Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Websites offering international train tickets

Old May 24th, 2014, 02:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Booking international train journeys in Europe, especially at a good price, is never easy, since there is a lack of a central website to enable you to do this.

Our own Man in Seat 61 offers terrific advice, and the DB site is also a great resource of course.

I recently read an article in a Dutch news paper about a few new(ish) websites that are working hard to make booking European train journeys as easy as booking a plane ticket.
Maybe they will be of help to people here.

www.wanderio.com/

https://www.waymate.de/en/searches#

http://www.goeuro.nl/

https://loco2.com/

The last site offers tickets in Britain, France, Germany and Spain. Benelux will be added soon. The other sites offer a similar range of countries, sometimes with the option of cheap flights too.
Hopefully in time they will be able to include more European countries, making it a whole lot easier to plan and book train journeys.
Old Jul 1st, 2014, 07:53 AM

bookmarking
Old Jul 1st, 2014, 08:42 AM

There are redirects on goeuro/waymate so you end up on the rail suppliers website eg SNCB or DB. They are just info and planning tools, not booking tools. It is just as easy or easier to go direct to the rail company's website.
Old Jul 1st, 2014, 08:53 AM

I used Italiarail.com last year and found it very user friendly and it offered all the discounted fares as Trenitlaia. I know some posters here think it imposes additional restrictions on the tickets but IMO they were minimal (not applicable at all if you use the tickets), the website was easy to use and the booking fee minimal (maybe $5 total for multiple tickets). I'll use it again if I return to Italy.
Old Jul 1st, 2014, 08:54 AM

I tried these, at least all of the pertinent ones, for the country I know best, Italy. For all of them, I tried to find a way from Rome to Florence on Monday next week.

Wanderio: Inaccurate and confusing. On its main search result page, it showed a mix of trains and flights (wholly inappropriate for such a short trip), with a Polish tour bus thrown in, which started in Prague and passed through Florence before ending in Rome (wrong direction, among other things). I saw a train option that gave a travel time of 1 1/2 hours for €20, which would be a miracle on such short notice (although you can get fast trains for €19 if you reserve 120 days in advance). However, when I selected that option, it showed a regional train with a travel time of 3 hours and 45 minutes on a slow regional train.

Waymate found 28 flights!!! but no trains or buses. Maybe they have not access to the train schedules in Italy.

Goeuro was very slow, but it seemed to work, letting you choose train or plane, and the fastest or the cheapest train (or plane) on the given day. I didn't go so far as to book a train, but the cheapest one it found was an Intercity train for 19 euros, journey time of 2 hours and 40 minutes. When I chose the "fastest" option, it listed the cheapest ones first, which is useful, because you can still get some bargains this close to travel date if you travel at odd times of the day. It's helpful to see these options first rather than scrolling through a timetable looking for bargains.

I didn't try Loco, because Hetismij said it doesn't work in Italy yet.

If some other people would try these sites for countries they know well, it would be a useful addition to the collective knowledge.
Old Jul 1st, 2014, 10:21 AM

I don't see any problem in goeuro's forwarding your request to the national rail (or air) vendor. Its value would be in offering a uniform interface for their various dissimilar web sites.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to handle cross-border trains unless they have a single operator. That would be very useful!

The EU should require that these operators sell each other's tickets.