Honeymoon in Paris & Rome

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12th, 2005, 05:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a trip for September 2005. We arrive in Paris on September 6, plan to take a train to Rome September 9th or 10th, go on a Mediterranean 7 night cruise from Civitavecchia (September 11 to 18), spend three days in Rome and leave on September 21.

1. We are looking for nice and innexpensive hotels in Paris and Rome

2. What are the overnight train options between Paris and Rome?

3. Is it worth it to spend a night in Civitavecchia? How expensive are the hotels there? Are there any nice beaches? Things to see?

4. Any tips/ideas for sightseeing and dining in Paris and Rome?

5. To which city should we allocate more time to? i.e. should we leave Paris on the 9th or the 10th?

Any information would be much appreciated.

Thank you.
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 06:12 PM

Well, I think we need to know how you would define inexpensive. To some people, under $100 is inexpensive; to others, under $200 is inexpensive. If you give us a little more info, perhaps we can help.

There's a Superthread on Paris (I'm not sure if there's one on Rome or not) where you will find all sorts of ideas. Just do a search for "Paris Superthread".
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 06:39 PM

To answer #5...If I were in your place, I would stay in Paris until the 10th. If your honeymoon is right after your wedding, you'll need the recovery time. (At least that's what they tell me; I'll know soon enough as our own wedding/ honeymoon are quickly approaching.)

I always find the first day in a new city after a trans-Atlantic flight to be rather "light"...a time to get to the hotel, get one's bearings, explore a little, have a nice dinner, etc.

There's already a ton of info posted on things to do/see, eat, etc. in Paris and Rome, so I agree with elle that it is a good idea to check into the superthreads.

Good luck planning!
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 09:27 PM
tod

diana14 - You may like to go to Venere.com and look up these hotels which are 3 star Superior & 2 Star:
On arrival in Paris I am checking into HOTEL BELMONT in the 16e(edge 8e) for 4 nights.
Supposedly only 100 yards from Champs-Elysees. My metro stop will be GeorgeV.
The hotel just took my fancy, no other reason.
I have booked in the 7e:
HOTEL DUQUESNE for three nights and requested a superior room with good view of Eiffel Tower. It's near a Metro
(Ecole Milit.) & rue Cler.
Then move to 6e HOTEL CLEMENT in rue Clement of Blvd.St.Germaine. Metro Mabillon very convenient. Lots of cafe's, near Notre Dame etc.etc.
Other choices may have been:
Hotel Jardin Le Cluny - Full upon my request.
Hotel de l'Ocean - Looks very nice & is in the 9e. Two very convenient metro stops near.
Good luck with your hotel hunt.
Old Apr 19th, 2005, 02:31 PM

Diana14:

Looks like we are on the same cruise as you (Costa Magica on Sept 11) ...and we will also on be on our honeymoon at the time!

I would not leave Paris until the 10th. You just won't want to leave once you get there. It is the best vacation city I have ever been to (and I once lived there). There is an unending list of things to see and do, and it is also a great city for simply "hanging out" and doing nothing. Rome is probably the next best city in the world for sightseeing and just hanging out, so you will have a great trip. I would look for a train that leaves in the evening and gets to Civitivecchia in the daytime. That way you don't really waste a day.

We are really looking forward to this trip on the Magica, the itinerary looks great. It will be my first cruise (my bride's 2nd) so I am hoping to eat and drink to excess for a week. Hopefully we will see you on the ship.
Old Apr 19th, 2005, 09:56 PM

Suggestions -

In Rome, some of the nicest, least expensive hotels you could find would be church-run hotels. (Villa Bassi, in Monteverde Vecchio, is one). They vary in their "church"-ness; I've stayed in one indistinguishable from a normal hotel and one run by nuns in habits. Villa Bassi is of the former kind. It's a bit out of the way though, on top of a very pretty hill, but very nice and the rest of Rome is accessible by bus or bike.)

As for bikes - suggestion number two. There is nothing more romantic in either city than a long, beautiful bike ride through the city. I live in Rome, and bike every day in good weather.

In Paris, biking is very common; there are even bike paths. I'd recommend a bike rental place on Rue Fer au Moulin in the 5th arrondissement - start from there and go through the Luxembourg areas, then through Champs-Elysees to Park Monceau, then up to Montmartre. One can have a great meal there in "Le Basilic," a nice fish-based restaurant on Place des Abbesses. I'd recommend biking down through the 9th arrondissement, and, if you're up to it, visit Pere-Lachaise cemetary in Belleville. Other nice things to do in Paris are - have the Mont Blanc at Angelina's, on Rue de Rivoli, have a picnic on the banks of the Seine, go to the Musee Rodin and sit in the garden, and eat at Allard, which is near Rue St-Andre-des-Artes.

As for Rome -
A great bike route would begin at a bike rental place on the non-Navona side of Corso Vittorio Emanuele, near Largo della Moretta. I'd recommend biking through Trastevere, then going up Via Garibaldi to the Monteverde Vecchio area, where you can either have a lovely lunch at "Scarpone" a restaurant with a garden, or have a picnic in the Villa Pamphilli. Garibaldi continues, too, going through the Gianicolo hill with a nice panorama. From there, you can proceed to St. Peter's (very nearby) and if you don't mind going quickly through Prati, a shopping/residential neighborhood that, while not beautiful, has a certain 19th-century charm, you can find your way across the bridge of the Tiber River through to Piazza dell Popolo, from there to the Spanish Steps, from there to the Pantheon, Piazza Navona, and finally, back to the bike rental place, having seen a great deal of monuments. Biking is harder here, though; watch for traffic!

Other nice things to go/do in Rome - go rowboating in Villa Borghese, go to the Catacombs and eat lunch at a nice garden restaurant near there, the orange gardens on Santa Sabina on the Aventine hill, and more.

I'd recommend more time in Paris; it is much larger and there is more to do. I can see nearly everything in Rome in a day by bike (as detailed above.) But really, it's a matter of personal preference. Paris is more elegant/formal, Rome more warm/joyful. Both are equally romantic.
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 04:38 AM
ira

Dear diana,

Since the main part of your honeymoon seems to be the cruise, may I suggest that you leave Paris for another visit?

Why go through the bother of packing/unpacking and traveling to Rome for only 3 nights in Paris?