Personal tour guide

Old Apr 15th, 2001, 11:02 AM
Barbara Stultz

Personal tour guide

Has anyone hired a personal tour guide in Rome, Venice and Florence? I can't seem to find any listing for them.

Old Apr 15th, 2001, 11:38 AM
Rex

For Rome, check out

http://www.scalareale.org or
http://www.eternaltourist.com

And maybe for Florence (though I have seen nothing here in print to confirm good or bad), there are tours offered on http://www.weekendafirenze.com

Best wishes,

Rex

Old Apr 15th, 2001, 08:41 PM
Reen

We just got back from Florence last week. We booked a wine tasting (just the 3 of us), see the countryside, and medieval town tour with www.christinastour.com. We had a great time! Hope you will, too.

Old Apr 17th, 2001, 11:25 AM
Ted

We dealt with Firenze Antica, www.firenzeantica.org. Really enjoyed the tour. The guide traces his Florentine ancestry back to 13th century and was extremely knowledgeable.
I can recommend them 100%

Old Apr 17th, 2001, 11:43 AM
Lisa

Have I got a recommendation for you! (I just hope he still works as a tour guide.) I was in Rome four years ago and has the time of my life with my family and our personal tour guide, Massimo. It helped that he was my age, handsome, and able to communicate with me in my Italian/his English. We actually stayed in touch after my trip. He was recommended by our hotel, Hotel Tirreno, and I have his business card. If you think you're interested, post a note and I will email you his information. [Just so you know, I will be in Italy myself in late May and I'm planning to contact him.]

Old Apr 17th, 2001, 11:47 AM
Rex

I, too, would like information about this guy Massimo, as I have not heard back yet from Mayta @ eternaltourist.com - - maybe I will tomorrow (Santa Semana).

Rex

Old Apr 17th, 2001, 02:52 PM
Sylvie

www.customitaly.com

Old Apr 20th, 2001, 06:10 AM
Len

How much on average would you say a personal tour guide should cost in Rome? Per hour I guess?

Old Apr 20th, 2001, 06:28 AM
Rex

Mayta - - at http://www.eternaltourist.com - - charges a very reasonable 40.000 LIT per hour. The services at http://www.customitaly.com (which include a car and driver) are $385 for 3 hours (1-3 people), $430 for 4-7 people, $495 for 8-15 people. Affordable for 15 people, outrageous for 1 or 2.

I am still looking for a mini-van based half-day overview tour for May 4, if anyone has any suggestions.

Scala Reale is taking about a week to respond to requests (but I don't think they do vehicle-based tours at all, do they?)

Old Apr 20th, 2001, 08:09 AM
Len

Thanks Rex. I was quoted $350 for 3 hours to take a private tour in Rome of the Vatican. The woman tour guide was given rave reviews by a friend of mine who used her to also do the Vatican. I was just waondering if $350 for 3 hours for 4 people is steep and if I could do better?

Old Apr 20th, 2001, 08:25 AM
Rex

Len - - does this woman do mini-van based tours? I am not totally resistant to a high price - - though I might like it "custom" if the price is "way up there". How did you find her? How might I contact her?

And we are going to do at least one walking tour also (not counting what I "lead"). I just want something for arrival day that isn't walking-based and hits some highlights that we might never connect together on foot.

As a side note, Mayta says that San Pietro in Vincoli might be closed for "ristauro". Not a big deal, but one of the kinds of things that I thought might fit into a first day driving tour (as a stop - - and thus, the reason I wouldn't want to "do it myself" - - where to park!?)

Old Apr 20th, 2001, 08:40 AM
Len

Rex her name is Christiana and you can book her through Sacca Tours at 800-326-5170. Do you think I could do better than $350 for a good three hour tour?

Old Apr 20th, 2001, 10:17 AM
Rex

Len - - thanks very much for the lead (I think). I called the number and they don't know who Christiana is! but they do have a website and they quoted me $284 for 4 hours, chauffeur-driven, in a 7 seat mini-van. The driver is a knowledgeable English speaker, who is NOT a licensed tour guide (i.e., can NOT accompany us into any of the "sights") - - but this actually sounds like something that matches my objectives pretty well. Sounds like we can specify our "route" pretty much any way we wish (75 km max, but I don't see that as a problem withIN the city). The website is www.saccatours.com - - no booking online - - over the phone only, and their cancellation policy is NO refunds for this short notice - - so I am still thinking about it.

Anybody else ever heard of this company or have any other ideas?

Old Apr 20th, 2001, 10:44 AM
Len

Rex, I just spoke with Enrica at Sacca Tours. I was quoted $270 for 3 hours. I asked about Christaiana and she said she would check to see if she was available, so I don't know who you spoke with. My friend had her an said she was a great guide.

Old Apr 20th, 2001, 12:36 PM
Rex

Very strange, Len...

I guess we are going to go ahead with them. I suppose I shouldn't be hesitant, considering that I even contemplated the Eolo cruise around the Venice lagoon for $1850 (we have decided that it's just too expensive).

Their website seems to tell virtually nothing.

Any chance your friend - - who gave you the "rave reviews" would be willing to correspond by e-mail? Any more specifics about what was good about her? I assume that she was driver and "guide"? I don't quite understand how this company can "do" the Vatican if they offer "chauffered" tours - - but can't actually accompany inside anywhere for lack of an "official" guide's license.

Ed (and Julie), does this smell fishy to you?

Old Apr 20th, 2001, 01:07 PM
Cindy

Max Leotta (www.RomeLimousineService.com) came highly recommended to me. He has quoted $600 US for a full day tour of Rome for 3 passengers.

Old Apr 20th, 2001, 01:18 PM
Eva

Lisa, would you mind emailing Massimo's information? I am planning on going to Rome in September and would love a tourguide!

Rex - if you have any information you could share it would be appreciated.

Old Apr 20th, 2001, 01:36 PM
Rex

Eva,

Pretty much everything I know is here - - though I will post follow-up when I return.

And, for what it's worth, Ed (and Julie) wrote back to me to say that "licensed" tour guides are EXTREMELY rare - - doesn't necessarily connote good or bad.

Old Jun 7th, 2001, 10:07 AM
Sima

Hello Lisa,

Could you please email me Massimo's details?

Thanks in advance,
Sima

Old Jun 7th, 2001, 05:59 PM
arlene koenigsberg

Hi, I was in Rome in April, 2001. We had a fabulous tour guide. Her name is Guilia Bernardini. e-mail is [email protected]. She was so knowledgeable and interesting. She is an actress who went to school in the US. She is half American and half Roman. Use her, you will love her. We are going again to Rome in Sept. and can't wait to go on her Vatican tour!!. Have a great trip. [email protected]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information