Wedding/Honeymoon Itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13th, 2004, 04:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I am coming back for some more advice for my wedding and honeymoon trip to Italy next May. Basically, we are going to spend 3 weeks there (21 nights to be exact) and have come up with the following itinerary.

Rome - 4 nights
Pienza - 6 nights (where the wedding will be)
CT - 4 nights
Florence - 3 nights
Venice - 4 nights

I have a few questions:
1) Is CT going to be too crowded? Is it still a "romantic" place? An alternative will be to go to the Lakes after Venice. In that case, the initerary will be Rome-Pienza-Florence-Venice-Lakes. What are your thoughts? (We originally want to do Positano but we realized that it's not a good idea logiscally speaking).
2) We only want to drive when we are in Tuscany. Is our itinerary easy to do in terms of logistics?
3) While in Pienza, we want to do a few day trips but would not like to travel too much or have any fixed plans. In that case, do you think we are staying "too long" in Pienza? Should we cut one day and put it somewhere else?

I have been to Italy once and have visited Rome, Florence, Pisa and Venice. However, Fiance has never been there and for him, Venice is a dream (It's also a dream of mine to realize his dream!).

At this moment, we have not booked any air tickets, so we are pretty flexible in terms of where to fly into and out of.

As to what we want from this trip, it is obvious that it has to be romantic and easy going. We like to eat good food and gelato, to sit in cafes, to visit places when and only if we want to, to walk around and see small places.

I would appreciate your feedbacks and suggestions. Thanks.
Old Nov 13th, 2004, 06:26 AM

Wow--what a great honeymoon. What is not to like--it looks about perfect to me. The only real option would be to drop the CT and add Lake Como at the end of the trip--trading one water/scenic location for another. That means flying home from Milan. I would be tempted on that chamge. It makes sense to see Florence and venice back to back and then end at a romantic and serene location. Either way, this will be a fabulous trip.
Old Nov 13th, 2004, 03:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Bob. I am posting my message again with reference to Italy to make it clearer.

Can you give me some tips on the differences between CT and the Lakes? How about logistics from Venice to Lake Como or other lakes and then to Milan? We will reply on public transportation.

Old Nov 14th, 2004, 08:43 AM
ira

Hi Maxi,

I think 4 nights on the CT is 2 night too long. There are only 5 little towns, very close together.

Very beautiful if you like hiking.

I would add one night to Venice and one to Rome.
Old Nov 14th, 2004, 09:47 AM

i didn't find CT to be particularly romantic but instead found it very touristy...the tourism just seemed to crush the place of any local flavour. i also didn't find the food/restaurants to be very good as one would expect in italy.

that said, it is blessed with a great amount of natural beauty and the villages are physically very charming. i think it would be hard for someone to go to CT and not like it, however, my comments are just about CT as related to other places in italy (and europe) that i have visited.
Old Nov 14th, 2004, 10:03 AM
Melissajoy

Maxi, I agree with Ira that I would add 1 night to Venice and 1 night to Rome. We were in Venice for 3 nights and had a fantastic time, but there wasn't enough time to see the little islands or Burano and Murano...we could have gone over for free on the Vaporetto passes that we bought (72 hours for 22 euros, unlimited on and off privileges.) But we only had time to see Venice. I wish we could have had 5 total nights in Venice, enough time to see the little islands. Especially if you want a leisurely trip, consider adding a night to Venice.

We had 4 nights in Rome and really fell in love with Rome. We didn't want to leave! 5 or 6 nights in Rome would be better, but 4 is still good.

what a great honeymoon you have planned! consider this idea. I researched the least crowded times for each different site, and planned our days so that we would be at the museums/churches at the least crowded times. This gave us time to return to the hotel and rest before dinner. We didn't have to waste time standing in lines. We also made museum reservations wherever available, and I still made them at the least crowded times for a more enjoyable experience. This plan really works! You can get info on beating the crowds from guidebooks, including Rick Steves Italy, and from on-line travellers on various travel web-sites. Also your hotel can make museum reservations for you if you want...Our hotel in florence made museum reservations for us without charging us for this service.

I big hit in my family was the fact that I left the last day in each city entirely unplanned. I did my research and brought info with me but we didn't plan that day. by the last day in a town you will know exactly how you want to spend your time!

3 nights in florence is plenty of time. We found ourselves eager to leave florence as it was very very crowded when we were there in June during Pitti Uomo (an international fashion show) and Calcio Storico Fiorentino (local ball game/parade/fireworks.) 3 nights in florence isn't enough time to do all the museums...you would need a month for that...but 3 nights is definitely enough time to get the flavor of Florence.

After Florence I loved the more peaceful areas of Tuscany and the Chianti region...We spent a night in Siena and had a private half-day driving tour of the chianti region and I wish it was a week in siena instead of a night! Any of the smaller towns make a nice change after being in the bigger cities of Rome, florence, and Venice. You'll enjoy the change.

You will have a great time, lots of good memories.

Happy honeymoon.

Old Nov 14th, 2004, 10:11 AM

The CT is much more rustic and is really about hiking--lots of young backpackers. The Lakes are more serene and relaxing, but still with amazing scenery. After 12 trips to Italy the lakes are still my favorite venue. Logistically, it also makes more sense if you can fly home from Milan.
Old Nov 15th, 2004, 12:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies!

It really sounds like CT is not exactly as romantic as I thought. I am now seriously considering replacing it with the Lakes. I want to know which town you would recommend and how I can get there from Venice and then later to Milan. We will not have a car at that stage.

I didn't specially liked Rome when I was there last time but I have the impression that I will appreciate more of the city when I return. However, at this moment, I would not consider adding one more day to Rome simply because I want to be settled in Tuscany as soon as possible and leave more honeymoon time after the wedding.

I like the idea of adding one day to Venice. The problem is, in that case, I have to take one day from somewhere. Where should I take it from?

I really want to fix this itinerary soon, so that I can start booking tickets and accomodation. Thanks again.
Old Nov 15th, 2004, 06:43 AM
ira

Hi maxi,

Take one night from the lakes and give it to Venice.

You cannot spend too much time in Venice.
Old Nov 15th, 2004, 10:18 AM

Without a car I suggest you stay in Varenna. The train stops there via Milan. You will like Lago Como.
Old Nov 15th, 2004, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Ira and Bob.

I will think about that distribution of time. I just am not sure if that will mean too little time in the lakes, especially after the travel time from Venice.

Do you have any recommendation for accomodations in Varenna?
Old Nov 15th, 2004, 02:27 PM

Here is a good choice !
http://www.varenna.net/index.htm

I would give it at least 3 nites.
Old Nov 16th, 2004, 01:41 PM

Hi Maxi! Congratulations! We just returned from our 3 week HM on Sunday. I wrote up a trip report if you want to check it out. I also think 4 nights in the CT are too many. 2 would be perfect, and stay in Vernazza if you can. Also, you may even be able to drop a night from Florence. We were there for 3 nights, enjoyed it, but felt we could have used the extra night elsewhere. Good luck in your planning!
Old Nov 16th, 2004, 09:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again!

It was very tempting to see everything, although we know that it's impossible. I have also thought of cutting the last stop to make our trip more relaxing. I talked with my fiance about the possibilities and he told me that he would like to do the lakes. So, here is our new itinerary:

Rome - 4 nights
Pienza - 6 nights
Florence - 3 nights
Venice - 4 nights
Lakes - 4 nights

Do you think this is OK? Should we take one night from the lakes to Venice? I don't know very well what there is to do/see in the lake area. Can anyone advise?
Old Nov 17th, 2004, 03:37 AM

I was just in the CT and the last word I would use to describe it is romantic. It was jammed full of American with Rick Steeves guidelbbok in hand. Everything was expensive and I found it to lack charm. Yes, the scenery is beautiful but we stayed less than an hour and hopped on the next train north. I will not return.

The Lakes are pretty as are the Dolomites.

Just my opinion.
Old Nov 17th, 2004, 04:38 AM
ira

Hi maxi,

Latest itinerary looks good.

Only you can tell if you would rather be in Venice (described by Truman Capote as "a box of bonbons&quot for on more night or at the Lakes .
Old Nov 17th, 2004, 02:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again. I think we are pretty much settled with the idea of the lake area. We are now thinking of the exact location and accomodation.

We are also thinking of one more day in Venice but, as Ira said, in the end, we are the one to know.

Perhaps I have to read more about the lake areas to see what kind of activities we can have there.
Old Nov 18th, 2004, 12:07 PM

Not to confuse things, but I might suggest a car beyond Tuscany. We honeymooned there on a similar agenda. I assume that you will leave your wedding in a car, tour Florence area, then Venice, then the Lakes. We did not want a car, but got one and it was the best decision that we made. Get it in Rome and take off. You would park it while in Florence, which costs something, but this is your honeymoon! Reasons to get a car...

You do not live by train schedules.
Driving in Italy could not be easier.
You have much more freedom.
Moving from Hotel to hotel is much easier.
The drives become as much a part of the trip as the destinations.

At minimum, get a car in Venice and Drive to the Lakes. Strongly consider Bellagio, one of the most charming towns in Europe..especially in May. Amazing flowers, snow still visable in the Alps. Amazing...

I also would strongly consider a night in Sienna. With a car, you are only 1-1/2 hours from Florence taking the Chianti route (222?)...one of the nicest drives around. You get the benifit of seeing another great small city without much stress.

I have mixed feelings about adding to Venice...I might go the other way and spend 3 nights there. Don't get me wrong...Venice is amazing. But it requires energy, and we found that after being exhausted from getting married, then lounging through Tuscany, it was hard to adjust to the pace and logistics. I think Venice is best when you have a lot of time to explore...which is an arguement for adding a day...

I think I would take a day away from Venice, spend 1 night in Sienna, casual drive up the Chianti route, then 3 nights in Florence...early departure to Venice.

Just one honeymooners' humble suggestions.

ZombyWoof