B&B's in Keswick?

Search

B&B's in Keswick?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2005, 12:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
B&B's in Keswick?

In mid-July (yes, I know: high, HIGH season)I (woman traveling alone) will be visiting English friends who have a time-share close to Keswick, probably for 2-3 nights. Any suggestions for comfortable, pleasant lodgings? I would want a private bath, but would hope to pay less than the 360-pounds-for-two-nights offered at the five star hotel in my friend's community ("Underscar&quot! I want to be comfortable, but don't want to see more stars when I look at my bill! thanks!
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 12:53 AM

Don't worry, you can find somewhere nice much cheaper than the price you quote! Do you wish to stay in Keswick itself? Or will you have a car? A car would let you stay at one of the lovely farms in the area that do a very comfortable and reasonably priced B and B.
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 03:22 AM

You'll find plenty of accommodation for less than that, the tourist board ratings are a good guide of quality and facilities. See:

http://www.golakes.co.uk
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

thanks Morgana! a super idea. I will check with my friend and try to get a clearer sense of which side of Keswick she's on. I would prefer not to drive *TO* the LD, but would certainly be comfortable renting one while there.someone else has recommended golakes.uk (see below your message) for checking out places. I'll check there for farms, but if you have a particular one in mind, I'd love to hear about it.
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 11:48 PM

Hi again
Glad you liked the farm idea. To me, the Lake District is all about the stunning countryside and I would always prefer to stay on a farm than in a town. However, this would only make practical sense if you had a car. I have seen posts on here that you can 'do' the Lakes without a car. I disagree completely and utterly! You can scratch the surface but no more.
I am lucky enough to live near the Lakes so can't give you any specific recommendation for farms. However, because of the busy tourist industry in this area you will find that most places are a good standard (they have to be to survive!) and will have a Tourist Board rating or seal of approval. You will also see when you research that they all tend to be roughly the same price and most can offer en suite facilities and a 'farmhouse' breakfast that will set you up for the day!
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 03:34 AM
Original Poster

thanks so much again, Morgana.
I agree @ the car. I lived in England (Cambridge) for awhile,and visited the Lakes back when I was married; needless to say, I am THRILLED to be able to return. someone else posted a Lakes tourism website for me to check out, and now that I have learned that my friend's timeshare is north of Keswick (nr Applethwaite? I think I've got that right), I can use the site to look in the 'right' area--will try that tmrw or over the weekend and let you know the results. Thanks again--I love horses (and animals in general)and as for English Breakfasts--THE BEST !!!!!!!
Old Apr 19th, 2005, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

thanks Morgana and Maria!
through your advice, I checked out the website; forwarded info to my friend; found what looks like a super farmstay:
www.highside.co.uk. I'm thrilled.
NOW: getting there from London. Do you know if the train stops in Penrith, and if so, would that be the right place to rent a car, or should I maybe be taking a bus to Keswick and renting a car there? thanks!
Old Apr 19th, 2005, 01:13 PM
ron

I do know that trains stop in Penrith and buses go from the train station to Keswick, because I have done it. But I would guess the best place to rent a car, in terms of choice, would be Carlisle.
Old Apr 19th, 2005, 02:03 PM

I definitely agree w/ ron. Take the train to Carlisle. There is a much wider choice of rental agencies w/ many of the national chains represented (Hertz, National, etc.)
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 04:13 AM

Wow, had a look at the website and it looks a truly wonderful farm you have found - and I am sure you are pleased with the price! Love the idea of binoculars in the bedrooms to watch for the birds, and the location looks fabulous. So much nicer than being in a town............hope you have a wonderful time and make sure you come back on here and tell us how it went.
Sorry, can't advise about car hire but Ron and Janis are usually spot on with advice.
M
M