Westin Vendome or W-Opera?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2015, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thinking of extending a Germany river cruise with a little time in Paris. 4 nights in early Dec. Would prefer to use Starwood points, so the Westin Vendome and the W- Opera are the best bets at the time. Would like to see suggestions on which has a better location in regards to close by restaurants, metro stops and relationship to shopping, and safe neighborhood, Christmas Markets, etc. We have done the major sightseeing before so we are looking for a convenient location to just explore around. Will probably throw in a museum or two, but we can easily reach those via Metro. I will thank you in advance for your help and suggestions.
Old Aug 20th, 2015, 12:29 PM

There might be hotels by that name in various cities, your title is hard to tell as you didn't pick a country.

As for location, they both have close by restaurants and metro stops and shopping, actually, and safe neighborhoods. However, I personally would choose the Vendome because the W Opera is about a block from some major dept stores, and several tour/airport buses stop right nearby the Opera, which is just around the corner. It is right near Chausee-d/Antin metro (which also has a lot of riff-raff around it trying to get money from people because there are so many tourists around there). It is really congested and kind of a zoo IMO.

The other place is a more luxe area as place Vendome has very expensive shops, but that hotel isn't really on it (of course, the names of hotels usually mislead), it is just off rue de Rivoli near the Louvre and the Tuileries gardens. It's right near hotel Meurice, actually, and those folks expect a nice area. You won't find a luxury hotel right near the opera. There are some decent restaurants on nearby rue du Mont Thabor, I believe.

Although one of my favorite historic cafes is near the opera, le Grand Cafe. http://www.legrandcafe.com/?utm_sour...tm_campaign=GC

souffle restaurant on mont Thabor
http://www.lesouffle.fr/

These areas are pretty major business areas, I suspect you think they are more neighborhoody
Old Aug 20th, 2015, 01:23 PM

I also like Vendom location more.