Search

zurich hotels

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2004, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
zurich hotels

Hi,

I'm bringing my family to a reunion in Riet this June. We'll be flying into Zurich and I'd like to stay for one night in Zurich at both ends of the trip. I haven't been in years but I remember that the lake is beautiful. should I pick a hotel by the lake? Or is there another area I should consider? I've two kids, 10 and 12. we'll be zonked from the flight our first night and after the reunion may be on family overload. So I'm hoping to find someplace that will rejuvenate us in both cases! Some place lively (Riet is gorgeous but decidedly quiet) but not loud, and we like great staff and rooms. Or any other suggestions are most appreciated! My husband and son will be looking for watches and knives...my daughter and I will probably be happy people watching from a cafe near the trendy boutiques!

Thanks,
Monica
Old May 18th, 2004, 05:39 PM
Original Poster

Me again - the St. Gotthard was recommended, has anyone stayed there? I went on their web site and it looks good but I'm not so sure about the location - near the business area and train station? hmmm
Old May 19th, 2004, 01:48 AM

I live in Zurich, and there aren't any hotels on the lake. The closest you can get is the Baur au Lac, which does have a lovely spot right across the street from the lake, but it is quite expensive. Another option would be the Steigenberger , which is also across a street from the lake, but that street is quite a busy road and it could be noisy

The St Gotthard has a very good location for sightseeing, restaurants and shops (but no lake views). Dont' be mislead by its location "near the business district." It is in the heart of the main shopping area, which also is one of the main business areas (but no skyscapers here, and the street is pedestrian and tram only, no cars.) Also, as you may recall, Zurich is very small, so being near the train station is not a disadvantage, as you can walk to the lake in about 10 minutes and you are about 2 blocks from one of the main old town areas.

One thing to remember is that most hotels do not have air-conditioning and in summer the city is quite lively until quite late. It is not dark until 10 pm or so, and people are in a holiday mood all summer. Street traffice, foot traffic and nearby bars or restaurants can be very noisy. If your hotel does not have air-conditioning, ask for a room on an interior courtyard or a side street if possible. In addition to noise, the last two summers here have been really hot (over 90 degrees for 3 months or so), so air-con would be a nice luxury (wish I had it!)

Together with the Baur au Law and the Steigenberger, other recommended hotels would be:

1. Baur au Lac
Talstrasse 1
8001 Zurich - Switzerland
Telephone: +41 1 220 50 20
Fax: +41 1 220 50 44
bauraulac.ch

THE hotel in Zurich with prices to match, great views of the lake and Alps.

2. Savoy Baur en Ville
Paradeplatz
CH-8022 Zurich
Switzerland
Tel. ++41 (0)1 215 25 25
Fax ++41 (0)1 215 25 00
savoy-baurenville.ch

Another luxury hotel in the heart of the city. Good location for business, shopping and restaurants.

3. Widder Hotel
Rennweg 7
CH-8001 Zürich
Switzerland
Telephone +41 1 224 25 26
Telefax +41 1 224 24 24
http://www.hotelwidder.ch

3 or 4 star. Fashion-forward hotel in a charming, mainly pedestrian area also with bars and restaurants.

4. Hotel Zum Storchen
Am Weinplatz
Zurich, Switzerland, 8022
Tel: 41 1 227 2727
Fax: 41 1 227 2700
http://www.summithotels.com

This is probably my favourite hotel in Zurich because I love its location (right on the river in the old town, good Alp views on a clear day) and charm. This would be quiet at night due to their river location and that they are in a car-free area. They have a lovely outdoor terrace for meals, and their restaurant is one of the best in town.

This is owned by the same group which owns the St Gotthard.

5. Central Plaza
Central 1
8001 Zürich
Phone: +41 (0)44 256 56 56
Fax: +41 (0)44 256 56 57
Room Reservations: +41 (0)44 256 56 55
www.central.ch

3 or 4 star. Very nice hotel on the river in a great location for sightseeing, shopping restaurants and business in Zurich. My only comment is that it faces one of the major tram intersections in Zurich, as well as a bridge and a generally busy street. This may be a noise issue, especially in the warmer months. Of course, this is Zurich so "traffic" is a relative term. You might want to ask for a high floor, or a courtyard. If there is air conditioning then the noise would be reduced considerably.

6. Steigenberger Bellerive au Lac
Utoquai 47
8008 Zürich
Phone: +41 (0) 1 / 2 54 40-00
Fax: +41 (0) 1 / 2 54 40-01
www.zuerich.steigenberger.ch

Nice hotel in a good location near the lake, a little bit out of the old town, but certainly walkable from there. Some of the rooms have balconies. If you choose this hotel, ask for a room on as high a floor as available, or on a side street room to avoid the busy street which fronts the hotel (of course no views from side street rooms.

7. Hotel Helmhaus
Schifflände 30
8001 Zürich
tel: 41-1 251 88 10
fax: 41-1 251-0403
http://www.helmhaus.ch

4 star in the Neiderdorf/Oberdorf area. They definitely have air-conditioning. A very good location for sightseeing, shopping and eating. More modest than any of the above hotels.

8. HOTEL Adler
Hirschenplatz
Tel: (01) 266 9696. Fax: (01) 266 9669.
E-mail: [email protected]

In the Neiderdorf area, an area of charming cobblestone streets which is car ?free. This hotel gets generally good reviews here, although noise is cited as a problem.

9. Hotel Seefeld Seefeldstrasse 63
8008 Zurich
41-1-387-4141
41-1-837-4151
http://www.hotel-seefeld.che 63
[email protected]

3-star, built last year. They have a roof terrace. It is in a nice neighbourhood of restaurants and some interesting shops, and is about 2 blocks from the lake. The Seefeld area would be a bit quieter at night than the Neiderdorf/Oberdorf areas. It is on a tram line and so is convenient. They don't have air-conditioning but have a "cool Air" system that some new buildings have here which circulates fresh air, not really the same as AC, but unless it is really hot, then no AC is no really an issues.

10. The Hotel Kindli
Pfalzgasse 1
8001 Zürich
tel: +41 (0)43 888 76 76
fax: +41 (0)43 888 76 77
http://www.kindli.ch

3 or 4 star. I don't know it personally, but it gets generally good reviews on the fodors.com site, and seems to have good prices. It is probably the most charming of the hotels mentioned here. It is in a very nice part of the old town. It might be worth a look.

11. Hotel Schweizerhof
Bahnhofplatz 7
8023 Zurich
Tel 41 1 218 88 88
Fax 41 1 218 81 81
hotelschweizerhof.com

3 or 4 star. Very conveniently located across the street from the main train station.

I would also note that the Park Hyatt is scheduled to open here in June or July. This is not in an interesting pr charming neighbourhood, IMO, but it will be the newest and nicest hotel in Zurich (very modern design and I believe the rooms are somewhat minimalist in decor). I mention it because it is possible they may be offering good discount rates to build their business. It is about 2 blocks from the lake. It might be worth a call to Hyatt to determine if they have a solid opening date.

I am not a fan of the Dolder Grand as it is inconveniently located on a hill outside of town, but does have superb lake views from its high hillside location. I am not sure they have air conditioning. I believe many of the rooms need a redo. Take a look at http://www.doldergrand.ch

There are one or two hotels on the lake outside of Zurich, but these would be about 20-30 by train and I am not sure they are worth it for one night. They are in small towns that have very little or nothing at night nearby (as opposed to Zurich which has a ton of restaurants open late, esp. in summer).
Old May 19th, 2004, 02:36 AM

Just read the rest of your posting about watches and knives. Switzerland is very expensive, so do a lot of shopping at home and compare prices before you commit to a watch, and actually the same with knives. It may be cheaper to buy both in the US, esp given the poor US Dollar - Swiss Franc exchange rate. Be sure to get a VAT refund if you buy an expensive item. Also, it should go without saying, but don't pack that nice new Swiss army knife in your carry-on luggage going home, or it will be taken at security in Zurich. . .Bear in mind that you may have to pay US customs duty on your purchases. Take a look at the guide put together by the US Customs Services at customs.ustreas.gov/travel.

Also, with hotels, do ask about room size, as rooms are small here and in Europe generally. I am not sure if the 4 of you are planning to be in the same room, if so, you will want a minimum of 35 square meters, and even that will be tight. For two people anything between 20- 25 square meters is compact byt livable, but anything less than 20 square meters is really small.
Old May 19th, 2004, 05:37 AM

Good morning, can vouch for the KINDLI
have used about eight times since 1987,
is a small hotel in a quiet area and about a block off the Bahnhofstrasse
and Annahof and Gemoli. One place nt to miss with the kids is Franz Carl Weber at Bahnhofstrase, 62. s multi=floored toy store....
Richard of LaGrange Park, Il..