Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Summer sale to Europe from US: any hopes at this moment?

May 31st, 2006, 05:55 PM
gpm
Original Poster

At this moment,anyone sees any chance of a sale to Europe?
Thanks.
May 31st, 2006, 05:56 PM
gpm
Original Poster

Sorry, forgot to mention:
Summer sales for FLIGHTS from US to Europe.
May 31st, 2006, 06:12 PM

Hi gpm,a summer sale to Europe from the US..I seriously doubt it. What with fuel cost, airlines having budget problems, less flights, planes packed, anticipated lots of people flying to Europe this summer (from everything I have read) I don't personally see any chance of a sale this summer.
May 31st, 2006, 06:53 PM

I, too, don't think there's a chance there will be a sale for the summer. Summer's a boon time for the airline industry in terms of US to Europe travel.

However, I won't discourage you from looking. You might find that one fleeting surprise.

Check out this thread for places to check:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34796928

And good luck!
May 31st, 2006, 07:05 PM

Air France was advertising summer sales to many points in Europe just last week or so. I am on their mailing list so saw that. I already have bought my summer fare, but out of curiosity I checked these so-called "sale" fares to see if they were lower than what I had found within the month or two before. They weren't, at least not to Paris from where I live, so I don't know what the sale was supposed to be. I think they were about the same as I had found previously (which was around $1100 RT IAD-CDG).
May 31st, 2006, 07:08 PM

Oh, have you tried Priceline or Hotwire?
May 31st, 2006, 07:16 PM

There won't be many advertised sale. But that doesn't mean all fares are super high. Where are you flying from, and where do you want to go, and when?

For example, you can still get tickets for <$900 New York-London for any date in July, <$800 on a few.

Not cheap, but it's not that much more than previous years.
May 31st, 2006, 09:06 PM

There have been sales to Europe already. There have been great fares to Manchester, Edinburgh, and Cologne, among those I remember.
Jun 1st, 2006, 05:56 AM

gpm, I had been waiting for a summer sale since October 2005 .. and finally out of nowhere in april my husband happened to jump on Expedia.com and saw that United offered a cheap fare from IAD to Frankfurt. We then went on United and it was true. $715 r/t per person on a direct flight. The same flight the day before was 1200. It was a special (that was not advertised anywhere) that they had for 2 days on that route. The sales are out there .. they just like to hide. Good Luck!
Jun 1st, 2006, 05:59 AM

You realize that a lot of the (fewer) seats flying are being taken by Europeans who are flying over HERE because of the favorable exchange rate don't you?

British just had a sale but I'm not certain how far into the "Summer" the dates extended; we bought tickets for travel in September.

Every report I've heard and read this year has pointed out the fact that airline ticket prices have risen over 20 times in the past year, that fewer seats are flying, and that prices will probably continue to rise.
Jun 3rd, 2006, 11:09 AM
rex

Try "Dream Maps" on travelocity.com

Best wishes,

Rex
Jun 4th, 2006, 05:15 AM

Rex's idea is a really good one if you aren't too picky about where in Europe you need to fly into. I too had been waiting and waiting for a sale for this summer. On dream maps I found that there were really cheap tickets from where we live to Dusseldorf--a place I never had reallyheard of or would have ever checked for a fare. From there we bought another flight and continue on. We're going MSP to DUS round trip at the end of this month for $635.
Jun 4th, 2006, 05:22 AM

Julies, how long ago did you book that flight? I never thought of Dusseldorf!
Jun 4th, 2006, 05:36 AM

Well Sale prices are a relative thing.
Considering the cost of fuel etc -$1,000 all in for an adult is about average for summer.

I saw some pretty agressive pricing for Shannon the other day but then you have add on another leg (or two).

You might be able to save a $200 to $300, but the hassle factor and time will increase. Some people pick their destinations based solely on the cost of getting there. Domestic US flights are so competitive that the profit for the airlines is in international (look at the changes Delta is making).
Jun 4th, 2006, 08:22 AM
rex

Glad to have been able to provide some useful info, julies...
Jun 4th, 2006, 09:02 AM

All of us can speculate about this and that, post a fantastic story about a fare found last week, or the possibility of some airline just going bonkers next week, etc., etc.

The way I approach the process is to set up a measuring stick to what I can and expect to spend for airfares during a period of time and to certain locations and set up an acceptable (TO ME) amount I'm willing to spend.

Here are my thoughts on fares this summer to Europe:

US-Continental Europe- July & August- the measuring stick is $1000. If I can find something cheaper, GREAT! and if I have to pay few $ more, ok, but $1000 (all in) is my acceptable level this year.

US-Ireland/UK-July & August- $850-$900 (all in), and again, if I find something cheaper, it's a beautiful thing, but if it goes over by few $, then maybe, maybe not.

This is only valid for me and also only valid from Florida's west coast. If I lived in New York or Boston, I would expect the average fares to be lower, but if I lived in middle of Montana or Wyoming then I would probably expect the average fares to be higher.
Jun 4th, 2006, 07:52 PM

mdmomof7--

I did book that flight 2 months ago, which was a time when everyone on this board was saying that there would be no summer fare sales this year.

Dream maps on Travelocity has been my best bet for trips to Europe for years now. We aren't those who usually have one set place we have to absolutely get to no matter what. (This summer being the exception because we need to get to Lithuania.) There are lots of places we'd like to go to or return to and some flexibility and lots of aggressive fare searching can make it happen. The closest we ever cut it was to buy tickets on a Friday and leave on a Tuesday (for June travel).
Jun 6th, 2006, 05:04 PM

I suppose it all depends on how you define the term "sale" and there are some fokks who wouldn't think a $700 fare is a sale price but I suspect that pretty soon that will seem cheap.
Jun 6th, 2006, 05:24 PM

I agree. Even finding good domestic fares is a greater challenge this year. It will be interesting to see how low things dip in the off-season to Europe this year, but I would be surprised to see it go as low as it was in the past.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO