weekend in oslo

May 23rd, 2010, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

weekend in oslo

My wife and I will be in Oslo for 2+ days in July. We will be there over a weekend. We will arrive on Friday evening and leave on Monday morning.

After studying all the possibilities, I have come to the conclusion that we should split our main activities between the 2 full days we have like this - one visiting Bygdoy and a few museums and the other touring Oslo.

What I am wondering is which day for which activity? From my checks, I think most of the museums are open on Sunday, and I don't know if it's worth touring the city on Sunday. My guess is the best bet is the city on Saturday and Bygdoy on Sunday, but I would be happy to hear from anyone with some practical advice.
We will be staying right in the center near the National Theatre.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
May 23rd, 2010, 08:33 PM
Original Poster

ttt
May 23rd, 2010, 09:21 PM

You do plan to see the Vigeland Sculpture Park I hope It won't matter what day. It's a don't miss I think
May 24th, 2010, 01:12 AM
Original Poster

Yes. Vigeland is on our must see list.
May 24th, 2010, 03:47 AM

oh i do hope you love vigeland as much as i did
it rained but i couldve happily puddled about for much longer

on bygdoy go see the war resistance museum

have a nice wander round the oslo harbour...it was an interesting people watching experience back in june last year

we loved oslo...wish we couldve extended our stay
May 24th, 2010, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Is Vigeland open all day as long as there is light??
May 24th, 2010, 12:46 PM

Yes, we visited Vigeland very early one morning and shared the park with just a few joggers and many pigeons.

Are you interested in the shopping district and the crowds, street performers, etc. Then you would want to stay in the city on Saturday. Otherwise, the area around the park and the pedestrian streets will be quieter on Sunday.

Is the ferry schedule similar for Saturday and Sunday? A nice trip across the water.
Are there any events scheduled for one day but not the other at the folk museum or at the fortress?
Is City Hall open both days?
The castle is open shorter hours on Sunday.

These are the only considerations I can think of.
May 25th, 2010, 08:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all.

I think we will tour the city on Saturday and visit Bygdoy and the museums on Sunday, weather permitting of course.
Jun 8th, 2010, 04:33 AM

Shopping, cafés etc on Saturday would be more interesting, local and colourful in upscale Bogstadveien/Hegdehaugsveien or in bohemian Grünerløkka district than in the city center itself. Bogstadveien is just behind the castle from the National theater (and close to the Vigeland park), and the tram take you from the National Theater to Grünerløkka in 10-15 minutes.

For lunch, I would also recommend the traditional and delicious open air sandwiches (smørbrød) at either Theatercaféen or Grand Café, both close to the National Theater.
http://www.theatercafeen.no/i/restau...féen.aspx
http://www.grand.no/en/Restaurants--Bars/Grand-Cafe/

When at Bygdøy, why not have lunch in the sea/seafront at Lille Herber'n? One min by boat that leaves every five min:
http://www.sult.no/englishinformation.cfm
Jun 17th, 2010, 03:55 AM

Shops are closed on Sundays so do Bygdøy on Sunday and tour the city itself on Saturday. If the weather is good, you may want to get on a boat to the islands in the Oslofjord. It is included in the tram/bus travelpass. Ask at the hotel for details about where the boat departs from.

The new opera house is worth seeing, Vigeland´s sculptures are great.

For eating out - try local neighborhood restaurants at Grunerløkka or Frogner. Enjoy your trip.
Don´t be afraid to approach Norwegians. We may be a bit shy and not to good at approaching strangers, but we are actually quite friendly Enjoy your trip.
Jun 24th, 2010, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone.
Jun 25th, 2010, 09:23 PM
Original Poster

MALAMEA:

For a Sunday lunch, do you think we will need a reservation for the restaurant on Lille Herbern? Does the restaurant have a name? Is there more than one restaurant?
Jun 28th, 2010, 01:54 AM

The restaurant is called Lille Herbern (as the small island itself). You will most likely not need a reservation, but you might want to call to make sure that they are open for lunch (weather dependent, tel 67109970). Opening hours are normally 12h-22h.
http://www.sult.no/englishinformation.cfm