Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

HELP PARIS EXPERTS: THE 8TH ARRONDISEMENT

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 09:50 AM
Wendy

At the end of August, my husband and I will be in Paris for the 1st time (actually I was there when I was seven years old, but don't remember a thing). We are staying at a hotel in the 8th. Arondisement. I am wondering what sites are in walking distance (we are good walkers, so distance is not that much of an issue). How far is the Island, St. Germaine and other very quaint areas? Finally, any suggestions on reasonably prices bistro in the 8th or in the other typically "French" areas in Paris? Thank you so much for your help!!

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 09:56 AM
xx

open a book and READ, the info you want is everywhere.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 11:14 AM
Christina

The 8th is very central and most tourist attractions are within walking distance (Tour Eiffel, the islands, Louvre, etc.), as is Saint-Germain (which isn't that quaint in a lot of spots if you ask me)-- if you like to walk pretty far. I imagine the Louvre may be a mile as a guess.

Since you are definitely going, don't you think it would be a good idea to get a guidebook and a map? It's true you don't have to get a map ahead as you can get lots there; I do like Streetwise Paris which is a folded laminate and will help you figure things out for planning. A good guidebook will help you figure out what sites are near your hotel as they will have maps and walking tours, etc.

I don't know bistros in the 8th very well, unfortunately, There is a nice place that serves good seafood down on 10 av de NY near place de l'Alma (really in the 16th) which has a great view of the Eiffel Tower. It's called Port Alma and is moderately priced, I'd say.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 12:27 PM
unknown

If Elvira or Rex asked a question like this, many of you would fall all over yourselves to kiss their butt. But let an unknown person ask a question and you insult them. And don't say that Elvira or Rex don't ask dumb questions because they just give dumb answers.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 12:35 PM
RnR

Invest in the Cheap Eats book and use it!!! The 8th is a nice area, perhaps not the most famous, but it does have very good places to see. By the way, being one mile from something in Paris is a blessing - you get top walk and see all the neat things along the way.

If you see a posting from Elaine, ask her to email you her wonderful Paris file of information. And by all means keep posting your questions. If you insert some key words, you'll come up with a ton of information about all facets of Paris. Also look for postings by Chritina and Elvira as well, and Fred.

Have a great trip! RnR

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 12:42 PM
here we

xx is bit of a one trick pony, no?

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 01:29 PM
Sherri Kardell

Dear Elaine;I have found these web sites invaluable for restaurant info. in Paris : www.zagat.com www.eatinparis.com and www.ricksteves.com go to graffiti wall tatebud treats ( France).
Viva la France
p.s. ignore the negative responses above everyone needs help sometimes ; it's hard to know where to begin . I hope this info. will be helpful. I have lots of info on the 5th ; 6th and 7th if you want it email me; and let me know what your specific needs are.
Good luck
Sherri

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 03:57 PM
Sandy

Hi Wendy... I figured I'd bump your question to the top. Hopefully some kind person will give you some first-hand info on Paris in the 8th Arr.! Sandy