Reload this Page >

Zurich Hotel Advice

Search

Zurich Hotel Advice

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 01:54 AM
Ken

Zurich Hotel Advice

I'm looking for a nice, centrally located hotel (preferably not on a loud party street) in Zurich, for a combination business/pleasure long weekend. Don't want to break the bank (so probably no five stars), but generally like chic, sleek and comfy places. Any recommendations? Anyone stayed at the Glarnischof? How about the Scheuble? Thanks for your help.

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 05:38 AM
Bob

Ken<BR>One that I have used many times and like very much is the Hotel Central. It should meet all of your requirements and the location is excellent. It is just across the river bridge from main train station and offers good access to both old town and the main shopping area of Hauptbahnhoff Strasse. Hotel has good rooms, good food service, and nice cocktail facilities. Good for business meetings if needed and for pleasure. It is overall a very good hotel.

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 07:20 AM
Nancy

The Central Plaza Hotel is a very nice hotel on the river in a great location for sightseeing, shopping restaurants and business in Zurich. My only comment is that it faces one of the major tram intersections in Zurich, as well as a bridge and a generally busy street. This may be a noise issue, especially in the warmer months. Of course, this is Zurich so &quot;traffic&quot; is a relative term; but I live further down Limmatquai and sometimes the tram noise is disturbing. You might want to ask for a high floor, or a courtyard. (The drawback is that on a very clear day you could see the Alps from a river or street view room; of course it is rarely that clear here….)<BR><BR>I looked up the other hotels you mentioned as I don't know anything about them. The Glarnischof is in a good location, and is on a quieter street than the Central Plaza. The location is in a business and residential, there are not a lot of restaurants in the area. The lake is about a block away. The Scheuble is in the old town/Neiderdorf area which is pedestrian-only and is very charming and has a lot of good restaurants and bars. The hotel appears to be on a small side street, which is a real consideration when staying in the Neiderdorf area, as the bars can go late on weekends and are noisy. If you are on a side street you will be better off. Another good hotel in this area is the Alstadt.<BR><BR>The only other hotel I would recommend is the Widder, which is in another old town section off the Banhoffstrasse, another charming area. This hotel would be quiet at night as well. <BR><BR>Of the two you mention, I would take the Scheuble over the Glarnischof for location. You may also want to have a look at the Central Plaza, the Alstadt and the Widder and see if they fit your budget and requirements.<BR>

Old Jan 28th, 2003, 04:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks very much, Bob and Nancy. That's very helpful. Ken
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 06:06 AM

While I think the Scheuble is fine for a younger person (lively area), I would go for the Glaernischhof. They offer terrific weekend packages. It's centrally located, next to the lake and the shopping areas. It has a cozy and popular bar and it's a quiet neighbourhood at night.<BR>Now, if money is no issue, it's the Widder, for sure.
Old Mar 15th, 2003, 07:55 AM
lynlor

Ursula, hello:<BR><BR>Do you think that the Widder hotel is better than the Baur au Lac? Baur au Lac seems like it would be in a good location. What do you think?<BR><BR>Thanks

Old Mar 17th, 2003, 06:00 AM

lynlor,<BR><BR>Sorry, I see this only now. I am stuck at home with a terrible flu and this with great sunshine outside. (<BR><BR>I consider the Baur au Lac and the Widder the two best hotels in town... when looking in that high price racket, of course.<BR>I think, only the Dolder Grand Hotel has higher prices, but then, it's in a totally different location.<BR><BR>I don't think any of the two is better, they are just very, very different.<BR><BR>While both locations are excellent -- I walk from one to the other within 10 minutes -- the two hotels couldn’t be more different.<BR><BR>The BaL is a traditional very posh place located in a beautiful garden. However, it’s not directly on the lakeshore and I would only go for a room with lakeview, which might be more expensive.<BR>Its garden is wonderful in the summer and the lobby a comfortable spot for an afternoon tea in the winter.<BR><BR>The Widder is not even half the size of the BaL. I’d call it a larger boutique hotel which combines old and and very designed, stylish details. It’s located in eight different houses in a charming neighbourhood in the old town. Given the special architecture of each of the buildings, each room is different, some with private roof terraces. I recommend the Widder to somebody who is open for a real new and special experience.<BR><BR>It’s very difficult to tell which one is better. It’s really a question of personal taste. As to myself, I am a fan of the Widder, especially the Widder Bar, which is a popular hang out place for locals. <BR>If I had the choice right now, I’d go for the Widder. In twenty years or so, I might prefer the BaL.<BR><BR>Sorry, but I cannot comment about the rooms themselves. But given the price of both, I think they don’t lack of anything you may wish to have during your stay in either.<BR><BR>When you check the two web sites out, you’ll will know what I mean. <BR>I think it’s like a question of the type: black or white, apples or oranges?<BR><BR>Both have special offers which might be interesting, because the regular prices are really top level. Check them out and this might help you to take a final decision.<BR><BR>www.bauraulac.ch<BR>www.widderhotel.ch
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 08:17 AM
lynlor

Ursula, <BR><BR>Thank you so much for information and the web sites. <BR><BR>I hope you are feeling better very soon!! <BR><BR>