Search

Paris Vacation

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24th, 2009, 09:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris Vacation

I am taking the family to Paris this summer and would love input from those with experience. We have never been and would like recommendations for sights and eating. It will be my wife, daughter (10), son (21) and myself. Arriving June 26th a.m. and leaving July 2 p.m. We are staying at the Paris Marriott Champs-Elysees. I am sure we will spend a couple days at the Louvre, see Versailles, Notre Dame. I was also thinking of a day trip to Normandy. If anyone could suggest a possible itinerary or things to do, as well as some idea of mid-range places to eat. Thanks.
Old Apr 24th, 2009, 10:12 AM

Here is our 3 day itinerary which might help derive part of your plan from. This is based on researched opening times and logistics.

SEPT. 25TH FRIDAY. AFTERNOON TRAIN TO PARIS FROM AMSTERDAM / FRIDAY NIGHT.. EIFFEL TOWER FROM PONT NUEF(SP) BRIDGE.

SEPT. 26TH SATURDAY ... ISLE LOUIE,ISLE DE LA CITE,
NOTRE DAME, ST CHAPPELLE, LEFT BANK, NIGHT SEINE CRUISE

SEPT. 27TH SUNDAY ....MUSEE D'ORSAY, RODIN SCULPTURE GARDEN, LUXUMBURG GARDEN

SEPT. 28TH MONDAY.....PERE LACHAISE CEMETARY, MARAIS (JEWISH QUARTER),SACRE COUER, EIFFEL TOWER AT NIGHT ( yes, again)
Old Apr 24th, 2009, 04:12 PM

Hi Michael

Definitely get a guide book(s). I found the Rick Steves Paris guidebook very helpful, especially for my first solo trip to Paris. It's very good on practical information for getting around and museum and site information. Also get a good map or maps since your son may go off on his own. I recommend the Michelin Paris Street Map. It's a small spiral bound notebook and great because you never have to bother with unfolding and folding a large map and covers all of Paris. This site and www.ricksteves.com have itinerary suggestions based on your length of stay.

For me one of the best parts of planning an itinerary is to make sure that I am are grouping together items in the same geographical area and not crisscrossing the city. I never do everything on my list. The Fat Tire Bike Tours are fun. I've taken two of their tours and enjoyed both.

Don't know what is mid-range for you for meals, you need to post that information for others to give you a helpful list, but the Champ-Elysees can be or is one of the most expensive streets to eat. Just wanted you to be aware so it doesn't skew your view of prices in Paris.
Old Apr 24th, 2009, 04:54 PM

First, get a good guide book. There are loads, and if you peruse them you'll find one that works for you. Next, have everyone in the family read it and decide what each of your priorities are. Build your trip around that.

Then get a good map and group together the destinations that your family members have decided are paramount. Plan your trip accordingly.

You are staying only a short time. A couple of days at the Louvre? I don't know anyone, even serious art lovers, who'd want to spend two days at the Louvre. If you want to make a daytrip out of Paris, Versailles is a good choice, but there are also plenty of others - make sure your family members agree on the best one. Take only one daytrip at most.

Totally forget Normandy, unless you want to do one of those tiring all-day day trips, and even then I wouldn't attempt it. Paris has so much to offer you'll be overwhelmed just trying to see as many things as you can in the time you've allotted yourselves.
Old Apr 25th, 2009, 01:20 AM

jetsetj:
Your Sept. 28 schedule covers a lot of geography in disparate parts of the city.

Michael:

As StCirq pointed out, many guidebooks feature day-by-day suggested tours. Select sites you wish to see and group them geographically and moderately. Keep in mind that during the summer the sites will be crowded-very, very crowded-which will limit the number and quality of your visits to various sites, and the number of air molecules you can breathe.

Champs-Elysees and other streets frequented by tourists have overpriced restaurants, though they have fast food joints as well. Champs has a McDonalds and Quick Burger within steps of each other. And, if you venture onto side streets you may find better choices at more moderate prices.

I'd also forget meccas to mid-priced restaurants. There are zillions of good restaurants throughout Paris, and, no need to consume precious time traveling across town to find a good meal. Try those restaurants/cafes/brasseries that appeal to you when you're in a neighborhood at meal-time. Menus are posted outside. Remember, also, that meals are taken slowly, at least away from the tourist magnets.

I'd skip side trips outside Paris, unless you want a whirl-wind vacation.

Enjoy your trip.
Old Apr 25th, 2009, 01:44 AM

I think we may have misunderstood the post. Michael has posted 3 days of his itinerary but he says in the opening para that he arrives in Paris on June 25 and leaves on July 2. However, the actual dates he has posted are September dates - I'm thoroughly confused but am going to assume he has 5-6 days, not 3.

I hope the other posters don't disagree, but I think that Paris is a city that needs to be wandered through. On my first trip with some girlfriends we raced around making sure we saw 'everything'. Last year with my husband we slowed everything down and just strolled from one place to the other. As well as all the places we wanted to see, we sat in parks, looked in shops and churches that we came across. It was a fabulous trip and we can't wait to return.

Anyway, the point of the post is that you need to allow time to get lost, time to stop if you see something that catches your attention.
Old Apr 25th, 2009, 03:14 AM

Cathies ???!!! It seems that YOU are wrong. Micahel did not post any itinerary, he only asked for advices.
Old Apr 25th, 2009, 04:37 AM

He arrives June 26 and Departs July 2. It's a very short trip.
Old Apr 25th, 2009, 04:48 AM

You could build your itinerary by starting with a 3-day plan such as provided at Frommers.com (sorry, Fodors, but you don't have this kind of itinerary online). Add or drop sights according to your interests. Many guidebooks also have organized 'itineraries' so you don't have to start from scratch.

Two key things to keep in mind:
1. try to keep things geographically together
2. pay attention to open/close days

If you feel like it, join one or two of the Paris Walks tours, inexpensive
( http://www.paris-walks.com/ )
or a more active type of tour by bicycle or Segway:
( http://fattirebiketours.com/paris )
especially early into the visit so you get an overview.
Old Apr 25th, 2009, 03:08 PM

Oops my mistake, no wonder I was confused, I was looking at Jetsetj's itinerary and thought it was the posters. Sorry everyone!
Old Apr 25th, 2009, 04:11 PM

Michael, let your daughter and your son get a good look at the guide book too. You may be suprised what interests them. I would recommend the yellow hoho open tour bus if the weather is nice. It has four routes ao you can get a good overview. These get mixed reviews but if you have not been at all they give a good overview of the city then you can know what you want to return to. The other posters are correct good guide book, good map and pour over this and other forums for so much info your head will spin. After you have fashioned your itinerary post it and get feedback.

I had always wanted to go to the Louvre but it was not my favorite place at all too big too crowded and too hot. I was disappointed. Personally I would skip it on my first trip. We leave in 10 days and I hope to only walk by and wave.

There are places with the most fab icecream and gelato and chocolat chaud. Get a menu translator and have your daughter get familiar with the foods. You will still get ew gross! SHe will enjoy figuring out the slates so you can see what you want to eat before you go in. THat will be our 12 year old's "job" this trip.

Your daughter would love Marie Antionette's Petit Hameaux at Versailles. BUT as others recommend that is the only day trip i would consider

PM me and I can share a wealth of info for kids

Bonne Chance!
Old Apr 25th, 2009, 05:24 PM

Listen to St. Cirq.
Old Apr 25th, 2009, 06:26 PM

Actually, it's easy to spend two days in the Louvre, at least in my case, once I get in there I always have a heck of a time finding my way out!!!!! My friend and I kept following the Sortir signs and kept hitting walls and passed the same sarcophagus at least five times. It was getting late and I was exhausted and almost felt like curling up in there for the night. Hell, at my age, they wouldn't be able to tell me from the mummy!!!!!

Seriously michael, one day, or half day is really enough, especially if it's crowded. I second following StCirq's suggestion.
Old Apr 25th, 2009, 07:21 PM

crefloors, I've been known to get lost in the Louvre for days at a time, so I know what you're talking about, but this guy has a short vacation. He can't spend two days in the Louvre and accomplish much else at all.
Old Apr 26th, 2009, 05:45 AM

Michael, you've gotten lots of good suggestions. My thoughts:
1. I also agree that all four of your should look through the guidebooks and see what looks interesting. Have everyone write down his or her top three things to do and try to include all on your agenda. You can also split up into groups of 2 and 2 or 3 and 1 to be sure everyone gets in the favorites.
2. In such a short time, I wouldn't take any side trips, but if you really want to see Versailles, you could work that in.
3. I recommend getting a Museum Pass. It saved us money and time.
4. Get to the Louvre before it opens to get in line. Once you get there, go immediately to the Mona Lisa. The guidebooks have a list of the most popular works to see. Try to see those first. Then you can decide what else and how much you want to see. (Or you can take a guided tour. We didn't do that, but lots of people recommend doing so.)
5. Get a Zagat guide and keep it with you. We had a general idea of where we were going to eat and made reservations for most dinners, but were glad to have the Zagat when we ventured away from our plan.
6. Go up in the Arc de Triomphe instead of the Eiffel Tower. It's a shorter trip to the top, and you can see the Tower and everything else well, and the lines aren't as long. (Admission to the Arc is included on the museum pass.)
7. We loved the Fat Tire Bike Tour. Wee took the one at night, which left the daytime free for other activities. The night tour also included a boat tour of the Seine.
8. It's easy just to grad a crepe or snadwich for lunch. Stands are everywhere. Banana with Nutella crepes are the most delicious food in Paris.
9. Eat at Le Relais d'Entrecote. Your son will love it. We ate at the one in St. Germain.
10. Also good is L'As de Falafel in the Marias. If anyone is a food-fussy, try a sample of the filling first. My daughter couldn't handle so much cumin, but I loved it. (It's good to go to the Marais on Sunday since the stores are open there, and aren't open in many other areas of Paris.)
11. Another really good place we ate was Chez L'Amin Jean. Amazing rice pudding!
12. Walk everywhere that you can.
13. The movie "Paris, Je t'aime" had just come out before we went and we watched it a couple of times. Because of it, we went to Parc Monceau and Pere Lachaisse cemetery, which turned out to be two of our favorite places.
Hope this helps.
Old Apr 28th, 2009, 06:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the help. I had thought 2 days at the Louvre because both of my kids really enjoy art and museums. I think I will plan on getting the museum pass. Is it worthwhile to get the combination museum pass/transportation pass?

What does everyone think of this:
Arrival day - get situated at hotel and spend afternoon in Latin Quarter.

Day 2: Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, evening do canal/Seine/Illuniation cruise.

Day 3: Versaille Trip. 9:30 p.m. dinner and show at Lido.

Day 4: Louvre. Wine tasting.

Day 5: Catacombs Tour (my daughter really wants to) and Museum D'Orsay.

Day 6: Kids choice morning, Montmarte in the afternoon.

Day 7: Leave for home.

Are the museum passes easy to come by when we get there or would anyone recommend we buy online before going? Thanks again.
Old Apr 28th, 2009, 06:41 AM

I think it is good that you are dropping Normandy. It is an amazing, somber place that needs more than one day.

I think your itinerary looks doable. You received some good advice above about making sure the things you are wanting to see are close to each other. We put pinpoints on one of our maps, then drew circles around it of a manageable area to see what else was in there. You may also want to see when certain markets are being held in an area as you may want to shift your schedule so you are there on that day. You may want to explore the area around Champs-Elysees the first day, and explore the Latin Quarter when you do Notre Dame. Musee D'Orsay is wonderful, and I would make time for L'Orangerie if your kids like Monet. Depending on how long you get your passes, you may wont to put our museum days closer together to be more efficient, unless you get the six day. One upside of the pass is always knowing there is a bathroom close by!
Old Apr 28th, 2009, 08:34 AM

The museum passes are very easy to purchase once in Paris. Since you will be at Notre Dame on your first full day I recommend purchasing the pass at the Concierge. There are rarely any lines at this museum, so the purchase be quick.
Old Apr 28th, 2009, 08:48 AM

Sorry, but this will probably seem like random thoughts, but here goes...

I agree with cat exploring the Latin Quarter on day two. Perhaps you can visit the Eiffel Tower on your arrival day.

I'm not sure you would gain any advantage with the Museum Pass, be sure to run to the numbers first. I've never seen the combination museum pass/transportation pass here on Fodor's and yes, the museum pass is easy to get in Paris.

The main thing I see missing from your itinerary is the Marais. I also think you may like the Carnavalet museum which is free.

One thing to keep in mind with the Louvre is that you can take a break for lunch or whatever and return for more. You might also consider doing the Louvre on Wednesday, when it is open late into the evening.

I don't see your schedule as being busy at all, and you should keep it that way. You can always keep in mind the other things that are in whatever area you will be in on a certain day, and if you have free time decide then if you want to add something.
Old Apr 28th, 2009, 08:57 AM

Meant to say - I've never seen the combination museum pass/transportation pass <b>recommended</B> here on Fodor's!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -