Best Etruscan ruins

Feb 17th, 2007, 07:09 PM
Original Poster

Best Etruscan ruins

On a previous trip to Italy, we visited an Etruscan tomb near one of the Tuscan hill towns (can't remember which one). Very disappointing. Just a short tunnel ending in an empty room. I have read that some are extremely interesting. Does anyone out there have a favorite one to visit on our next trip?
Feb 17th, 2007, 07:17 PM

We visited Tarquinia a few years ago. It was actually a diversion offered by a cruise line because there was a storm on the Mediteranean, and we weren't able to leave on schedule. It was one of the high points of the trip. A great museum, many shaft tombs, and a wonderful guide. The latter was a woman, probably in her forites, who was very knowledgeable and was wonderfully unblushing about the sexual iconography in the tombs.
Feb 17th, 2007, 07:42 PM

Hello Lady, I have no idea if this is the best of the Etruscan ruins but I spent a day at The Archeological Park of Baratti and Populonia with Italian friends in Italy a few years ago. Here is a website which will give you an idea of this park. You can also Google this for more websites.
http://www.wwmm.org/storie/storia.as...gina=1&trad=EN
Feb 23rd, 2007, 03:08 AM

This is what my favourite tour company offers:

http://www.romeinlimo.com/etruscan-tour.htm

Feb 23rd, 2007, 03:29 AM

Fiesole has wonderful Etruscan ruins. Fiesole is just outside of Florence.
Feb 23rd, 2007, 04:18 AM

Hi,

Here is a list of Etruscan Museums in Tuscany:
http://www.tuscanweb.com/news/?ID=160

Hope it helps.
Feb 23rd, 2007, 04:01 PM

Orvieto, north of Rome, in Umbria, has an Etruscan past with a fascinating museum and underground caverns once inhabited by the people of the area 2500 yrs ago.
Feb 23rd, 2007, 04:18 PM

Tarquinia is really great. Make sure you go to the museum and then to the necropolis. It beats Orvieto, though Orvieto's underground tour is quite interesting.
Feb 24th, 2007, 12:25 PM

Both Tarquinia and Cerveteri are World Heritage sites of UNESCO. I was in Tarquinia yesterday with a group of students...they were wowed by the sarcophaghi, painted tombs, and the very explicit black and red figure vases. Tourist office is closed from 1-3:30. Good bookshop at both museum and necropolis. The necropolis closes at 2 until the end of March.
Feb 28th, 2007, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks guys. I was pretty sure I wanted to do Orvieto and Tarquinia. With a car, Cerveteri is on the way. Hope to go in May or Sept.