Search

Week in London

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2013, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Week in London

We are traveling to London for a week mid March - myself , 17 and 20 year old children - we get in Sat. Am about 9 am and leave the next Sat pm about 8:30 pm - ideas and any trip details would be appreciated. We are staying in the Bloomsbury area. thanks!
Old Feb 11th, 2013, 09:26 AM

You might get some more useful answers if you gave us an idea of what you all enjoy and what you already have planned.
Old Feb 11th, 2013, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

I have been searching the site for the must sees and have several written down - trying to figure out how to group things to make the most of our time. We have never been to london before so we are open to all suggestions.

I am thinking of doing one day trip to Bath and Stonehedge
Old Feb 11th, 2013, 09:45 AM

First, get a map of the city with sights listed

Second, get a map of the tube

Study both so you get a feel for where things are and how long it takes to get from place to place (London is a large city and sights are spread out all over)

Bloomsbury is fairly central - but what tube station are you near - that is key!
Old Feb 11th, 2013, 11:44 AM

Use the Transport for London visitor guide - they have a bus map in it which plots the main attractions in relation to public transport:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/15101.aspx
Old Feb 11th, 2013, 02:03 PM

Londontown.com - has walking self-tour itineraries that will help you group activities together. Go to the daysoutguide.co.uk and get seven-day PAPER travelcards for the discounts.
Old Feb 11th, 2013, 09:41 PM

Have a look at our two trips spanning 11 nights and see if that helps. You'll have your personal preferences, but some of our favorites were Tower of London, British Museum, Westminster Abbey, and St. Paul's. Greenwich was a pleasant surprise and another favorite of ours.

Splurge for a show or two as well.

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...andparents.cfm

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-with-kids.cfm
Old Feb 12th, 2013, 07:30 AM

"I am thinking of doing one day trip to Bath and Stonehedge"

Where is this StoneheDge I keep reading about......
Old Feb 12th, 2013, 10:08 AM

I think a stone hedge is also called a wall . . .

<<some of our favorites were Tower of London, British Museum, Westminster Abbey, and St. Paul's . . .>>

Well, indydad has hit on perhaps the four biggest attractions in London that don't rotate vertically.

Cheese dude, if you've "been searching the site for the must sees and have several written down" then say what they are and you can get more help. If you're going to be in Bloomsbury, you should be thisclose to the British Museum.
Old Feb 12th, 2013, 10:38 AM

"I think a stone hedge is also called a wall . . ."

Very droll.
Old Feb 19th, 2013, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the tips - patricklondon great site for helping me group things, indy_dad, really liked your trip reports ! Getting very excited - only a couple of weeks away now ~ (nytraveler - got my maps now also)
Old Feb 19th, 2013, 07:43 AM

You could spend a week or month in London, some here will tell you, but consider getting out of town. London has a lot to offer, but is exhausting and expensive. And it can be difficult to find the "quaint" that many tourists want. So, enjoy London, but break it up. Go to Bath (for example) for a couple days, take the Mad Max tour or other from there to see Stonehenge and some cotswolds towns.

In London, step into pubs for good grub and a hint of quaint. Take some guided London Walks, particularly in the evening after your tourist creativity/energy has waned.

If this is your first trip, make a point of noting the parts of London you see, if even just to pop up from the tube. So much literature and pop culture reference parts of London, so it is fun to have some bearings upon return.