Short Itinerary for S'West/ West Ireland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28th, 2006, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please advise. My husband and I will arrive in Shannon (from Detroit) at noon on April 26. I will return on Monday May1 (flight departs at 8:45am)and my husband will remain in Nenagh on business until May 6. We are plannning to rent a car. Our original thought was to do as much as possible (from the Giant's Causeway to the Ring of Kerry with Dublin in between!) however after reading numerous postings I feel we would be better off focusing on a much smaller area. Since my return flight leaves early I would like the last eve to be in the Ennis/Bunratty area (close to the airport). Other areas of interest include: Killarney/Kenmare/Cork(or Blarney);Cashel and or Kilkenny and the Galway area. We of course want to see the Cliffs of Moher and the Burren. We'd love to take in some local pubs and traditional music as well as any other interesting historical sites (there are so many!) We were considering two night s in Kenmare at O'Donnnabhains. Would we be better to base ourselves in Killarney and drive around? Just not sure if this is too spread out and unreasonable for such a short period. Seems like Kilkenny or Cashel to Galway could be quite a drive also. Thoughts? What would you leave out? What is a "must" for a first-time visitor? I know everyone says "save some for the next trip" but I'd prefer to plan as though this is the one and only --just in case!
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 09:36 AM

You have 4 days and have bitten off more than you can chew. Here's something you might consider

26th - Cliffs of Moher & Burren, overnight in Doolin.

27th - Head for Dingle via Killmer-Tarbert Ferry, up the Connor Pass, and drive the Slea Head Ring, overnight in Dingle.

28th - Killarney/Kenmare area. Lots to do/see in that area. Overnight Kenmare.

29th - Stop by and Kiss the Blarney Stone on your way to Kinsale. Overnight Kinsale.

30th - Depart Kinsale for Cashel/Cahir, arriving Bunratty late afternoon. Shopping/pub/castle/folk park, that PM/evening. Spend night in Bunratty.

1 May - Depart. Give yourself enough time to clear immigration at the airport and do some last-minute shopping.

OK -- There's a doable strawman. Take it from there and have a great time.
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 10:23 AM

I second Budman's suggestions. Even his is rather fast-paced, but with 5 days, fast-paced is the name of the game. Have a delightful time!
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 11:24 AM

Dear Melissa,
Lucky you!! Ireland is wonderful. First you must realise that it takes forever to get somewhere in Ireland, but that's the fun of it. Two nights in Kenmare sounds like a good idea. You could do the ring of Kerry (amust) from there and when you are at the southern part of the ring do a side trip to SKELLIG MICHAEL. Believe me, you won't regret it, We took our children and spouses in 2001 and it waw the highlight of the trip. What is SKELLIG MICHAEL? It is the most memorable and magical site to visit on the Iveragh Peninsula!!SKELLIG MICHAEL is a rocky pinnacle towering over the sea, where medieval monks built their monastery in ascetic isolation. The crossing to the island can be rough, so boats don't go every day. You must call ahjead, and reserve because it is a National Preserved site and they have a limited number of people that can visit each day. Look in FROMMER'S guide on Ireland and you can get the Ferry names and phone numbers. This is the best side trip and least touristy excursion in all of Ireland!! This can be done on the same day that you do the ring of Kerry. PLEASE chech it out!! One night in Killarny would work if you do the Lakes of Killarny, Killarney National Park, Muckross House and Gardens and Farms,Ross Castle and GAP OF DUNLOE. Cork and Kinsale could be another LONG day. Last end up at the cliffs of Moher and sleep close to Shannon. Don't be disappointed if you can't squeese in the Burren I was not too impressed.
One last note on SKELLIG MICHAEL - It will give you a taste of the Dingle Pinensula because on it are six beehive-shaped huts of mortarless stone construction, two oratories, and a church.The smaller of the Skellig Islands has no space for human habitation, but is home during nesting season to over 20,000PAIRS of gannets. Ferries leave from Ballyferriter call (066/947-4268) or (066/947-9182 ; or from Portmagee call Murphy's (066/947-7156). Have a good time, and don't worry - You'll go back!!
Nannibray
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for the great suggestions. I have been busy researching accomodations along the route Budman has suggested. Things look good until I get to Saturday and Sunday evening. I hope someone can help me with this little glitch. Based on our travel dates and the aforementioned itinerary we would be in Kinsale on Sat. 4/29. Unforunately there is very limited availability in town that weekend (I did find a Master ste at the Trident but cost was >250 euros pps which is a little steep for us). Any suggestions? Would we be better off looking for lodging closer to Cork or Blarney and just visiting the town of Kinsale? I am also looking for lodging ideas for Sunday in or near Bunratty--availability is also looking sparse here. Would Ennis be too long of a drive to the Shannon airport for an 8:45 am flight? Lastly, regarding accomodations in Doolin? Any suggestions or favorites? Where would you recommend for dinner, a pint and some trad music on a Weds. night in Doolin?

Thanks again for all the help and suggestions!
Melissa
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 07:22 PM

Hi Melissa, Budman has given you an excellent itin. It is almost the same one we are doing at the end of April but we have a couple of extra days. As for accom in Kinsale, I don't know where you have tried yet but from my research can suggest either The Old Presbytery http://www.oldpres.com/or The Olde Bakery http://www.theoldebakery.com/(I guess they like "old" in Kinsale!) In Bunratty, Dunaree http://www.dunaree.com/ and Doolin http://www.ballyvarahouse.com/ or Daly's http://www.dalys-house.com/doolin.aspx. Good luck!
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 03:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Starfish! I will check out all your suggestions pronto! We are planning around a conference my husband is attending first week of May--if we had realized about the holiday we would have probably tried to schedule our time after his business rather than before. (prior worked out better for the granmas who are babysitting tho' so maybe not!) Really appreciate all your help and suggestions. Just curious, what are your thoughts on reversing the itin to avoid the coast on the weekend? (doesn't quite flow as nicely to me)

Thanks again!Melissa
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 04:30 AM

If you are thinking of doing the trip in the reverse order, I would think on arrival you could drive to and stay in Cashel, then onto Kinsale, Kenmare and Dingle for subsequent nights. As your flight leaves too early to stay in Doolin you would have to stay closer to Shannon (Bunratty, Newmarket-on- Fergus). You could leave Dingle via the Conor Pass and take the ferry up the coast, see the Cliffs and then head to your destination. I think that would probably work fine - the resident experts may have more to add (and possibly dispute!). Budman, Green Dragon what do you think?
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 04:35 AM

Sorry, meant to say I don't know if it will just be the Kinsale coast that is busy that weekend - it may be just as hard to get accom. around Dingle at that time. See if you have any luck with the other accom. suggestions for Plan A first and then consider altering if you have to.
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 07:45 AM

woohoo! Someone thinks I'm an expert !!

Actually, although I've researched this area A LOT, I've not gotten farther north/west of Tralee in the past. This June will be my venture into County Clare, so won't be a huge help on the practicalities until then. And that is far after Melissaklob's trip !

However, it looks good 'on paper' to me. Budman and/or Italian_Chauffeur (sp?) might have more hands-on advice to offer.

Old Mar 30th, 2006, 08:47 AM

LOL, Green Dragon, you are far more of an expert than me that is for sure. At least you have been to Ireland! But, I do feel that,with all the help I got from you,Budman,Italian Chauffeur and the many other resident experts in arranging my trip,I have a fairly good idea of what might work so I hope I'm not leading poor Melissa down the garden path. I guess once my own trip takes place I will know for sure - maybe I should just button it 'till then but I probably won't - it's just my nature to try and help where/if I can. Hopefully I am helping!
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 09:17 AM

I've mentioned this board before, but it bears repeating. Michele Edvig's www.irelandyes.com travel board is a great resource. She's traveled to Ireland over 35 times, I believe, and her recommmendations are only places she's stayed at herself. It has LOTS of good information on driving, coupons, sites, etc, as well as a nice, friendly chat board.