Honeymoon in Northern Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19th, 2013, 07:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Fiance and I are thinking about going to northern Italy for our honeymoon. I have only been to Europe once in college (southern Spain) and my Fiance hasn't traveled to Europe at all. We would be more interested in experiencing food, wine, culture, and scenery versus touring a lot of historic site, museums, and cathedrals. We plan to go in late April into early May and would be able spend about two weeks (limiting our cities to about 3-4 so we aren't constantly moving around). Since this is our honeymoon we would like it to be as relaxing and stress free as possible. The following are a few cities/areas we are interested in:
Venice
Lake Como (not sure what specific town)
Piedmont region (not sure what city)
Cinque Terre (also not sure what speciifc town)

I would love recommendations on itineraries, what airports to fly in and out of, whether to take trains or rent a car, hotels/apartment recommendations, whether it makes sense to see all those cities in a two week trip, recommendations on other towns that we might not be thinking about, etc.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Old Sep 19th, 2013, 07:53 AM

I would first read through trip reports that cover those areas. It also helps to read the sections on those places in a guide book to help narrow your focus (or, read the tourism bureau websites on those areas).
Check open jaw flights into Venice and out of Milan, Turin, Genoa, Florence, or Pisa. (Perhaps even Bologna, as you may end up wanting to explore Emilia Romagna if you cut something else).
You would not want to add anything, and though your time allotted works just fine, you may end up wanting to remove a stop to add time elsewhere. For example, three days is nice in one small town, but if you become totally enamored with the Piedmont in your research, you may decide to drop one of the other places.
I'd also suggest checking typical weather at that time of year (but never bank on weather being any certain way).
Take train from city to city, but rent a car while you are in the Piedmont. Other than Venice, there is not much to "see" per se, but much to enjoy.
Once you nail down your locations, check hotels on trip advisor, booking.com, venere.
Old Sep 19th, 2013, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your response. Based on what we like to do and the time of year we will be going do you recommend certain cities over others or maybe a city that I didn't mention?
Old Sep 19th, 2013, 08:56 AM

I think what you have would be a lovely trip given your interests--you cannot really go wrong in Italy!
Some people love Cinque Terre, and others like me find it too crowded. I think in such a popular, small place, it can be difficult to really get the feel of a place in terms of culture, but if you stay a few nights that is bound to be different for you. Note there are many other small towns along the coast, it is just that CT is so convenient because of the hiking paths linking them. Once you start reading up on the area, another town may appeal to you.
I really liked Alba in Piedmont, which you'll see come up often in trip reports. I have yet to visit the lakes or Venice.
Old Sep 19th, 2013, 11:56 AM

With two weeks at your disposal, limiting yourselves to four locations would be about the right balance between maximizing what you can see and not overdoing the travelling aspect of your trip.
With a specific itinerary planned, you can use the train service to almost every destination and eliminate the stress of driving and navigation.
Based on a recent trip to the region, a possible itinerary :
Arriving in Milan, perhaps an overnight there might be sufficient to get a flavour of the city - the Duomo, la Scala, the designer shops....
There is a direct rail link to Varenna, a pleasant small town on Lake Como with good ferry links to the main attractions like Bellagio, Villa Carlotta etc. A few days there would suffice before heading for Venice by train (through Milan).
Four days minimum for Venice.
We moved onward to Lake Garda, taking the direct train to Desenzano; we took an early train, getting off at 10 in Verona and depositing our luggage for the day in the railway station, resuming the journey at 6 having seen most of what the city had to offer in the interim.
Desenzano has good ferry links with other lake towns like Sirmione and Bardolino.
With what remaining time you have left, I would make tracks for Florence..... If you can fly home from there, great.
Old Sep 19th, 2013, 12:36 PM

Just so you know: The weather in CT and LC could be a bit chilly in late-April. So don't expect beach/swimming weather.
Old Sep 19th, 2013, 01:59 PM

we spent some time there this spring... we loved the area..

we stayed on lake maggiore at Baveno in a wonderful B&B over a fab restaurant---Locanda Verbena..

we also stayed in piedmont at a fancy B&B near Nizza---Casa di Maio---absolutely fabulous--views and hostess--wonderful home cooked breakfast..
Old Sep 19th, 2013, 02:05 PM

We spent a couple of days at Villa d'Este on Lake Como. Dostly but worth it in every way. It was in September, however, so I couldn't say what the weather would be like when you're going. Its sister hotel is Villa La Massa, just north of Florence and looks fantastic.
Have a wonderful honeymoon wherever you go. Italy is so very romantic.
Old Sep 20th, 2013, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

I love all of the hotel recommendations. I truly appreciate the feedback! Anyone have recommendations on where to stay in Venice? What part of the city is best for wondering the streets, music, good food, etc.? Also has anyone taken the train from CT to Venice (probably through Milan I'm guessing)? How did that go? It looks like it might take about 6.5 hrs, correct?
Old Sep 20th, 2013, 07:51 AM

I'd wait until you get the whole itinerary worked out, as you may be able to work it so as to avoid a long travel day. But, yes, you'd transit through Milan.
Old Sep 20th, 2013, 10:20 AM
jgg

We were just in Venice for our second trip this past March we stayed in Hotel ai Reali and really loved it and thought it was quite reasonable. Venice is not that big, so really any of the neighborhoods will work out fine (just be sure and not stay in Mestre as that is NOT Venice proper).

We stayed at Baur B&B in Aqui Terme in Piemonte. We have done a fair amount of travel, and to this day this still remains our favorite hotel/B&B. It is located in the small town of Aqui Terme which has wineries and some wonderful restaurants. Diana and Mischa who run Baur B&B are the consummate hosts and provided the best breakfasts anywhere!!

If you rule out CT or Lakes due to weather, I would definitely consider Bologna. Definitely meets your criteria of food, wine and culture.

Here are some links to my trip reports that you may find helpful. We have been to all the places you mentioned:

http://www.fromhometoroam.com/2012/0...t-acqui-terme/
http://www.fromhometoroam.com/2012/0...-coast-lerici/
http://www.fromhometoroam.com/2012/08/bellagio-2010/
http://www.fromhometoroam.com/2012/08/bologna-2010/
http://www.fromhometoroam.com/2013/0...otel-ai-reali/
http://www.fromhometoroam.com/2012/05/venice-2005/
Old Sep 23rd, 2013, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

Jgg- Thanks so much for shaing your links! All of those places look amazing. We are getting very excited to start finalizing our trip details.
Old Sep 23rd, 2013, 07:18 AM

Second Bologna as one of your interests is food. All Italy has good food, but Bologna is the culinary capitol.