Ok - so my train issues leads me to another train questions -

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2004, 06:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know everyone says wait to buy tickets and make reservations in Italy so...
If I want to be sure to get onto a Eurostar train (we are only in italy for 8 days so every minute counts) should I still wait till I get to Italy to make reservations?

And if so, when I get to Rome (my first stop) can I make all my train reservations for all the cities?
Old Feb 28th, 2004, 06:47 PM

Yes & yes !
Any travel agency in Rome can do it in minutes--or at the station.
Print the schedules here and tell them what you want to avoid language problems. ES trains are good but not required. Above all, relax and enjoy yourself--smile alot and have gelato daily.
Old Feb 29th, 2004, 12:34 AM

I just returned from my first trip to Italy few days ago. We travelled by train alot, esp. Eurostar (marked with ES on the schedule). You can go to the website of the train company, "Trenitalia", click on the british flag for english language, and check the schedules, etc. We bought tickets each time just prior to each trip when we arrived at the station without problems, but we were there in February (low season). We also travelled early am, don't know if that makes a difference. I bought first class tickets the first time, kind of by mistake, and it really wasn't worth the extra $. the regular class train is very nice and comfy. Trenitalia also has 'intercity' (marked IC) trains, which make more stops, but are also nice and comfy, have six seat compartments with luggage racks in each one. I heard they fill up more, but if you get on an early am train, or at end of line, may be okay. I think you can also reserve seats for them. You should also be able to book with a travel agent here, I know AAA was going to book them for me, but i didn't have specifics to do so. Bob's advice is good- also to enjoy yourself, definitely eat gelato, pizza, pasta and fresh mozzarella, espressos, and all the other great food every day, and - be prepared to walk ALOT! Have a wonderful trip!! Also, the trains run pretty much on time, very easy to find track number, etc. when you get to the stations. Ciao!
Old Feb 29th, 2004, 04:17 AM
ira

Hi kellib,

Yuo can get all of your train tickets upon arrival at the train station at FCO airport.

If you wish, you can buy tickets online at www.trenitalia.com.

See Trenitalia Tickets Online

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34465647

Old Feb 29th, 2004, 04:56 AM

kellib, I was in Italy last spring and what I did was simple and easy. I printed out the train schedules (like Bob said) that I wanted before leaving for Italy to bring with me.

When I got to Italy I went to travel agent office's (they are literally everywhere in Rome) and bought the tickets very easily with no fee. I did this in each of the 4 cities I stayed in and I bought the tickets one or two days in advance.

You can make all the train reservations at once if you like but I did them in each city just in case we decided to change our itinerary at the last minute. Enjoy your trip!