Zurich hotel advice

Mar 6th, 2003, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

Zurich hotel advice

Planning a one night stand in Zurich this fall, after a trip to Austra (because of our morning flight out of the Zurich airport). Would prefer to spend the day in the city rather than holed up in an airport hotel. Based on this board and some internet research I have narrowed my list to the following hotels. Want something under $150 ($125 if possible) in the main part of the old town (since we only have one day to sightsee). Any opinions of which one I should pick?
1. Adler
2 .Leoneck
3. Limmatblick
4. Scheuble
5 .Leonard (Leanhard?)
6 .Limmathof

Thanks!
Mar 6th, 2003, 08:51 AM

I live in the old town of Zurich. The main problem with hotels in the old city is noise. If you are going to be there on a Friday or Saturday night when it is still warm and windows are open bear this in mind. The Limmatblick and Limmathof are on the main street along the river, and may be noisy from cars, pedestrians, trams and bars. The same will probably be true of the Adler, which is on a pedestrian-only side street but is in the heart of the outdoor cafes. The Scheuble would probably be OK as it is on a quieter side street and there not many outdoor cafes near it.

If you are not going to be there on a Friday or Saturday night, or will be there after mid-October then any of these would be fine, as noise is not an issue. I would think the Scheuble would have a little more charm because it is not right on the main street. However the Limmatblich and Limmathof would have the river views, so its really up to you. I don't know the Leonard, but from the map it might not be a bad choice as it out of the Neiderdorf main bar area.

The airport is only about 10 minute drive from the center of Zurich, so if you want to stay at an airport hotel that has a shuttle to the main train station in Zurich that might not actually be a bad choice. The train from the airport to the center of town also takes about 10 minutes.
Mar 6th, 2003, 09:18 AM

I have booked a room in May at the Alexander Guest house for 100 euro. Check in is at the Alexander Hotel. It looked like a good location on the map and seemed like a good basic room. Does anyone know much about it?
Mar 6th, 2003, 09:22 AM

I am a Zurich resident too.
Cicerone, living in the Enge, not far from you!

Anway, I keep recommending the Hotel Scheuble***, mainly because it has been totally refurbished (cool Italian design) and is located on a pretty quiet street. Price is right as well.
Everybody I sent there, was happy.
www.scheuble.ch

Limmatblick, Limmathof and Leonard are on a noisy street (Limmatquai). I'd avoid them. Besides, they look a bit worn out.

The Adler is nice, but located on a very busy square (Hirschenplatz). Day and night pedestrians who can be loud.
But I recommend the Adler's restaurant. Very good cheese dishes.

For location and quiet nights, the Scheuble is best. You'll walk to the train station in less than 10 minutes.
Mar 6th, 2003, 09:28 AM

Alexander's Guesthouse** is in the middle of all, i.e. on the Niederdorfstrasse.
Very busy day and night.
For my personal taste, it would be too busy. But then, I like to stay in quiet neighbourhood in any city.
But it's ok. You can walk to any place from there. Safe as well despite some bars and tons of people hanging out.
The Niederdorf used to be Zurich's red light district and had a very bad reputation some 20 years ago. Now, all that is elsewhere, far away from the Niederdorf.
You'll be ok, cls2paris!
Mar 6th, 2003, 10:24 AM

Hi,
I have just returned from a 3 night stay at the Scheuble and was extremely happy with the accomodation, check out expedia for rates.
A buffet breakfast is included in the rates, the rooms were very clean and modern and very comfortable. There is a flower shop located in the hotel so every morning the flowers are put outside and it is a very welcoming sight. I too did research on this site and the Sceuble is very good value and in an excellent location .
Angie
Mar 6th, 2003, 01:46 PM

Scheuble looks very nice on the website.... it is over my spending limit, though... I've reserved at the Leoneck, which web comments have noted as being clean and serviceable - most of unfavorable comments were due to the 'cow' theme, so now I'm intrigued!
Mar 6th, 2003, 02:59 PM

Thanks, Ursula! I look forward to my visit. I'm only there the first night I arrive and I presume I will be out like a light by 8pm and not hear any noise!
Mar 6th, 2003, 10:49 PM

Travelnut,
The 'cow theme' at the Leoneck is sort of gag. To attract tourists, maybe. They made a lot of publicity some time ago. Lots of restaurants go with themes these days. They must invent something to get the attention of the people.
I don't think, there will be cows in the rooms. So, nothing to be intrigued about. ;o)
I never visit their restaurant, but I hear it can be fun, with kids or so. Lots of typical Swiss dishes.
It's as well on a busier street, but not too bad. It's a pretty steep walk from the Central. But manageable, and then, there is always the tram.

Cindy, I bet, if you're flying in from the US.
Mar 7th, 2003, 01:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Ursula! I think I will book the Scheuble. I showed my husband the room photos on their website and he agreed it looks pretty cool. It's more money than I wanted to spend but, hey, it's the last night of our 25th anniversary trip! We'll just eat a cheaper dinner!
Mar 7th, 2003, 07:06 PM

I ALWAYS take some earplugs with me on vacation. You never know when you will need them, especially if you travel in the warmer months and need to have the windows open. They won't block out all the noise, but usually will cut it down enough to where I can go to sleep. An alternative would be a walkman, etc., with a headset.

Search this Thread