants within walking distance and of course, near a Metro/mass transit stop. I do like a more lively area. I know this could be all over these cities but I appreciate your comments.

Please refrain from telling me to go read a book or website as I will do that, but as someone who has been on this site for 7 to 8 years, I need to move fast and you have never failed me. In short, I need to make sure I reserve a hotel quickly.

I will continue to read the site but your help is appreciated

Again, a big thanks.
Nov 1st, 2007, 02:53 PM

I'd suggest that in the title of your thread...you mention the cities. It imporves your chances of getting answers from those who scan titles. There is no Spain forum,only Europe.
Nov 1st, 2007, 02:53 PM

In Madrid -- I recommend Hotel Europa (on c/Carmen). It's located in the Plaza Puerta del Sol and is in walking distance to many of the sights and great restaurants. Cosy, clean, safe, friendly...
Nov 1st, 2007, 02:59 PM

I would recommend seeing if you can get a great deal on SolMelia.com . That's what I did for my 2005 visit to Madrid. We stayed at Tryp Cibeles, a nice 4* hotel. I thought the location was fine and convenient, although it may not be exactly what you want (I think the good nightlife was a couple blocks away, and the metro was right there, and it's extremely central). Sol Melia also has good Barcelona hotels. The advantage of this site is that you can quickly book online, which isn't always possible with smaller hotels.

I know that the Spain residents on this board also recommend GTAHotels.com for great deals.
Nov 1st, 2007, 03:06 PM

Another thought -- I just noticed that you included a Paris neighborhood as a reference and I'm not familiar enough with Paris to know how this compares, but in Barcelona you might consider the neighborhoods of el Born, Barrio Gotico, or the area around Plaza Universitat.

Also, as of yesterday, the RENFE train from the Barcelona airport to the city centre was part of the line that is under construction. The better way to get to the centre right now is the Airport Bus (3.90 euros) or a taxi (20-30 euros).
Nov 1st, 2007, 04:28 PM

In Madrid I'd stay at the Hotel Plaza Mayor. Great location and affordable...if it's not already booked.

For Barcelona, I love the El Borne area. I just stayed at the Hotel Banys Orientals and had a wonderful time.
Nov 1st, 2007, 04:43 PM

I agree that the area of Barcelona you will probably want is the Barri Gottic or El Born. It's near the Jaume I metro station, and it's an area that is great to walk around in and has a lively nightlife.
Nov 1st, 2007, 06:26 PM

There is a Spain forum on Fodor's.

Take a look at the Room Mate group of hotels in Madrid. Stupid name nice places.

In Barcelona try not to get a hotel directly on the Ramblas, it can be noisy and if possible closer to Placa Catalunya
Nov 1st, 2007, 06:36 PM

In Barcelona, I stayed right off of the Passeig de Gracia, just a few steps from La Pedrera. The Passeig de Gracia is a beautiful, tree-lined shopping street.

In Madrid, I would stay in the Serrano neigborhood. Do NOT stay on the HORRID Gran Via. Blech.

The Great and Powerful Thingorjus

Nov 2nd, 2007, 06:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Plans just changed and looks like I am going to Paris. I will use the advice and go to Spain next year.

Thanks again !!
Nov 3rd, 2007, 03:39 AM

There is no Spain forum.
There is a Spain 'filter'. The forum names are in the drop-down on the left, above the thread titles. The filters are in the search function.