West coast Ireland: What not to miss?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2006, 08:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband & I are going to Ireland for the first time in late June/early July to attend a friend's wedding at Ashford Castle (Cong, Co. Mayo). After a week in Paris, we fly to Dublin for 2 days. Then on to Knock airport; overnight in Knock; then to Ashford Castle for 3 nights. Thereafter, we are renting a car to see the sights for 5 days/nights till we depart from Shannon airport. Question: What cities/towns/villages are must-sees? We are thinking of driving northward, then working our way south, down the west coast. Possible sites: Donegal, Sligo, Westport, Clifden, Galway, Dingle. I know this is a lot of driving, so am wondering what to see and what to skip. WOuld appreciate feedback from those who've been! Many thanks!
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 12:41 AM

Sounds like a good trip. A few obs. I would not stay in Knock itself unless you are particularly religious. It would be possible to go on to Westport and this would still leave you in a good position to get to Cong. Afterwards, I would limit your trip on the north to sligo and the south to Shannon. Donegal and Kerry are very beautiful but if you try to fit them all it you will be driving for ages and not have the time to see anything or get out and about. A possible 5 day route could take in Sligo, Ballina, Ballycastle, Achill, Westport, Croagh Patrick, the Famine Trail to Leenane, Clifden and the white beaches around Ballyconneely, southern Connemara and then 2 days to get from Galway to Shannon - perhaps Doolin as one night. Ideas for the West coast have been heavily posted on this forum. Good luck!
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 02:20 AM

Like Pontoon, I don't think Knock Shrine is worth an overnight stop unless you arrive late in the day and want to do your 'pilgrimage' stuff in the AM. I prefer somewhere a bit more lively, like Ballina or Westport.

You say you won't be renting a car until after 3-nights at Ashford Castle. How will you be getting around??

I have to say that if you're going from Co. Mayo to Co. Clare, Galway is definitely worth an overnight stop. Then, in west Clare, you'll want to see the Cliffs of Moher, maybe the Burren. Further south, you might want to stop for lunch at Dromoland Castle (where G.W. Bush stayed last year). I wouldn't recommend it for an overnight stop: too expensive for me.

I like Ennis for the last night. It's close to Shannon airport and Cruise's Restaurant & Pub there has Trad Irish Music every night (best on weekends). In Ennis, you could stay at the Temple Gate or the Old Ground Hotel.
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 06:28 AM

The "must see" around Ashford is the Connemara. It is the most spectacular part of Western Ireland, and you can spend many days exploring the beaches, restaurants, mountains, and pubs. A very short drive west of Cong will put you in great country. Clifden is the center of things out there, good B&Bs restaurants, and plenty to do. Then, just a short drive to Westport.

The earlier advise is very good. Mayo, Co. Galway, and Clare will have plenty for you to do, and see. Very good B&B stops would be Clifden, Westport, Ballina(Co. Mayo), Galway City, Ballyvaughan, Kilkee, Ennis(Co. Clare).

Too much driving can be waste of valuable time in Ireland. Enjoy the people, get out and talk and walk.
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 07:16 AM

depending on flight arrival to knock and transportation...you may want to consider westport for a night instead of knock

if wedding festivities will not consume the entire time of 3 days at ashford...you may want to consider having a car to tour connemara from there

if you spend some time in connemara...I would go south from there and do doolin (cliffs of moher/burren), 2 days in dingle (slea head drive)1 kenmare (muckross house, ross castle, killarney national park, scenic drive to kenmare), last night in bunratty or ennis

if want to go north and didn't see connemara...
tour connemara/clifden/sky road/kylemore abbey/famine relief road , stay in westport
see sligo on way to donegal for 3 nights (donegal, slieve league cliffs, glencolombkille, glenveigh national park, day trip to derry and/or giant's causeway, many scenic drives)
then last night in ennis or bunratty

if you were able to see connemara from cong, skip westport and spend next to last night in doolin (burren/cliffs of moher)

6 days until I leave for Ireland! All of the above are on our itinerary for our extended family (10 of us!)trip. I have visited most of above on a previous trip, so had to include our favorites to share with the family...looking forward to experiencing some new areas (donegal/giant's causeway), have heard/read great things!

slainte!
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks very much for your feedback. In answer to your questions: We arrive at Knock airport at 7 pm; chose a B&B there, as our friends are sending a car to pick up wedding guests at the airport the next day, so we didn't want to take them too far out of their way. For the 3 days at the castle, daily activities have been arranged on-site or as day trips for those who wish. Following the wedding, guests are being driven to Knock or Shannon airports; hence we'll pick up our car then. Appreciate very much your knowledgeable feedback.
Carla, the German Shorthair Pointer owner
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 02:27 PM

Hi Carla:

A couple of things. If you are getting a car, you might want to have them drop you off at the Galway airport on the way to Shannon. It's just off the N18. You can pick up a car there from a few rental companies.

My suggestion, with 5 days, is to either go north or south. Driving is slow and there is so much to see in small areas. It hard to say what the day trips will be during the wedding festivities so finding that out may help. I would be surprised if it didn't include a boat trip on Lough Corrib and hopefully a stop on Inchagoill Island. It's a beautiful trip in nice weather.

Day trips may include time in Connemara or Westport so you may want to consider going south instead. Galway is another likly choice for a day trip from Ashford. See if you can find out what those plans are so you can plan the rest of the trip.

You've gotten some good ideas from the folks here. When you narrow it down, we can give you more suggestions in specific areas.

Bill