Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Going to London---More Info needed!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 09:04 AM

Hi All:<BR>Ok Trip is booked, $331. RT on United<BR>Hotel is booked. Park Lane Sheraton<BR>Tickets to Phantom of the Opera ordered.<BR>Now I am overwhelmed....<BR>So much to see in 6 days. I have read so much here for suggestions. I know nothing about the neighborhoods of London So...I am looking for a pocket map of the tube and buses and one or two excellent guide books.<BR>Can you help, please?

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 09:23 AM
K

I've just returned from a week in London this morning. I actually did a lot of research within this forum and benefitted more from advice here than any guide book. I would suggest you do searches on particular topics that interest you.<BR><BR>I went to Phantom of the Opera as well at Her Majesty's theatre. The performance was excellent. If you want to have dinner near there beforehand, I would suggest you research the restaurants in the area and make a reservation in advance.<BR><BR>I did a lot in London and nothing disappointed me. It's fairly easy to get around on the Underground - just take your time and read the signs. Everyone else around you will be rushing around, but you don't need to. It helps tremendously to look at your Tube map in advance and now what direction you need to go on a particular line - East, West, etc. That's how the platform signage is formatted at most of the stations.<BR><BR>I would also recommend the walking tours given by London Walks - www.walks.com I did the Along the Thames Pub Walk and wished I had had time for others.<BR><BR>Hope your trip is fabulous.<BR><BR><BR>

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 09:33 AM
wes fowler

Newbie,<BR>For a pocket guide to London, including detailed street maps with key sights identified get the AZ Visitors' London Atlas and Guide. It has a tube map, brief descriptions of all tourist attractions and the nearest tube stops, recommended walking tours, truly a wealth of information in concise, pocket sized format.<BR><BR>Once in London, ask at any tube station for the free Central London bus guide (Westminster City and West End) It lists all major bus routes, its map shows major sites along the routes. Detailed maps of Piccadilly and Oxford Circuses, Baker Street and Trafalgar Square indicate on which street corners to pick up various bus routes. A separate map is devoted to night bus routes. This is an invaluable aid to the tourist.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 09:39 AM
bettyk

We are going to London next month. I have also done much research and have our itinerary pretty well set based on our preferences. You really do need to get a good map of London that shows the major attractions, museums, etc. Then you will see that certain sights are located in the same general area; i.e., Westminster Abbey, London Eye, Parliament, etc. Plan on a day a trip to either Hampton Court, Windsor Castle or Kew Gardens depending on your tastes as all are worth your time and it is nice getting outside of the city for awhile. If you have access to a color printer, you can print your own tube maps, etc., from the following website (it is mine much larger than those tiny ones that come in most guidebooks!): http://www.thetube.com/content/tubemap/.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 09:41 AM
wes fowler

Failed to recommend a guidebook. Look for the Dorling Kingsley (DK Publishing) Eyewitness Travel Guide to London, one of the best guides available. If you're only going for six days or so, visit your library and simply check out those guides that appeal to you most.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 10:28 AM
Sara

I agree the Eyewitness book on London is just amazing, it has some planned walks which are very good as well as info on everywhere you will want to go. I always find it is great to look at after you have come home as it has so many great little pictures which remind you of place you visited. <BR>If it is a clear day Primrose Hill (its part of a walk in the Eyewitness book) is fabulous, you walk up the hill (not looking behind you) and when you turn around at the top the whole of London is stretched out before you!<BR>The London walks already mentioned are well worth the effort, they have so many to choose from, Jack the Ripper is particularly good - but you need a good imagination! <BR>Enjoy you trip London is the best.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 03:06 PM

<BR>Thanks everyone! I really appreciate it! Keep it coming.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 04:02 PM
rb

I think that Berlitz pocket guide of London is very good-has good map and gives a good history overview and site overview- plus it's small and fits easily in coat pocket or purse. Also Frommers portable London guide. You can get good booklets from the British Tourist Agency, too. We were in London last week for nine days. You can read my itinerary...just look up "back from London" and it will be posted (4/7/02). Park Lane Sheraton is an excellent location. We loved Somerset House, British Museum, Westminster Abbey, Tower of London, Hampton Court (awesome), day trip to Bath (awesome), and venturing around the city. Do the open bus tour your first day for good intro to city...highly recommended on this site...do not go to the London Dungeon...Hope you have a good trip and good weather.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 04:33 PM
kate

My favorite guide books are Access.They give you the run down on everything by neighborhoods.Reviews on hotels and restos really pretty on target.<BR>And they are easy to read<BR>You should sit down and make out a list of all the things you MUST see then break those down into what neighborhoods they are in, then take a neighborhood or two a day.You will still need to go back again, London always makes me go back! Enjoy your trip~

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 07:14 PM
Mel

I have several books on London, but the one I've referred back to and loaned out most often is a slim paperback by Frommer's called "What to do in London When You Can't Stay Long." It gives great, brief descriptions of restaurants, theatres, clubs, stores, markets, etc. with tube stops, directions--just everything. <BR><BR>By the way, I scratch notes in the margins--starring places I really like, checks for those that aren't worth a look, notes about things to buy, etc. Friends have told me how helpful that is to them when they borrow the book. Also helps me if I forget whether I've tried a place before.

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 01:51 AM
Tracy

Hey newbie!<BR><BR>Check out:<BR><BR>http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/html/visitors/tourist/top_direct.html<BR><BR>Then you can use the top nav to get more in-depth and weekly listings.<BR><BR>HTH and have a great trip!

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 04:10 AM
Keith

Agree with the "this is london" website. Very useful even for Londoners.<BR><BR>You could also try www.timeout.co.uk for the London section.<BR><BR>Once you get here, try and buy either a copy of Time Out magazine, or, if you arrive on a Thursday, get the "Evening Standard" with the "Hot Tickets" section - they have theatre, cinema, museum, market, and other listings and I find it essential in figuring out what's going on - and I live here!

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 04:16 AM
elaine

I have a pretty extensive file on London which I'd be happy to send you if you email me

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 04:48 AM
beth anderson

hi, <BR><BR>two things I can chime in on, the above is fabulous too:<BR><BR>I saw a gent with a Dorling Kindersley laminated fold out map. If you don't want to carry the A-Z (it is invaluable though, so consider the smaller one) OR if you also like to be able to see where everything is, in reference to everything else - BUY THIS. <BR><BR>I actually like having both sorts of maps - the A-Z was great when I was trying to find someone's office, but day to day the fold out maps are nice - you get a better feel for walking distances. <BR><BR>also, take the tube when you are in a hurry, but the buses are so much more fun - try to hop a Routemaster & then climb the stairs for a good view of the city!<BR><BR>Beth

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 05:01 AM
regwootton

Don't underestimate the power of a double-decker bus tour! Whenever we have first-time guests (we have lived in London for 3 years) we always have them start out on a bus tour. It's great because it helps you familiarise yourself with London (although the Tube is very convenient, it can be very confusing to "pop up" from underground and the map is not drawn to scale, so in some cases 2 stops on different lines can be less than a block apart). I would recommend one of the lines that has live commentary, rather than a tape. You are allowed to get off at all major tourist destinations and then get back on again and you can buy a 24 hour ticket, so if you arrive on the morning flight, you can sightsee for a while, go back to your hotel and sleep and then start again the next day!

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 05:46 AM
elvira

If you want info on all London transportation, they have a website (with a printable underground and bus maps). I usually print from this site, then scribble all over the dang thing:<BR><BR>http://www.londontransport.co.uk/<BR><BR>I like the Let's Go guides for good descriptions and practical information, but I don't take guidebooks with me. I cull from a variety of sources before I go.

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 08:45 AM
marita

I vote for the Lonely Planet condensed pocket guide on London. I have ones for New York, paris and London. They are cheap, just have the essentials and come with great maps - and they are easy to carry with me while out for the day.<BR><BR>Elaine - please email the London file to me as well, if you don't mind (email above) Thanks <BR>Marita

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 12:50 PM
Amy

Definitely do one of the Walking Tours of London. The "Along the Thames Pub Crawl" was excellent - full of history, beautiful views and great bitters. My husband and I also did the "Jack the Ripper" tour and liked that as well! Have a great time!

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 01:47 PM
KenCT

Just have to jump in here. I'm leaving tomorrow (02/13) for my upteenth trip to London. Though I can't add anything to the above postings, I will agree with wes that the AZ maps are most necessary. I have one of the small ones so I can use it unobtrusively and not look like a tourist - not that there's anything wrong with that - until I open my mouth. <BR><BR>I also take the Access Guides - I like the way they divide the cities into sections, unlike most guides which list all museums, hotels, etc, in separate sectons. I love the DK guides and have them for places that I have visited and for those that I have not. But I don't take them with me because they give more detail than I want to carry around. I use them to plan beforehand and to remember afterwards.<BR><BR>I get one of the 7-day transit passes (passport-size photo needed) for unlimited on and off access to the busses and the tube. I would get one for a six day visit, too. It's "worth it" not to have to deal with making change. I ordinarily don't use busses because I'm too lazy to figure them out, but when completely lost in an outlying district, I'm not above getting on the first one I see and asking to be let off at the first tube stop. The Tube is remarkably easy to manage.

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 05:59 PM
Nancy

I used Streetwise Paris and thought it was the perfect map. There is a Streetwise London (which I didn't know about before I went to London). The maps are sold at Borders bookstore. I also took the Big Bus tour with live commentary a couple of times just to get overviews and it was great for hopping on/off. Tube maps are given away in the underground stations which you can compare to the Streetwise map. I used several guide books because I love the planning but I highly recommend Rick Steves London book. I know some think it's too basic but it's very useful for short time visitors and hits the highlights and then some.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -