Reload this Page >

Hotel Opera, Zurich and Other Hotel Possibilities

Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
Is anyone familiar with the Hotel Opera in Zurich, and if so, can you please share any feedback you might have?

I am looking for a hotel that is pretty centally located and in walking distanc to shopping, sights, the lake, etc. Like to keep it in the $280-$320 dollar range. Specifics needs are a double,non-smoking room. I am looking for a kind of quiet, cozy-style hotel. Any suggestions would be most apprecited. Thank you. (Cicerone, if you are reading this, do you have any suggestions? I've read so many good posts from you re: Zurich!)
Thanks again!
Old Feb 28th, 2007, 03:26 PM
Original Poster

Hi Fodorites--has anyone heard of, been to or seen the Hotel Opera (Old Town, Zurich)? Cicerone, have you heard of it? Any feedback would be most apprecited. Thank you!
Old Feb 28th, 2007, 05:35 PM

I know the hotel for its good restaurant, and have only seen the lobby which is charming, and I think the location is quite good. It’s right behind the Opera House and quite near the lake. It’s not in the old town, but just a few blocks from it, and there are some other good restaurants near it. I think it would be quiet at night (a consideration, not sure if it has air conditioning). I think it would be a good choice, have you looked on tripadvisor.com for reviews?

If you pick this hotel and are taking the train from the airport or another location, please use the Zurich Stadelhofen train station and NOT the main train station in Zurich (Hautbanhof), as the Stadelhofen train station will be about a 3 minute walk. I can give you directions if you end up choosing this hotel.
Old Feb 28th, 2007, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

Cicerone, Thanks so much for your reply. I did check tripadvisor, and the reviews seemed favorable, but I always like to check with people posting on Fodor's site, too.

I also wanted to get some feedback because Hotel Opera is a bit more costly than other hotels I have considered. But the real reason I am almost 99% set on taking it is because it is one of the few hotels that have interconnected rooms. I contacted about a dozen hotels inthe Old Town area, and only two came back to me with interconnected rooms--The Hotel Opera and the the Hotel Adler. I would consider the Hotel Adler because it is almost half the price, BUT, I keep reading that the area is quite noisy. We were looking for a quieter area because we prefer it, but more importantly, because we will have our 2 year old son with us, and making sure he sleeps is definitley a priority (especially at night.)
Is the Adler really as "noisy" as I keep reading about? And would the Horel Opera be a better choice given my concerns?

Can you please send directions from the train station as I am sure we will choose the Hotel Opera, unless you tell me I am wrong about the Adler. Thank you so much for your time!

Also, are many Zurich restaurants child-friendly? We have found that in our travels through Europe with our son, most restaurants have been. I am sure Zurich is no different, but just like to be prepared. Thanks.
Old Feb 28th, 2007, 07:57 PM

I used to live in the old town on Kirchgasse and I did not have airconditioning and in the summer, I found it quite noisy on weekend nights. I lived on the 4th floor and the noise carried considerably even to that height (cobbestones are great conductors of noise I found). The Adler faces a major square with several bars and restaurants on the square and many others in the neighborhood. You can request, but may not get, a side street room which may be quieter. There are a few rooms with balconies on the first and second floor which directly front the square and are above the Adler’s own resaurant which I think would be quite noisy. However, if (i) you are not there in the summer which is roughly late May to early September, (ii) you are not there on Thursday through Saturday night OR a public holiday eve, or (iii) the Adler has air conditioning (which I don’t think it does), then I think noise levels would be OK at the Adler which certainly is right in a very charming part of the old town with the cobblestone streets and no cars. I think I would avoid the front lower floor balcony rooms in any event for noise issues. The other advantage to the Hotel Opera is that is is much nearer to the lake and the promenade along the lake which your son may enjoy more (there are swans, ducks, etc). It is also a much shorter walk to the ferry pier, and is quite near the Bellevue tram stop which is a major tram intersection.

I have never taken a child that young to a restaurant, but can’t imagine you would find any of them not welcoming.

Zurich has an excellent zoo if I have not mentioned that on my previous posts, and taking the tram to it is a lot of fun for kids too.

There are many trains from the airport to Stadelhofen that do not require any changes, take a look at rail.ch for schedules. If you are coming from elsewhere in Switzerland or Europe, it may also be that your train may stop in Stedlhofen as well, just check the schedule and click on “show intermediate stops” or enter Stadelhofen as your end point rather than Zurich HB. However, if you have to change trains at the Hautbahnhof to get to the Stadelhofen train station, and if you have a lot of baggage, this might be more trouble than it is worth for the five minute ride between stations. In that case, you could take a taxi from the Hautbahnhof train station to the hotel, this would take about 5 minutes and would cost about something between US$15-20.

To get to your hotel from the Stadelhofen train station: Assuming you are coming from the airport, when you get off the train, you will be on the street level but will be on the opposite side of the tracks from where you need to be to get to the hotel. Take the pedestrian walkway down and under the train tracks, after the underpass, you will have a choice of going to the right up a long flight of stairs, or to the left up an escalator or long flight of stairs, signs may say “Track 1/Gleis 1”. Either way will take you up to the street level. Once you on the street level, with the tracks at your back, walk toward the street. You will come into a large open plaza surrounded on three sides by buildings and open on the far opposite side where the lake is. There are trams around this plaza and you may see a fountain in the middle. Cross the street where the staion is and walk along the buildings on the left side of the plaza along Goethestrasse. You will come to a broad street with trams running on it (Seefeldstrasse), you may see the great white Opera House in front of you to the left. Cross Seefeldstrasse (and the tram tracks) and turn left down Seefeldstrasse. Walk down Seefeldstrasse and cross one street (Falkengasse) and then take the next right onto Seehofstrasse. Walk about 100 yards to the intersection with Dufourstrasse, the hotel on the right on the the corner of Dufourstrasse and Seehofstrasse. Sounds complicated, but it is not, and should take you literally 5 minutes to do the walk. If you get lost, just stop and ask someone, the level of English in Zurich is excellent.

The hotel may participate in the shuttle bus service from the airprot which would also be convenient, check with them.
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 07:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of your input, Cicerone. I look forward to seeing Zurich! Are the weather forecasts I am reading correct--is it really in the low 50's during the day? Sounds like nice weather if it is!
Also, can you please suggest any day trips (other than Lucerne) from Zuirch? Thank you!
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 08:39 PM

When is your trip? That would make a difference in my reccos.