Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Wengen- Hotel Regina or Hotel Alpenrose ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30th, 2004, 01:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
I will be going to Wengen next summer. Have any of you had experiences with either Hotel Regina or Hotel Alpenrose? At the Hotel Regina, is it very formal for dining which we don't like.
Any help would be appreciated. Thx.
Evelyn
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 03:31 PM

Check out this one before making a decision. Price, location, views, food, and Judith and Andreas the owners will make you feel very much at home. I won't stay anywhere else in the B.O. area.

http://www.bellevue-wengen.ch/e/

Larry J
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 04:28 PM

I think it may depend on the room you are able to get. We stayed at the Alpenrose about eight years ago and had an excellent room looking out over the mountains. The hotel and location i.e. view was great but we found the restaurant a bit too bland and frugal ! I would communicate with them and get detailed descriptions of available rooms. Further I understand that ownership may have changed since we visited.
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 04:49 PM

If you click on my screen name you should find a few other posts in which I extolled the virtues of the Hotel Regina. We stayed for four nights last October, on the half-board plan, and it was terrific. The room had mountain views, the evening meals were four-star quality with a very engaging staff, everyone was friendly and helpful. Dining is not "formal" but it was white linen, we dressed in nice clothes - no jeans & sneakers - and the French chef took his handiwork very seriously. I highly recommend it.
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 07:08 PM

HI Evelyn: I've already told you ...Alpenrose!! What, you didn't believe me? Although, listening to your responses, I might have to look into the Regina...see you soon.
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 02:47 AM

I would like to add that I found Wengen to be one of the most memorable of all places I have visited. I particularly enjoyed walking down to the village from Kleine Schidegg. If there are doubts about comparing two or more hotels, I have often found that the best one will be the one that responds to your request by email for information on their rooms and facilities. Service and hospitality in particular are often predicted by the communications that preceed the visit !
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 04:27 AM

We loved the Alpenrose...such a warm and cozy place. We still get Christmas cards from the Von Allmons....a marketing ploy I'm sure, but a I like getting them.

We haven't stayed at the Regina and people feel just as passionate about it so I don't think you could go wrong with either.

Wengen is great. Have fun!
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 01:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you who answered by query. I appreciate your advice and will use it.
Wengen is indeed wonderful!
Evelyn