Wengen to Zurich Airport - Train -

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 07:01 AM
Melissa

Wengen to Zurich Airport - Train -

I have to travel from Wengen to Zurich International Airport to make a 1045 International Flight - which means I would probably have to be at the airport around 8am. Will the train schedules allow me to leave this early in the morning on the same day or would you advise staying in Zurich the night before.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 07:37 AM
iron

The ealiest connection possible :
Dep.05.43 Wengen
Arr.09.16 Zurich-AP
with changes at Lauterbrunnen, Interlaken-Ost. Arr.09.16 for 10.45 flight ..not impossible (quite ok for inter-European flights) but better check with the airline company you are taking. Or better to sleep the night before in Zurich (or in Bern to catch 06.46 train to arrive at 08.16 in ZRH-AP).

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 09:08 AM
s

Hello Melissa,

I know that you've posted another question about Zurich airport hotels, so I suspect that I'm too late with this suggestion. But, anyway, here it is.

IF you are flying on Swiss, you can actually "check" your bag at the train station in Wengen. It'll go to the airport & through the screening & onto the plane. The cost is about 10 - 13 chf, and you need to do it the night before you leave.

But if you do it that way, you may be able stay in Wengen your last night and take the train that arrives at 09.16. All you'd need to do is go through personal screening, etc (and if you have an e-ticket, you might be able to do that at an electronic kiosk at the airport).

Anyway, I think I would do this to stay in Wengen for that last night. I have taken the 05.43 train from Wengen to the airport, arriving at 09.16 with absolutely no problems, but not since 9/11.

But if you do decide to stay in Zurich for your last night, you could stay anywhere in the center of the city and take the S-Bahn to the airport. The S-Bahn takes about 15 minutes to get to the airport from the central train station -- it's very easy.

Anyway, good luck.

s

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 09:19 AM
Bob Brown

You could stay overnight in Interlaken and get to the airport by 8:16.
But the transportation to the airport from downtown Zürich is frequent and timely.
As said earlier, you cannot get there from Wengen until 9:16.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 10:46 AM
Melissa

Still podering on what to do. If I do decide to stay in Zurich - Hotel Schweizerhof sounds really convenient. What does everyone think? Its between staying in Zurich or Bob's suggestion to stay in Interlaken that night.

Thanks for the suggestion s. I am too paranoid about missing flights to leave Wengen that morning(even though im sure it would be okay).

Thanks Again - Melissa

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 12:52 PM
Nancy

Dear Melissa,

After leaving Wengen we stayed in Luzern, which is a charming & very scenic small city (stay in the old section). The airport was an hour's train ride away and worked out quite nicely.

I haven't hear too many raves about Zurich.

Good Luck

P.S. From Wengen to Luzern took about 3 1/2 hours by cog & train.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 02:16 PM
Bob Brown

Luzern is pretty. You could find a hotel there close to the train station and head for the Zürich airport the next morning. There is a train that leaves at 7:10 and arrives at the airport with no changes at 8:13.
Swiss trains are punctual, and rarely if ever do they miss their schedules.

There is also a slightly earlier train that involves one change at the main station. You would have to move it to make the connection, however. The schedule allows 8 minutes to make the change, but you have to get from track 4 to track 54. I don't recall the layout of the main station well enough to tell you how far it is between tracks 4 and 54.

As a bonus, the ride from Interlaken Ost to Luzern is via the Brunig Pass.
It is quite scenic as train rides go.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 03:49 PM
s

Melissa,

You're right; the possibility of something going wrong could wreck that last night in Wengen. So it would be worth it in peace of mind to get close to the airport.

I like your pick of the Schweizerhof; I picked that hotel once for myself but then decided I couldn't afford it! I envy you your stay there; let me know how you enjoyed it.

Also remember that there are great things to do in Zurich too. My mother's friend, who lives in Zurich, enjoys taking the ferry boat over to Rapperswil.

Be sure to post when you get back!!

s