weekend trip

Old Aug 29th, 2006, 11:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
weekend trip

I am planning a trip to the cotswolds on my husband's birthday as our last trip there was absolutely amazing.We however will be using public transport as we don't have a car and want to leave on a saturdaya nd get back sunday evening-its basically a short getaway from London.Would love to stay in a farm house as we did that the last time.Any suggestions/advise-looking foward to it..
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 12:05 PM

I hear Flanneruk, apparently a Cotswolds resident, rents out rooms on a B&B basis - en suite to be sure. Apparently his stock in Eurotunnel shares didn't pan out and he needs to make ends meet.
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 12:33 PM

seriously you should re-label your question and repost Looking for Cotswolds Week Getaway Farm Stay or some such as many knowledgeable folks won't respond to a generic posting and it'll sink soon into Fodors Black Hole.
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 02:55 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
On a Sat/Sun you are going to run into problems trying to do this by public transport. Especially if you want to stay in Farmhouse accomodations. Farmhouse B&Bs are usually either in very small villages or out in the country.

You don't have a car - but have you decided firmly against hiring one? Weekend rental rates are pretty good and then you could stay anywhere.

If a car is out, you can take the train to Moreton-in-Marsh, Kingham, or Evesham. so if you want to search for a farmhouse B&B near one of those - that would be your best bet
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 03:09 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
here are three I found w/ a short search - but you can find more.

www.oldfarmdorn.co.uk/ is near Moreton in marsh

www.haselorfarm.com/ and www.smoothhound.co.uk/hotels/cropvale.html are near Evesham
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 01:21 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much-will look into it.Did some google search and found national express coaches going to cirencester and gloucester-what say??unfortunately many of the farm houses around those areas seem to be booked and I thot with the last bank hol summers were kinda over!Another option is somwhere near Oxford on the fringes of the cotswolds....
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 01:36 AM

If I could make an alternative suggestion, how about staying in Bradford on Avon? You take the train from Paddington to Bath, then from Bath to Bradford on Avon. No car needed and the combination would make a pleasant week-end.
http://www.bradfordonavon.co.uk/
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 01:47 AM

BoA is at the far edge of the Cotswolds. A sample route would be catching the 7:15 am train from London Paddington, which gets you into Bath at 8:52 am; then catching the 9:06 am train from Bath to BoA, arriving at 9:21.
Unfortunately, Bath doesn't have left luggage in its station, but since it's only one night away, if you each traveled with only a daypack, you could explore Bath before heading to BoA and you could leave your packs at one of the bigger museums while you poked around town, then caught an afternoon train to BoA. Or go straight to BoA, spend the day (and night) there, then go to Bath on Sunday, again, leave your packs in the vestiare of one of the museums you visit while you explore the town, then return from Bath that evening.
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 01:49 AM

And here's a farmhouse, only 1 mile from the BoA train station:
http://www.beeches-farmhouse.co.uk/farmhouse.htm
Old Aug 31st, 2006, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

Thank you BTilke,really looking into it.. hope it works out