Italy Honeymoon

Jan 29th, 2006, 02:35 PM
Original Poster

Italy Honeymoon

I'm planning our honeymoon for Italy and I'm in a quandry when it comes to deciding on whether or not to use a travel agent, especially since there are so many wedding details to still plan. I'm a little hesitant to do this on my own since I really want to make the most of this trip as well as make it as relaxing as possible given the craziness of all the days leading up to the wedding. Can anyone offer more advice on where to begin? Our wedding's in late June and I know that it's probably not the best time to head out to Italy, but we still want to do it. I have some books, but it's just so overwhelming and with only 5 months to go, is this enough time to plan it on my own?

Thanks for everyone's advice in advance!
Gary
Jan 29th, 2006, 02:52 PM

Gary---yes, there is plenty of time, although you should get your plane tickets fairly soon; the World Cup soccer games in Germany June 9 to July 9 are affecting the plane travel to other European destinations as well. For a honeymoon, you want to keep things simple, so limit the places you visit. If you fly into Milan, you could visit the lakes (Albergo Milan in Varenna on Lago di Como has a honeymoon package). From there, depending on your interests, you could visit Tuscany, Cinque Terra, and/or the Dolomites. Venice is also perfect for honeymooners, but maybe not in July.

My boss went to these places in Italy last summer---it was his first trip to Europe, and the only guide they used was Rick Steves. He said all the recommendations were perfect. So you really don't need to spend all that much time in planning, unless you want to.
Jan 29th, 2006, 03:07 PM
Doble_Vergasser

If you have airplane tix and room reservations, that is most of the battle.

How many days do you have?
What appx budget do you have?
Is this a 4 star only plan, or will 2 star be okay?

Land in Venice. Take a boat from Marco Polo airport into Venice. I am more familiar with the less expensive hotels, not honeymoon quality hotels.

The lakes (especially Lake Como) would be a good choice. Bellagio has many hotels and Villa d'Este (in Cernobbio)is probably a world class hotel.

If you have enough days then you could add another city/town.

If you want to hand the travel arrangements off, then I think some posters on this site have part-time travel planning businesses (maybe full time). Just don't hand the planning to someone without specific Italy experience.

Jan 29th, 2006, 04:46 PM

Yes, of course you can do it, and you will probably save money, too.

I especially like the suggestions there to stick to the northern parts of Italy. It's probably best for summer, and for relaxing, in the busy tourist season. You probably don't want to be anywhere that will be horribly hot.

I like the idea of flying into Milan. I suggest Bellagio on Lake Como, then perhaps the Ligurian coast. I prefer the area around Santa Margherita Ligure to the Cinque Terre, but that is just my preference. Very easy transport connections. If you wanted to, you could also squeeze in a visit to Florence.
Jan 29th, 2006, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

thanks for everyone's replies thus far. Given that this is our first time in Italy, we were hoping to check out most of the touristy spots given that we may or may not head back again. Doing the gondola ride, seeing the sistine chapel, etc. We are probably going to have about 10-12 days in Italy, so I figure we should definitely hit the highlights but also have some time to unwind and relax. From most of the responses on Fodor, it sounds like Venice is a MUST. As far as a budget goes, we're probably hoping for $3000-4000 per person (though I don't know if this is too much or not enough). And as far as accomodations go, 3 or 4 star would be fine, but also not too far off the beaten path.
Jan 29th, 2006, 05:12 PM
Doble_Vergasser

Rough idea for costs: Two people, 10 to 14 days, minimum cost $5,000 total. This is a two star budget.

With six to eight thousand you can splurge once in a while. From my perspective, the accomodations are a fun part of the trip. I have stayed in a 600 year old castle/chateux, the only guests that night, had breakfast with the owners (the Count and Countess) and paid 130 euro (total).
I have also stayed in a nice two star, lake front mini suite and paid 200 euro per night (but that included dinner and there was three of us.)

Jan 29th, 2006, 05:48 PM
Doble_Vergasser

To get the sistine chapel, add Rome to your itinerary. If you want this then you can look a guide book for Rome and think about how days Rome deserves (There may a Top 10 book for Rome).

You should probably post a new thread 'Need honeymoon but afforable hotel in Venice' or similar and for Bellagio and Rome.

Jan 29th, 2006, 08:09 PM

Fly into Rome and out of Venice (or other 'open jaw' combination plane ticket), take the train in between. Book hotels in 3 cities, towns, regions staying 4 days each place.

That's truly all you need to do. Buy a guidebook and read it on the plane ride over. Rick Steves is a good first time suggestion.

for Venice check with www.lacalcina.com as soon as possible. it's a lovely 3-star hotel many Fodor posters have stayed at, never heard a bad review yet.
Jan 29th, 2006, 08:49 PM

Yes---if you are going to Venice, Pensione La Calcine is wonderful---great location, ambiance, and a friendly staff. Ask for a view room--they look out on the Giudecca Canal. Our lovely room there was 160 euros (in April).

As for cost, we have consistently come out around $2400-$2500 per person, for a two week trip to Switzerland---which is more expensive than Italy. If you budget $6000 that will allow for a splurge or two.

It sounds like you want to include Rome, Venice and Florence---the major tourist spots. That is fine-relaxing break either in the Lake district or the Ligurian Coast. For all of those places, travel by train makes the most sense.
Jan 30th, 2006, 06:27 AM
ira

Hi G,

10-12 days for Venice, Florence and Rome is fine.

Your budget is fine.

For airfare, go to www.kayak.com and www.1800flyeurope.com.

For accomodations look up <city name AND hotel> in the "search this forum' box.

For what to see/do start with the miniguides under "Destinations".

Enjoy your visit.

Jan 30th, 2006, 10:53 PM
Original Poster

thanks again to everyone who's replied thus far....you all are awesome and i've become addicted to this forum site. after reading your replies and some of the other posts, i'm really excited about doing this on our own and not through a travel agent.