Weather in Zakopane in Early May

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19th, 2015, 07:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to travel with my son to Poland and due to scheduling we will have to travel in early May. Will the mountains be snow covered? Is there a lot of snow/rain/cold during that part of the year?
We both enjoy cool temperatures, but wouldn't like to have to wear snow boots on a hike. I was in Poland last September and am looking forward to having my son join my for some additional ancestry research and mountain hiking. We may also drive into Slovakia. My son has never been to Europe so looking to have a memorable trip with him. Thank you for any suggestions and advice
Old Nov 19th, 2015, 11:02 PM

The weather can be varied. When we were there, we had a light overnight covering of snow in Zakopane proper which disappeared by noon. That was on May 17. The mountains were covered with snow.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mksfca/7624824538
Old Nov 20th, 2015, 08:54 AM

http://www.holiday-weather.com/zakopane/averages/may/
Old Dec 2nd, 2015, 05:26 AM

Hi Kassie,

Zakopane is in the mountains (the highest mountains in Poland), so the weather changes very fast.
Probably, if you wouldn't like to go very high, you won't need mountain boots, but usually on 1-3 May we end the ski season (this year I was skiing at this time) - above 2000 mamsl - you'll find a lot of snow for sure. On Rysy (the highest peak) in Poland, snow started to melt at the begining of June...

I recommend you take trekking boots (waterproof - snow is melting so even in the lower part is very wet) - It can happen that this kind of shooes will be 'must have' to go outside and it would be very pitty to look at the mountains and couldn't go there.