Berchtesgaden area places to stay

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16th, 2003, 07:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking for a place to stay for a couple in their 30s in or near &amp;#65279;Berchtesgaden. Don't need a 4 star, something medium sized, cozy, with some charm, where we can enjoy the beauty of the area. Does anyone have any specific suggestions? and would you know if they have a website?<BR><BR>We plan to be there in May for 2 to 3 nights.<BR><BR>Thanks.<BR>Marge
Old Mar 16th, 2003, 08:16 AM

First question: will you have a car? We stayed near the train station because we didn't have a car, and the place was just OK. In town there are some great and quaint places with more to do at night. But if you have a car, you might want to be out on the lake to really enjoy the natural beauty. I just wouldn't want to be &quot;stuck&quot; out there without a car. Hopefully others will have more specific suggestions.
Old Mar 16th, 2003, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

We will have a car. I'd like to do a day trip into Salzberg, maybe spend a night in Halstatt. Our itinerary isn't set yet.<BR><BR>
Old Mar 16th, 2003, 10:41 AM

A few years ago we stayed in Bad Durrnberg, in the mountains above Hallein. We really liked the area, and kept extending our stay, using it as a base for Salzburg, Berchtesgaden, etc. There were several small hotels, a medium-sized spa hotel, and quite a few B&amp;B scattered around the area. We just picked a B&amp;B from the tourist info center in Hallein on arrival.
Old Mar 16th, 2003, 10:51 AM
Peep

My favorite place to stay in that area is the Hotel Schiffmeister, down on the Koenigssee. It's not too far from Berchtesgaden and I LOVE staying right at the lake! The whole area is gorgeous, but the Koenigssee is just wonderful.

Old Mar 17th, 2003, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your help. I'm still trying to decide if we should stay in Berchtesgaden, or maybe stay in Salzberg or Hallstatt.<BR><BR>Staying on the lake does sound wonderful. Hmmmm. <BR>Marge