Weekend trip from Munich

Old Oct 12th, 2006, 12:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weekend trip from Munich

I am here in Munich for business for next 2 weeks..and I have already been vacationing in Munich 1 week, and have seen most of the sites here...

Where is a good side trip that I can drive from Munich? I have a rental car with a GPS, so don't mind driving 3-4 hours..
I can take off friday afternoon...and need to return to Munich sunday night.

I was thinking of, Italy(Venice), Prague, Frankfurt, etc....

Old Oct 12th, 2006, 12:37 AM

How about Fuessen or Oberammergau for some of the Ludwig castles; Salzburg; Garmisch; Berchtesgaden; Rothenburg; Prien for Herrenchiemsee (the largest and most elaborately-decorated Ludwig building of all); Bamberg just to name a few closer sites which you might enjoy.
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 02:26 PM

I wouldn't leave Germany.

My three-day tour would take you through Freising, Landshut, Regensburg, Nuremberg, Wurzburg, Rothenburg, Nordlingen, Donauworth, Augsburg, Munich.

Harzer
Old Feb 27th, 2007, 06:15 AM
DAX

I'm ressurecting this thread to get more specific info about Freising, Landshut,& Regensburg. What is the particular appeal of each town/city? In what order of priority should I select them?
Old Feb 27th, 2007, 09:04 AM

Dax,

1. Regensburg...two things come to mind. Bigger than usual midieval town center, lots of outdoor cafes, cutesy shops and the Danube river possibilities like boat tours. I put Regensburg in the same category as say a Wurzburg. Not a major destination but a pleasant enough place to spend a full day or maybe two if you want to slow down.

2. Landshut. Interesting castle and pretty market square, but much smaller feel than Regensburg. Seemed like one of those 'I could stay over night here towns if I had to.'

3. Freising. Weinstephaner brewery and that is about it. Nice suburban alternative for over night to Munich but not really a destination in my humble opinion.
Old Feb 27th, 2007, 11:33 AM

DAX, Regensburg is a UN world cultural heritage site. It was founded by the Romans under epmeror Marcus Aurelius, who build a Castell there (Castra Regina). But most of the houses downtown are built between 1300 and 1500. Bombs have only been dropped close to the train station and everything remained intact. You should try to find a hotel downtown. It's out of the usual, not just a setup for tourists but a town with real people.
Old Feb 27th, 2007, 02:39 PM

DAX,

This last spring we visited Regensburg and Freising for the first time and enjoyed them both.

Regensburg has great gothic cathedral, remnants of a Roman fort and a very pleasant pedestrian zone. My wife took a tour of the Thurn and Taxis palace and wishes to return this year for another. Regensburg has been named a UNESCO heritage site.

Freising is much smaller and not a major tourist destination which made it a good change of pace. The small town is attractive. It is laced with water ways making for pleasant walks. It has the world's oldest brewery. We especially like a visit to the Diözesanmuseum a the Domberg. It had a collection of religious art down through the ages, and most fun for us a collection of manger scenes (creche) from various places. The manger scenes were modeled after the local in which they were built, be it Bavaria, the Alps or Istanbul.

We had such good luck in this part of Germany last year that we are going to visit Landshut this year. It is nice to have a quiet counterpoint to Rothenburg, Munich, Neuschwanstein, etc.

Regards, Gary
Old Feb 28th, 2007, 01:09 PM
DAX

Thank you Born, Logos & Gary. Your feedbacks are just what I was looking for.